150/60 vs 140/70

I've searched and searched but didn't really find what I was looking for, mostly just questions on fitment and how street/dirt tires are in such sizes. What I am interested in is 100% street/pavement riding. And once I get the bike where I want it will be looking to do a few track days. I'm wondering how changing the rear to a 150/60 is going to effect the bike, I am going to be looking for tires soon. The 150/60 should be a bit shorter then a 140/70 but I really wanted to know how it would generally effect the handling. 

While i'm not set on anything, I was looking at the Michelin Power RS tires which you can get in the 150/60 size and maybe the continental SM's in the 140/70 size

michelin_tires_power_rs_tires.jpg

What do you all think?

Edited by SKIPPY PB

im no racer but i do ride alot and have some corners and turns i know like the back of my hand and not afraid to lean into them hard ... i can tell you a couple of things from my perspective, first, i like the looks of a wider tire, but imo the 140/70 has a better profile and a more sure feel for 'my' type of riding ... another thing is the compound, the 150 im currently using has a softer more track oriented compound and its definitely more sticky but also wears faster im going to get about 4K miles out of it not the end of the world but not so great either, so i think compound is way more important than tire size for grip BUT as i said the profile of the tire i think works better on the SM in 140 size 'with the smaller rim width'  ..  the later model SM's have alittle wider rim and the profile of a 150 probably works better on them, how much better or 'if' its better than 140 couldnt tell you .. i have the thinner rim so next tire and from now on for me personally will be a 140 ..

• Like 2

I see I see, a lot of people hate on the stock tires but for what they are I don't think they are that bad. They seem to be more of a sport touring tire at least thats how I feel about them. They aren't super soft and don't wear that quickly. I haven't pushed my bike into a territory where it needs  more then that though. I'm sure on a track they wouldn't take heat cycles well. I have a 2014 so I think its a 4.5" rim IIRC. Based of the aspect ratio and width the 150 should be .1" where the 140 is .7". Michelin won't respond when I ask for the actual specs on the tire, actual approx height, weight, etc. Which is pretty odd from a big company, instead of ignoring that question you would think they would just come up with some bullshit response like every other large companys customer service.

I guess i'll be the test dummy since I haven't found anyone else running these tires on a DRZ. Seeing that they seem to be street bike focus'd they will probably be a pain in the ass to throw on in the garage and stuff a tube in there.

16 hours ago, SKIPPY PB said:

I've searched and searched but didn't really find what I was looking for, mostly just questions on fitment and how street/dirt tires are in such sizes. What I am interested in is 100% street/pavement riding. And once I get the bike where I want it will be looking to do a few track days. I'm wondering how changing the rear to a 150/60 is going to effect the bike, I am going to be looking for tires soon. The 150/60 should be a bit shorter then a 140/70 but I really wanted to know how it would generally effect the handling. 

While i'm not set on anything, I was looking at the Michelin Power RS tires which you can get in the 150/60 size and maybe the continental SM's in the 140/70 size

michelin_tires_power_rs_tires.jpg

What do you all think?

Can't go wrong with Michelin or Continental when it comes to there sticky Street/trackday Tires. The tire above I'm running right now does everything great.

A wider tire will have more surface area on the contact patch, therefore proving more grip then a narrower tire. The narrower tire will provide faster turn in due to its profile. It's also lighter so it will allow the bike to accelerate faster. The higher aspect ratio tire will ride better.

In reality there isn't a significant difference between the two sizes you mentioned. If you were moving two tire sizes the differences I noted would be magnified.

I think im going to grab them in a week or so. Feel like these are going to need a good tire iron for the job.

19 hours ago, hemm118 said:

Can't go wrong with Michelin or Continental when it comes to there sticky Street/trackday Tires. The tire above I'm running right now does everything great.

Did you got 150 or 160?

The 150's are fine. Some guys run 160's

How can you run a 160 on a drz. I have trouble fitting a 150

7 hours ago, Bwright said:

How can you run a 160 on a drz. I have trouble fitting a 150

I'm actually running 160/60-17 BT-090 for my rear. It's possible. Chain doesn't even rub....barely. I still however recommend riding on 140's. My use of 160's was just a product of desperation. Bought a bike with bald tires, no smaller sizes available in the area.

160 leans like a fat pig.

i spent alot of time comparing the 2 sizes you have mentioned in the original post. a 150/60 is a lower profile than 140/70 and as such will change your final drive ratio quite a bit. due to the 140/70 being taller it will also change your geometry slightly and to get even more specific it will change the reading on the oil dipstick. due to popular belief a 150/60 on the same size rim will have less of a contact patch than a 140/70 due to the rounder profile as it is "squeezed" on to the rim. a 140/70 will turn much quicker than a 150/60 but feel slightly less stable at speed. my 140/70 bias tire is a full 1kg lighter than a 150/60 radial equivalent, the radial i weighed was pirelli rosso 2. i spent time on the go cart track with the 140/70 and i was dragging the foot pegs before i could find the edge of the tire so don't ever think you can't lean a 140. as mentioned a 140/70 will have a slightly more forgiving feel over bumps due to the higher profile. in my findings the biggest difference between the 2 is tire height so i would choose the size dependant on the gearing you prefer e.g choose the 140/70 if you do alot of highway work.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dg400sm said:

i spent alot of time comparing the 2 sizes you have mentioned in the original post. a 150/60 is a lower profile than 140/70 and as such will change your final drive ratio quite a bit. due to the 140/70 being taller it will also change your geometry slightly and to get even more specific it will change the reading on the oil dipstick. due to popular belief a 150/60 on the same size rim will have less of a contact patch than a 140/70 due to the rounder profile as it is "squeezed" on to the rim. a 140/70 will turn much quicker than a 150/60 but feel slightly less stable at speed. my 140/70 bias tire is a full 1kg lighter than a 150/60 radial equivalent, the radial i weighed was pirelli rosso 2. i spent time on the go cart track with the 140/70 and i was dragging the foot pegs before i could find the edge of the tire so don't ever think you can't lean a 140. as mentioned a 140/70 will have a slightly more forgiving feel over bumps due to the higher profile. in my findings the biggest difference between the 2 is tire height so i would choose the size dependant on the gearing you prefer e.g choose the 140/70 if you do alot of highway work.

