Looking for info on Moab Utah... Planning a trip...

I'm looking in to a trip to Moab, Utah in mid October.  I'm trying to get a couple buddies to go too, but if they can't swing it, I''ll be going by myself.  I'm looking for recommendations on where to stay, places to ride, possibly tours (though I'd like to do some exploring on my own too, or with locals?). What can I expect as far as weather? Are there permits involved? Places to avoid or must see?

I'm a solid intermediate rider, in good riding shape and maintain my bike well.

Any and all input is welcome..... thanks.

October is the best time, usually nothing but sun and good temps.  You will need a permit.  And don't ride alone there, too much crap can happen.

• Like 2

Agreed, October and April have the best riding temps.  I would recommend staying at Archview campground so you can ride directly from camp two or three days.  Get the "Moab Classics" map, made by Latitude 40.  I'm an Intermediate rider, and these are the trails I'd hit if I had about 5 days to ride:

1.  Trailer to Slick rock, Hells Revenge, lunch at Milts,  Porcupine rim, Fins n Things

2.  Sovereign Trail, Salt Wash, then over the Seven Mile rim

3.  Gemini bridges, Golden Spike, Gold Bar rim, Poison spider mesa

4. If you have 100+ mile range, Ride pieces of Enduro loop, Deal cow loop, sand dunes OHV area, Hey Joe, Mary's trail

5. Trailer, then South on Steel bender, take rt 195 south, then Kane Creeik to go back North.

I can't wait to make it back out there.

COOL! this is what I'm looking for. Thanks for the info....

COOL! this is what I'm looking for. Thanks for the info....

Never ridden moab on a dirtbike. Many times on a mountain bike. Start a post maybe in September and see if other TT members can join. I've met great people off this forum. If I'm able, I'd be interested in joining.

Fyi utah tags are a must. Easy to buy online.

Someone didn't play nice between CO and UT at some point. If you look at the states that are reciprocal, they are all west/north of Utah. None of the east states. 

Co tags are no good in WY either. 

Been there lots on dirt bikes, mtbs and 4x4. Take a look at the first thread in this forum...it is all about Moab/Utah.

99klr250 has given you a good hit list. If you desire, I'd be happy to help you design a trip...along with lotsa cool sights for rest days. I too think October can be really good....anytime in the fall is good though.  PM me if you have specific questions or want to talk.

I consider Kane Creek a must when we go I think it is one of the few trails that has both water and shade,which is different from all of the others in the area It is one of my favorites next to Sovereign. Something to consider when going out there is sight seeing there are good moto trails and then there are trails that are just good for the sights,take some time for the site seeing it is well worth the time !!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Huskydog14 said:

I consider Kane Creek a must when we go I think it is one of the few trails that has both water and shade,which is different from all of the others in the area It is one of my favorites next to Sovereign. Something to consider when going out there is sight seeing there are good moto trails and then there are trails that are just good for the sights,take some time for the site seeing it is well worth the time !!

For just plain sight seeing one of the best roads/trails is White Rim.  VERY long, but lots of cool arches and rock formations.  You can camp halfway.  I've done it in a Jeep but never on a bike.

• Like 2

Behind the rocks trail, it's south of town about 5 miles. My son got me to go for a weekend back in March. Weather was good, typical spring winds. There was basic to intermediate level of riding. Thinking of going again in October.

This is good stuff! thanks.  I'm compiling a list of trails, and yes I want to do some sightseeing too.  Utah is high on my list of retirement destinations.  The wife and I have been going for a few years for hiking excursions and we really like the vibe we get there...

Sightseeing...a must is a drive up on Island in the Sky and check out the various overlooks and Mesa Arch. Go to Deadhorse Point (its a State park, so an entrance fee) and ooohh and aaahh.  If you've already been out on White Rim or out Potash, you can see where you were, and thats the order I'd suggest doing things as a first timer.

So one of my suggestions would be, if you don't want to ride the 90 miles around WR...ride out Potash, cruise out a little further if desired such as to Musselman Arch, then go back and fathom the craziness of how the flip they used to drive stock up and down Shafer....cuz you'll swear there is no way you'll even get up it. Then go up!  However, if its rained a decent amount, or is raining, don't even think about it!!!  The clay that will turn your tires into slicks...and its just a tad steep and exposed.

A super scenic, easy ride = Hey Joe Canyon. Below is my short vid of it. My channel also has one of Sovereign, Slickrock and numerous other vids. Use it to help you plan!  Subscribe to get updates if desired. I've got a mtb one of all of Porc Rim in the works....you can ride moto on the first part of that to yet another super scenic spot.

Wanna do something harder?  Hit Poison Spider/Golden Spike/Gold Bar Rim. Vid of that forthcoming too at some point....oh and yep, there are some killer views off it too!

Edited by dmac1