Engine Light Flickering...

Hello all,

New to the forum but not to motorcycles.  I purchased a new 2015 CRF250L last October (got a great deal on it vs. a 2016 at the time) and love it.  Takes me back to being 17 years old with my first bike, a KLR250.  

That said, I'm experiencing what seems to be a "unique" issue.  The engine light flickers sporadically while riding.  It may only happen once every three or 4 rides and usually stops at some point while riding.  Seems to happen at lower gears while revving more than at higher gears while cruising and the flickers seem to align with the rev cycle.  At one point, I could make it flicker without revving by wiggling the wire harness next to the front forks but now that doesnt seem to happen.  It's pretty darn random!

I have taken it to the dealer and they were unable to replicate the issue.  They did say that there were no codes being thrown so that, whatever it is, it isn't a "legitimate" engine problem.  I'm inclined to believe them because the bike has never shown any kinds of issues.

After riding it today and experiencing the flicker, I'm thinking that water may be a contributing factor.  The last time I noticed it happen, I was stuck in a rain storm and it happened today after washing it.  It seemed to stop after riding for 10 minutes and the bike dried off for a bit.

I'm guessing that there is some kind of short somewhere but I've messed/wiggled with all of he visually obvious connections and nothing.  Dealer also said that they didn't see anything obvious with wiring.

Anyone else heard of or experienced this issue?  Any thoughts as to what could be causing it and where to start looking?

Many thanks in advance for any/all help on the above... 

Edited by ZeroCool84
me speel bad

As always, with electronics, 99% of problems I have encountered, with bikes, cars, heavy equipment, tractors (as in tractor trailers) is caused by a bad ground. Look there first. Or a bad connection to one of the sensors.

• Like 1

The engine malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) is for programmed fuel injection problems.

From the Service Manual ...

• A faulty PGM-FI system is often related to poorly connected or corroded connectors. Check those connections before
proceeding

If the MIL was on, but then went out,
the original problem may be intermittent.

If you do not have a service manual, get one.

Thanks for the replies so far.  So, the only thing that would trigger the check engine light is a fuel injection issue?  

I'm thinking that there isn't a legit issue going on because the dealer said that no codes were stored...

Guess I need to go through and really check all of the connections and wiring...

51 minutes ago, ZeroCool84 said:

Thanks for the replies so far.  So, the only thing that would trigger the check engine light is a fuel injection issue?

The ECU gets readings from all the sensors on the bike, and uses this info to set injector pulse width and spark advance. In essence telling the engine how to perform. Not a FI issue per se - like not between the fuel pump and fuel injector, but is a system, and failure of any one part will turn on the MIL. Could be TPS, IAC, ... on and on. The service manual gives detailed steps to perform to check each sensor on the bike. Pretty easy, as most are just voltage readings. You do need a DMM tho'. Like my Daddy said - KISS - keep it simple stupid. Check the easy things like wiring first, could be just a loose plug somewhere.

Edited by seedy
  • Like 1

Like seedy said it could just be a bad connection. I would unplug and reconnect the ecu and the speedo/display.

Try the speedo first to see if it fixes the problem. 

Maybe disconnect the battery first and be careful not to bend any pins in the connectors. 

Edited by Garth Knight
  • Like 1