Sign in to follow this  

Am I too tall for a CR85 big wheel?

I am fairly new to dirt bikes but I am looking at purchasing one to ride around a dirt track/through the woods. Possibly something that has lots of aftermarket parts available for it...I am roughly 5' 11" (maybe a bit taller), so it also needs to be something that I will be comfortable riding.

Originally I was looking at the CR125 but they are £1,200+ second hand which is way out of my budget. Soo I started looking at the CR85 big wheel instead which I can probably pick up for around £600 or less (£600 is the most I can spend on a motorbike). I've done some research and most people say that the CR85 becomes too small when you reach about 5' 6" in height. Does this mean that it would be way too small for me to ride?

Are there any other bigger bikes that go for around £600 (I can probably push to around £650/700 if I have to) second hand, which would be more suitable for my height? It will only get ridden roughly one day every 2/3 weeks around a dirt track. Thanks 

maxresdefault.jpg

Way too small.  You're a full sized adult.  Look for full sized bikes.  Throwing 600 GBP away on a bike that isn't right for you just so you can get it now is being penny wise and pound foolish.  Save up until you can afford a 125.

Doc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doc_d said:

Way too small.  You're a full sized adult.  Look for full sized bikes.  Throwing 600 GBP away on a bike that isn't right for you just so you can get it now is being penny wise and pound foolish.  Save up until you can afford a 125.

Doc

I'm in no rush to get one...I was just looking around at what bikes were available for what I want it for, and I got a little confused. I saw some posts online where adults were riding the CR85 and they said it's great fun. But then other posts say that the CR85 is only for kids.

Like I said, I'm roughly 5' 11" but only 110 lbs. I have come straight from car racing to motorbikes (I have ridden a few bikes before) so I'm fairly new to them, and I'm not really sure what bikes are good. I am only 17, almost 18 and I don't have a job; the £600 I have saved up was from selling some old race car bits, so I really don't have any other way of saving up anymore money. Especially not another £600+ for a CR125.

The bike will only be ridden one day every 2/3 weeks when I take it to a dirt track near me, so it won't be used enough for me to spend crazy amounts on it any way. Anything big enough for me to ride, between 85cc to 125cc, and within my price range will do. 

I'd honestly hold out for a 125.  Keep your eyes open for a good deal or try to save more.  Are you a full time student?  If so, perhaps you parents can help.  If not, then you should be finding employment.  

You'll also need some money for gear.  At a minimum, some boots, helmet, goggles and gloves.  If you have friends that ride perhaps someone has some old gear they'd let you have on the cheap.  Even a perfect bike is going to need gas, premix oil, gear oil, chain lube, etc.  Those are additional expenses to consider as well.  Keep in mind perfect used bikes are aboit as common as unicorns.

Good luck!  Once you're on two wheels in the dirt you'll be hooked and having a blast.

Doc

2 hours ago, Doc_d said:

I'd honestly hold out for a 125.  Keep your eyes open for a good deal or try to save more.  Are you a full time student?  If so, perhaps you parents can help.  If not, then you should be finding employment.  

You'll also need some money for gear.  At a minimum, some boots, helmet, goggles and gloves.  If you have friends that ride perhaps someone has some old gear they'd let you have on the cheap.  Even a perfect bike is going to need gas, premix oil, gear oil, chain lube, etc.  Those are additional expenses to consider as well.  Keep in mind perfect used bikes are aboit as common as unicorns.

Good luck!  Once you're on two wheels in the dirt you'll be hooked and having a blast.

Doc

Oh yeah, I already have things like a helmet, gloves, and my brother has motorbikes so I can get a few bits from him. Things like fuel will be bought by my parents...My dad will be getting a bike too, but he has more money so obviously he can buy a more expensive bike.

What is your opinion on a dt125? I saw a really nice one online. They took all the lights off, put a racing reed on it, handguards, grippier tyre on the back, stickers, ect. Basically turned it in to a trails type bike. I mean I could pick up a dt125 for around £600 or less (seen some going for £500) and just add parts as I go along? I did make a whole new post about this.