Agreed! I've always run a 150/60 rear but last weekend I mounted a 140/70 because the tire vendor (at the track) was out of 150's.  I pretty much experienced the same results. Biggest difference being the gearing...I"m gonna have to go up at least one tooth on the rear sprocket to compensate for the taller tire...it just wouldn't pull top gear (I was running 15/38 with the 150). Handling felt much quicker when I first got on the bike but after a couple laps it felt normal to me.

as a general rule i would prefer 140 with 4.25 rim and 150 with 4.5 rim. if you plan to do some track days go with 150, with whatever rim size.  140 lacks surface at very high lean angles. even the more pointed profile i ever tried (pirelli rosso 2 racing single compound) lacks surface , with stock 4.5 rim it's too easy to use all the surface of the tire on the street.  150 and 4.25 would be my favourite combo for track days, you will probably get some chicken strips on the road at resonable pace and you'll use all the surface at the track. while leaning hard 150 offer a more planted feeling that makes you faster and safer.

i run power rs now , not the fastest handling tire on earth for sure. feeling is quite planted and progressive, a little more planted than power 2ct or power 3.   for comparison both  sport attack 2 and  3 give a lighter feeling. i've never tried contiattack sm but i've been told that paired with racing geometry (less sag at the rear) can be too twitchy for some rider and gives no noticeable advantage over the new attack3 that offers a slightly more compliant carcass (front attack 2 was a little harsh over bumps) and way better grip over wet or dirty surfaces.

conti 2/3 are a little faster too warm up but rs are rideable cold without any surprise.

in the middle of the bend power rs are very reassuring and grippy; slightly better than sport 2 or 3  , they only need more effort to change direction.

rosso 2 rear 140/70 mono compound , the sporty version available in italy, was one of the lightest tires on the market ,  it can be heavier than a bias tire only if you weighted new VS used , or if you have a more touring dual compound 140/70 available in your area.

by the way 140/70 single compound  works extremely well with rosso corsa front.  on the dry, street or track days.

Edited by 30x26
  • Like 1

Interesting. I've only ridden on the street so far and wont go wild out here but I really haven't been able to find the edge of the tire. Still have a mm or two to go for chicken strips but I have drift slid the bike taking low speed corners with maybe a little to much gas. I don't know what its really worth though, I have only run the stock tires and they are worn very irregularly. Did a little too long with 0 PSI in the rear tire. Also didn't re align the bike right after dropping it and it seems like the shifter side of the rear tire is worn more then the other side.

So i'm not sure I can really compare that to anything. How is the Power RS front tire? Maybe I can run that with its 150 first and then maybe try the conti SM 140 rear after. I'm pretty light at ~140lb without gear but these bikes feel like bigs to me anyway. My 2 stroke YZ was like 240 lbs this thing feels like a cruiser to me. I almost drop it at lights all the time because i'm used to that light yz where you can balance it on the knobbys with like 1 finger.

4 hours ago, SKIPPY PB said:

Interesting. I've only ridden on the street so far and wont go wild out here but I really haven't been able to find the edge of the tire. Still have a mm or two to go for chicken strips but I have drift slid the bike taking low speed corners with maybe a little to much gas. I don't know what its really worth though, I have only run the stock tires and they are worn very irregularly. Did a little too long with 0 PSI in the rear tire. Also didn't re align the bike right after dropping it and it seems like the shifter side of the rear tire is worn more then the other side.

So i'm not sure I can really compare that to anything. How is the Power RS front tire? Maybe I can run that with its 150 first and then maybe try the conti SM 140 rear after. I'm pretty light at ~140lb without gear but these bikes feel like bigs to me anyway. My 2 stroke YZ was like 240 lbs this thing feels like a cruiser to me. I almost drop it at lights all the time because i'm used to that light yz where you can balance it on the knobbys with like 1 finger.

i am a similar weight to you. i would go with a 150/60 and position the forks to 0mm on the triple clamp. a 140/70 changes the geometery too much for light guys,heavier guys get way more rear sag to bring everything where it should be. i had to put lowering links on my drz when using the 140/70

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 0:38 PM, SKIPPY PB said:

I think im going to grab them in a week or so. Feel like these are going to need a good tire iron for the job.

Did you got 150 or 160?

160 more tire when leaned over plus I like the feel of the 160 better.

3 hours ago, hemm118 said:

160 more tire when leaned over plus I like the feel of the 160 better.

perhaps at incredible lean angles at the track. imho for the average rider  160+narrow rim  have a bad shape ( sides are almost vertical) . average rider only pays more for  added rotational weight and unusable rubber.

by the way if you measure actual width of stock dunlop you will be surprised, it's nearer to 150 than 140.... 

Edited by 30x26
  • Like 1

Just installed new Michelins    on mine.went with 150 .60 on rear .fits great and very grippy.got 2000 miles on stockers. .these tires are excellent also 120/70 on front.makes this Ole pig turn pretty damn good for what it is

Edited by speedyreedy