Help with supermoto?

What all do I need in order to convert a drz 400 s into a drz 400sm or supermoto or whatever you want to call it. I know I would need wheels and tires but I really don't know a good brand of wheel, what kind of wheel or what size, where to get wheels, what kind of tires. Would I need wheel bearings and brake disk or would it come with the wheels? Should I get different sprockets?

You will need a set of 17" supermoto wheels,you can either go aftermarket or try and get genuine Suzuki SM wheels if you prefer,what brand to get depends on how much you have to spend,some of the cheaper sets are built with junk spokes and you should factor in replacing them if you can't afford quality wheels,most wheels sets will come with bearings and spacers already unless you are buying second hand,if so then check the seller has these.yes you will need sprockets to suit what top speed/cruising speed you want,check in with DRZ supermoto owners to see what they run,you will need an oversize 320 front disc for better braking,rear disc is ok to leave as stock,there are supermoto tyres you can get and also tyres such as michelin pilot powers etc that will fit and last but are designed for bikes that are heavier so will take a lot longer to get heat in them,how you ride and what's more important...grip or longeviety will dictate what you get,I personally run the pilot power 2ct and they grip well and are lasting for how I ride but if I start pushing them on track days or prolonged fast riding then I don't quite trust their grip.If you have any money left after that then some suspension work is reccomended to suit supermoto

• Like 1

Suspension, no matter dirt or street the DRZ needs a little help in this department.  Long read but the knowledge gained will help .

Sprockets: 15/41 is stock, stock DRZ is happy with 15/39.  16/39 is a bit tall in stock form but others like it.

Rims, stock SM and possibly KTM.  Also ask PTgarcia which year RM hubs (125/250) for relacing.  If you have access to machinery, the Hooligan Mod is an economy alternative with a bit of sweat equity.

Tires, depends on your riding and wallet.  Track day / canyon carving needs very sticky fast wearing tires.  Commuting, consider for wet weather and longevity.  Match tire size to rim width, bigger ain't better if the tire profile is pinched by a narrow rim.  Have worn out BT003RS, Avon Storm Ultra and wearing Mich PR4's.  003RS are very sticky, fast warm up / wear and slimey in wet riding.  Avon's never got warm, Storm is false advertising.  PR4's have been the best so far.

• Like 2

Super Moto bikes are at least 100lbs lighter than the design weight of sport bike tires.  You'd think tires would wear a little

longer, not the way we ride.