Lighting ? Xr400

Will an eBay led headlight for my xr work without any mods? Will it be brighter that the stock headlight? I am looking for brighter lights up front but don't wanna pull the stator and all that garbage. Any comments and help appreciated! My xr is plated and I do ride on the street at night. However it is a 2004 with no blinkers or anything to make it street legal. It was just slid through the dmv. Thanks!

Your stock headlight is 35 watts. What is the LED you're looking at?

Are you wanting to replace the whole headlight assembly or drop an LED bulb into the stock housing?

Are you wanting to replace the whole headlight assembly or drop an LED bulb into the stock housing?

Don't mean to hijack my man's thread, but im in the same situation. What would you suggest for replacing the whole assembly?. Or either one, so the OP's questions get answered also thx.

10 hours ago, Trailryder42 said:

I want the brightest headlight i can get without messing with the stator. I am also cheap so here is the eBay unit i am eyeing... http://www.ebay.com/itm/1x-4x6-LED-Headlight-Lamp-Light-For-Honda-XR250-XR400-XR650-Suzuki-DRZ-NEW-/302335460324?epid=2069277718&hash=item46649903e4:g:L58AAOSwYvFZL7gS&vxp=mtr

I would say that there would be no mod needed as long as the led voltage is right (12v dc) the head light dose not require resistance like indicators (resistance is needed for the flasher relay to recognise the indicator is switched on) if you go with led try to get a cree led as they have a much brighter white light.

here in aus you can buy led globes from the electronics shop here called jay car that have the incandesant baonet  so they can be pluged strait in no mod needed I would definetly take your original globe as a reference and see whats on offer good luck with it all let us all know how you got on cheers

ohh the other thing is leds are not measured in wats  rather lumens  from my findings 40w = 450lm  100w=1600lm  light output not power consumed hope this helps

ps sorry for the spelling

The stock stator will run up to about a 55w headlight. The stator output is about 80w total. The thing is, it's AC voltage. LEDs take DC. I don't know how well that unit would run on AC.

Check your state laws. Some don't require blinkers, but if they're on the bike, they have to work. Also check to see if it has a regulation about how long the headlight must remain lit when the engine is shut down. And if regs also require a horn. You'd need to convert to a DC system with a battery or capacitor on board to meet those requirements. So, you aren't having to mess with the stator, but you will have to mod the voltage regulator to a regulator/rectifier to change voltage to DC and wire in a battery or capacitor.

If you don't want to convert to a DC system, and try to continue skating the bike thru inspection without the required equipment and function, and just want a brighter headlight, you might skip the LED idea and just drop in a 55w incandescent or 55w-60w Halogen into the stock housing.

Edited by Trailryder42

I was thinking the same thing @Trailryder42. The entire electrical is setup for 12V AC which will run the incandescent just fine but the LED or CREE will need to switch everything over to DC. 

So - if someone, say @ThumperCurtis ;-), had just switched his entire XR400R over to DC, would the 4x6 LED light shown work in the standard housing or would there have to be modifications to the plastic mounts for this to work?

1 hour ago, ThumperCurtis said:

@Trailryder42

So - if someone, say @ThumperCurtis ;-), had just switched his entire XR400R over to DC, would the 4x6 LED light shown work in the standard housing or would there have to be modifications to the plastic mounts for this to work?

I don't know. The description given in that ebay sale doesn't give any hints. Just says it fits certain models. So who knows if it's a direct drop in or not. And I don't see any provision on it for how it's supposed to be retained inside the headlight shell.

Edited by Trailryder42

do you have one of these fitted to your bike??

the black cylinder on the side is a condenser to store dc power with no battery tap in to it for dc? the xr runs ac and dc at the same time I have changed my indicators and dash lights to led the only mod needed was a diferent flasher relay to sute led thogh you can get in line load components to use original flasher.

rec reg 001.JPG

Edited by vicxr400
forgot info

@vicxr400 What bike is that off of?? That AC regulator looks completely different than mine off my XR400R - mine has fins for cooling and no condensor. You may have a different model or an earlier or later period bike. 

Trailrider42 you are right  here in aus  the xr400 was braught out road regable from factory being an endure bike the part no on that part is   31600-KA2-752   if it helps  I had to replace this one cas its toast cost me 200 buks for the new one at local Honda shop some ones makin money :)

America seems to have some crazy laws  for road legal dirt bikes   here the lights only need to be fitted, working, and no chips or cracks in the lenses if you have that road legal

the only thing I know of that has to be DOT approved is if you want road legal knobby tyres  all mx tyres have not for highway use molded in the side wall get dun by a cop with a not for highway use tyre on and cop a fine and made to chainge them.    as for the lights I went with led for the indicators as they are much brighter  id rather be seen than squished!

Thanks for the education guys. Always appreciate learning more. :thumbsup:

So essentially when I went with my DC conversion I was basically doing something similar to the AUS version of the XR400R. Cool.

• Like 1