08 wr450f horn and turn signal issues

hi,

i've just bought this bike and from doing the simple stuff, cant work out why the blinkers/indicators/turn signals dont work properly, and why i havent got continuity to the horn.

1. when idling, the blinkers work sort of normal. they flash, but the speed varies from normal ,to slow, to very fast(like when theres a blown globe in a car). sometimes the dash light lights up(solid), sometimes it doesnt.

once moving though, the blinkers often flash once, then stay lit up at about 50-75% brightness, until i cancel them. the dash light doesnt come on when riding.

revs dont seem to make a difference, beyond idling vs any other rev-range.

2. and the horn has a little piece of wiring at the horn end, with a glued/heatshrunk 'thing' in the middle. red and yellow wires. red goes to the switch and the yellow goes to power/earth(unsure if horns are neg/pos trigger) i have no continuity through this 'thing' on either wire. its not a fuse, doesnt look like a relay, either.

when i hook the horn directly to the battery, i get a bit of sound, so the horn works- a bit at least. when i test the horn connection to the place where i disconnected the weird 'thing' theres continuity, too.

thanks for any help on these issues.

Simon.

I'm in Australia. The bike is sold roadworthy here. Just as though it was a normal road bike. I put down Australia in my profile when I signed up. I didn't realise this forum didn't display that info along with my username, so didn't think to add it, sorry.

Edited by simonr23

Indicator issue sounds like the flasher can is getting inconsistent power. Check battery health and for shorts in the indicator wiring. Might need a new can.

The horn should be simple wiring. Simple positive and negative going back to the button.

Thanks for the reply.

i fixed the blinkers yesterday. Bought a new flasher and 4 new bulbs. Cleaned the bulb holders, pulled apart and cleaned the combo switch, cleaned all contacts along the wiring. Not sure which single thing fixed it. 

The horn is trickier though. I think I've borrowed it down to the 'horn amplifier' no idea why it has one, but, it's the only part of the horn circuit that appears bad. Have one ordered and will fit it once here.

i don't know why the bike can't just be wired up to run straight DC from the battery, or have everything run from the rectifier/regulator.

i dont know what people do who use this bike for nighttime enduro events and want higher powered lights.