Sign in to follow this  

Slave cylinder

Trying to back bleed the clutch and it's pushing fluid out around the piston in the slave cylinder, anyone have any tips and pointers on how to do this easily? The bike is a 2003 ktm 125sx

Sounds like you have bad o rings and need a slave cylinder rebuild kit. I don't think they are very expensive maybe $40. Someone else may have an idea but if you are back bleeding with the slave on and it's leaking, it needs a rebuild.

Sounds like you have bad o rings and need a slave cylinder rebuild kit. I don't think they are very expensive maybe $40. Someone else may have an idea but if you are back bleeding with the slave on and it's leaking, it needs a rebuild.

Thanks I appreciate it. Where's a good place to get a rebuild kit?

It helps to hold the lever away from the bars when bbing.

Like as in not pulling in the clutch lever?

Yes

Absolutely do not pull in the clutch lever!  What you are trying to do when you back bleed a hydralic system, brakes or clutch is push any air trapped in the system out of the top, or highest point in the system.  It supposedly works better this way.

Edited by GlennRay

Absolutely do not pull in the clutch lever!  What you are trying to do when you back bleed a hydralic system, brakes or clutch is push any air trapped in the system out of the top, or highest point in the system.  It supposedly works better this way.
[/quot alright thanks. When I was pushing the fluid through from the bottom it pushed the piston out and the fluid started coming out around the piston and wouldn't push anything back up through the top

15 hours ago, markit said:

Yes

Also after bleeding the clutch/breaks take a zip tie and pull lever in to about 10mm from grip and leave overnight.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GlennRay said:

Where not talking about pulling the lever in actually the opposite, the technique i'm explaining opens up the port in the m/c, I've been using the technique for 17 years.  

Save your money take it apart , find a local hydraulic shop they can match the size it is not a standard size from your hardware store or go to the KTM Forum maybe somebody else's had the same problem and can tell you the size I ride a Husaberg it has a Magura hydraulic system. I found my size on the husaberg forum, went online and got 10 for 10$ . Also the oil is mineral oil you can get from any pharmacy for a fraction of the cost. I saved over $200 for a little $1 part and put the money into other upgrades

• Like 1

I missed I was talking about the o-ring in the slave cylinder.