Rear shock leaks - 2005 400 EXC

I recently acquired a 2005 400 EXC. The engine is great, but suspension seems off. I tried to adjust the rear shocky bush, and the low speed was 35 clicks out. I moved it back in a ways. The high speed adjuster was all the way in tight (for a reason evidently). When I backed it out, it hissed and started leaking oil, so i tightened it back up.

How big a deal is this to fix? Keep in mind I am a total newb to this stuff. I don't want to buy a new shock for like $900. Can I rebuild this, and what parts to I need?

Going to run you about $225 for new seal and rebuild , assuming the shock body isn't wore out. not something Id recommend as do it yourself.

Edited by Spud786
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, dgspencer said:

I recently acquired a 2005 400 EXC. The engine is great, but suspension seems off. I tried to adjust the rear shocky bush, and the low speed was 35 clicks out. I moved it back in a ways. The high speed adjuster was all the way in tight (for a reason evidently). When I backed it out, it hissed and started leaking oil, so i tightened it back up.

How big a deal is this to fix? Keep in mind I am a total newb to this stuff. I don't want to buy a new shock for like $900. Can I rebuild this, and what parts to I need?

I don't think the stock shock on your bike came with low and high speed adjusters. I'm not sure what you loosened but since you released the pressure you should have the shock serviced. Call around for prices. I've had shocks serviced for much less than the price in the above post.

Ok, well hopefully I didn't screw something up. Guess I should read the manual next time. It's just extremely soft and probably worn out, I thought I could do something about it. :lame:

I will get a couple quotes and get it done. I haven't checked what spring is on there yet, but it's probably not heavy enough for me anyway, so I will have someone dial the suspension in for me.

A 2005 model does not have a hi speed compression adjustment. You will now need to have your shock serviced and recharged .

Should not cost more than 60 or 70 bucks tops.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2017 at 9:21 AM, E-TECH said:

A 2005 model does not have a hi speed compression adjustment. You will now need to have your shock serviced and recharged .

Should not cost more than 60 or 70 bucks tops.

Ok, thanks for the info. Figured I screwed something up, will try to do better research next time before diving it. I don't feel too bad though, something did not feel right anyway. Maybe it's just the spring, which is not heavy enough for 200+ pounds. I will have the shock serviced, correct spring installed, and suspension set for me.

I had my suspension serviced on my 05 450, resprung for my weight, 210 with gear and went with a racetech P30 rear spring, set up the sag properly......night and day difference.

If your gonna spend a little money put it in the suspension first....instead of the bling.😁

• Like 2

On 7/9/2017 at 6:58 AM, UH1H said:

I had my suspension serviced on my 05 450, resprung for my weight, 210 with gear and went with a racetech P30 rear spring, set up the sag properly......night and day difference.

If your gonna spend a little money put it in the suspension first....instead of the bling.😁

But, I want new plastics, graphics kit, and I have all these stickers from the stuff I've bought, I want it to look purdy! :lol: I did get some functional bling. The Dunlop D606 rear took a nail last week (of all the things, a screw shank nail in the middle of nowhere). And I, uh, damaged the bead. I was not planning on this tire, but ended up with a GoldenTyre GT333. Son and I had a fun ride, up to 8100', found snow. New tire was a bit nicer off road than the old one, and it looks badass! 

Seriously though, I am researching springs right now. I'm on call this week(end) so I can't ride, so want to get the suspension done this week. I'm probably taking it to Moto One. Their shop here in Boise is small, but great rep. I will hit up the suspension section, much thinking to do. I gained 10-15 lbs. due to shoulder surgery and sitting around, so I plan on losing that back. Looking at 185-190 w/o gear. I have read that progressive rear is good, and also read that linear is better. Hmm, what's a guy to do?

20170709_113956.jpg

• Like 1