KTM 390 vs DRZ400?

Just looking to see if anybody has experience with the 2016 KTM 390 duke. I currently have a 2004 DRZ 400 with 43,000 miles and only has gone through one stator. I have a full FMF Powercore system with an FCR carb and 3X3.

Not sure how much horsepower I have. It's starting to blow blue smoke upon hard acceleration. So it's probably lost a few horsepower. 

I have a 2017 KTM 392 on order and just waiting for it to arrive in the states. Has anybody riden both and if so what are your opinions?

1 hour ago, locutus said:

Not sure how much horsepower I have. It's starting to blow blue smoke upon hard acceleration. So it's probably lost a few horsepower. 

what are your opinions?

I'd run some Marvel Mystery oil in it to see if the smoke problem is just varnish in the rings.

The 390 is a rocket compared to the DRZ. The 390 does like to rev and the more aggressive you are the better it works. The 6spd is considerably better spaced and get 3x the fuel mileage then the DRZ. The suspension is stiff as hell and not in anyway plush.

Its not as 'offroad' savvy as the DRZ 's' but more comparable to the SM. The body sits low and only a few inches off the ground. I find the 390 to be a bit more comfortable in terms of cockpit/rider position due to its low seat height and you're more tucked 'in' the bike.

The 390 is cheap though, and it feels cheap. When you start to really look at it, you can see it was made in India and not of the same Austrian quality of some of KTM other products. Does it make it bad, no, just know you are getting what you pay for. 

• Like 1

Not sure if the RC390 is the exact same but they have been having issues, particularly when ridden hard.

The fan fails and the bike overheats. People have also been blowing head gaskets as well as valves tightening up, especially the race bikes.

Edited by Dramabeats

• 9 months later...
Anyone else have any experience with the duke 390? Started looking at them

You might like to look elsewhere for info on your duke. It was a no brainer for me. The DRZ has been around for so long and has so many aftermarket parts because of it’s longevity. Also lots of information for working on your own bike. I suspect the drz is more documented and easier to modify than a KTM. This certainly influenced my decision. I have fuel injected and fitted hot cams, exhaust and am making about 45 hp (dynoed). I enjoy working on my own bike.
  • Like 2

You might like to look elsewhere for info on your duke. It was a no brainer for me. The DRZ has been around for so long and has so many aftermarket parts because of it’s longevity. Also lots of information for working on your own bike. I suspect the drz is more documented and easier to modify than a KTM. This certainly influenced my decision. I have fuel injected and fitted hot cams, exhaust and am making about 45 hp (dynoed). I enjoy working on my own bike.

Yeah I’ve been looking around on the Duke 390 forums just wanted to see if tt had anything to say. I’m 16, just recently I’ve been looking at street bikes I’m not sure if I want one though. I’m afraid with speed limits it might be like riding behind side by sides on flat trails. My cousin might get one too that’s why I’m looking, it would be fun to go around with him and some other family members who have motorcycles.

And I don’t think I’d really modify it at all except for little things or whatever, I don’t want to work on it too much already busy enough with my dirt bike.

Yeah I’ve been looking around on the Duke 390 forums just wanted to see if tt had anything to say. I’m 16, just recently I’ve been looking at street bikes I’m not sure if I want one though. I’m afraid with speed limits it might be like riding behind side by sides on flat trails. My cousin might get one too that’s why I’m looking, it would be fun to go around with him and some other family members who have motorcycles.

And I don’t think I’d really modify it at all except for little things or whatever, I don’t want to work on it too much already busy enough with my dirt bike.

So the best thing with the drz400sm is the interchangeable of wheel sets with the 21/18 inch combo. It goes from being a capable fun road bike on the 17’s into a great adventure bike on the 21/18 inch combo. It takes about 20 mins to swap over. I too have a dedicated dirt machine in the form of a klx450r but I’m finding more and more I reach for the DRZ. The bike is a complete hoot on the road. I ride with friends mainly and some of them have powerful sports bikes. I’m sure I have more fun riding my slow bike fast than they do riding their fast bike slow. I also ride with a couple of friends who have big adventure bikes (ktm and BMW) both shy away from the more technical stuff due to the weight of there machines. The DRZ really shines in the tight technical stuff, admittedly not as good as the klx at some stuff BUT you can ride there and home after, not bothering with trailers or utes. It makes the decision to go for a ride really easy.
  • Like 1

I feel like a duke or similar naked bike would be more fun on the road than a drz especially since I’ve ridden dirt bikes for years and if I get a street bike I want a different feeling bike. And I wouldn’t ride off-road at all because I have a 250xc for that and I wouldn’t like anything heavier and slower.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jay bird1138 said:

I feel like a duke or similar naked bike would be more fun on the road than a drz especially since I’ve ridden dirt bikes for years and if I get a street bike I want a different feeling bike. And I wouldn’t ride off-road at all because I have a 250xc for that and I wouldn’t like anything heavier and slower.

I'm a long time dirt rider 25 or so years.  What I have found with the SM is I can dirt bike it in most situations without too much thought.  This usually takes the form of on up on the pegs, over the front wheel and being able to deal with situations instinctively.  When I tried a more sporty bike I was surprised at the lack of my ability to do this. I feel a whole lot safer on my "dirt" inspired road bike under duress than with a road bike.  That's My 2cents and another reason for me to buy a DRZ400SM.  You might find you ride more off road on the bloated DRZ because you can - without the need for a trailer - transport or truck you just jump on and go.  I have been surprised by this as I too am a hardcore dirt rider.  I still ride enduros, hound 'n' hare and organised trail rides on the green endure machine but love the fact I can just jump on the DRZ and be off without too much thought.  So nice to eat ones lunch at the end of a trail.   Is there a KTM forum for the 390?

• Like 1