Sign in to follow this  

Riding the railroads

So I live in Maine and I'm pretty new to dirt biking, I've only been riding a couple months. There's no real trails around my house, except my house is connected to an abandoned rail road which hasn't been used in years. If I were to follow the tracks they would lead me in to my very small town where it is 100% legal to ride registered atv's on the road. There are no signs or anything that say "NO TRESPASSING" or "PRIVATE PROPERTY" or anything like that. There's actually no signs at all along that trail. I've only been down it once but I was really unsure and worried it was a bad idea. There's a fairly sharp bank along the sides of the track bed and when it does actually flatten out on the sides, there is usually some debris or fallen trees making it more inconvenient. All that said, the main question is if it is even legal to ride on theses abandoned and unmarked tracks?

Edited by IcemanAdam

In my world, active rail lines are a no no.  Abandoned rail grades, and anything not posted or fenced is fair game.  

hahaha, works for me. I know its illegal if they are active, but there's really no clear guidelines for inactive rails that I've seen

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it. All the old RR beds where I live have been transformed into walking/bicycle trails with no motorized vehicles allowed, so enjoy it while you can

• Like 2

Ahh, memories of the good old days. Back in the '70's in northeast Pa., I'd hop on the freight train tracks from my backyard on my trials bike, ride a couple miles, and get to the best riding areas around. No one ever ran me off. Heck, the train engineers would wave to me. Like everything else though, times have changed. My opinion is if you keep a low profile and not act like an idiot, you should be o.k.