Xt200 won't start/run properly

I just bought a 1983 Yamaha xt200. It sat for a year so I did the usual carb clean(twice) and gas tank flush. The carb wasn't all that bad actually. It now won't start. Me and my friend had it start on us once and it idled ok but wouldn't rev. I'm guessing timing but maybe it's something else. The bike has compression. Lots. Maybe a little too much IMO but I haven't tested it yet to get numbers. Do how do I check to see if it is in time? There is a mark on the cam shaft but I have no clue what to reference it to? Thanks in advanced.

Do you know if it was running before being put away?  if it was, then probably only carb issue, so dont go fiddling with other stuff till its going.

Start with simple things first, could just be plain old stubborn.

Do you know if it was running before being put away?  if it was, then probably only carb issue, so dont go fiddling with other stuff till its going.
  Start with simple things first, could just be plain old stubborn.

I cleaned out the carb twice. It actually doesn't look that bad. But either way it's clean. One thing I noticed is that it smoked when it ran and my friend got it to rev once and it smoked a lot(white smoke). Also when I try to start it, minus the kick starter shooting back and hitting my leg (like my old 500 lol) it also backfires out the carb and a lot of white smoke comes out the air box.

Ok. It's in time. Has spark. I just checked and the valve clearance is to spec. What else can it be? I ordered a carb for a Yamaha blaster cause I've heard they are similar(and only 20 bucks) so maybe that's it. But I cleaned out the old one pretty good twice