20170701_200201.png

Edited by Charmlessgamer

The DT has a lower set height (33 inches) than the cr85 -(34 inches) so pointless getting that

i would hold out a bit longer and save a bit more money

I'm going to agree with Doc and SOANZ -- what you're looking for is a two stroke 125 at that price range. They're cheap, easy to work on, and will fit you well. There are alternatives, however, that may actually work better for someone who is completely new to motorcycles; 125s are pretty peaky and can be intimidating power-wise at least at first.

Keep your eyes peeled for something like an XR200/XR250/XR400 (honda), DRZ400/DR350 (suzuki), TTR225/250 (yamaha), XT225/250 (yamaha), or CRF230F (honda). These are all four strokes and are tamer than a 2 stroke 125 and they are all dead reliable in addition to being more or less adult-sized bikes. They should also be similar in price to a 125 depending on condition. I'm in the USA so I'm not sure if all of these models are offered in the UK, but I'm sure most of them are as they're very popular bikes here.

Edited by hershmagersh
added some alternative bikes
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

The DT has a lower set height (33 inches) than the cr85 -(34 inches) so pointless getting that

i would hold out a bit longer and save a bit more money

(Correct me if I'm wrong; this is all stuff I have read online)!!!!!

Personally I don't see a 33 inch seat height being a problem...The only reason I say that is because a friend of mine used to own and ride a dt125 daily (he is much taller than me), and it was obviously made for an adult to ride. Also I'm assuming there are aftermarket parts to make the bike taller if I had to, further down the line...

I was more worried about the weight of it. It is a 218 lbs bike which is almost twice my weight, so I'm not sure how easy I will be able to manoeuvre it around.

The difference between the CR85 and dt125 is the wheel base. A lot of adults online enjoyed and were comfortable riding the CR85; they just didn't like how short the bike was. Like I said ^^ the dt125 is obviously made for adults to ride (17+ in the UK) and it is a much bigger bike. I'm pretty sure the CR125 only has a 36 inch seat height, but the reason people like it is because of the overall size of the bike.

3 hours ago, hershmagersh said:

I'm going to agree with Doc and SOANZ -- what you're looking for is a two stroke 125 at that price range. They're cheap, easy to work on, and will fit you well. There are alternatives, however, that may actually work better for someone who is completely new to motorcycles; 125s are pretty peaky and can be intimidating power-wise at least at first.

Keep your eyes peeled for something like an XR200/XR250/XR400 (honda), DRZ400/DR350 (suzuki), TTR225/250 (yamaha), XT225/250 (yamaha), or CRF230F (honda). These are all four strokes and are tamer than a 2 stroke 125 and they are all dead reliable in addition to being more or less adult-sized bikes. They should also be similar in price to a 125 depending on condition. I'm in the USA so I'm not sure if all of these models are offered in the UK, but I'm sure most of them are as they're very popular bikes here.

Honestly I have no idea. I have ridden a few motorbikes before, but I am more of a car guy so I'm still fairly new to bikes. I would have to look them up to find out which ones are available here. The way I am choosing these bikes is cost, location, and online reviews. I have seen LOADS of nice, cheap bikes online (Facebook, gumtree, ect) but I am not prepared to drive say 3 hours+ to go pick it up...

Like I said on another comment, I have literally just come straight from car racing to motorbikes so there is obviously a lot that I still need to learn (my dad knows quite a bit about bikes). The reason I randomly changed was to ride with my brother (he has motorbikes), and my dad is looking at getting one too. The £600 I have "saved up" is just what I got from some old race car stuff. ORIGINALLY the plan was to sell all my car stuff (which I have done), then spend that money on a motorbike so I was literally just moving from one sport to the other, and it wouldn't cost me any more money. Unfortunately it doesn't look like it is going to go as planned.