Hey guys. I'm new here. I recently bought an 01 yz426f. I'm loving the bike so far. I'm having some tranny problems that I believe are the usual worn shift dog issue. I haven't gotten into the tranny yet to verify. It seems to slip and jump in 4th gear. Then during my first ride after an oil change it seemed 1st gear was doing the same. It started about an hour into the ride. There is a 450 engine nearby for 300 bucks I was thinking about picking up so I can redo that tranny then swap top ends to minimize down time. Is this swap possible? Will it be more monkeying around than it is worth? Thanks for any input. 

it depends what you're willing to do with it and what year the 450 motor is. It is not a direct bolt up but it can be done as I am in the process of doing so now and I assure you it is quite a challenge. Im using a yfz450 (quad) cylinder and head on a YZ400 bottom end and my problem is the 400 cam chain does not fit the 450 cams quite right but the 450 cam chain will not fit the 400 crank at all. so I am now looking into matching up a right side 400 crank with a left side 450 crank so I can use the 450 cam chain as the head is also 1/4" shorter.

Sounds like a challenge. I was looking for a way to avoid the downtime of a transmission job as 1st and 5th are slipping on my 426. Unfortunately I took a spill and separated my shoulder. Since riding is out I guess tearing down the tranny is in. 

The 450 trans (any year) will not directly fit into a 426.  Swaps have been done to the early 4 speed 450's to use a 426 five speed, and they required a lot of custom fitting and machine work.