Sign in to follow this  

Power valve adjuster Help

Hi I have a Ktm 125 exc 2006 the bolt inside the power valve adjuster was loose and rattling around so I tightened it up not knowing what it was but it was still rattling around so I tried again and the head of the bolt snapped off, I currently have no power top end it just whines, I don't know whether trying to weld the bolt back on or just buying a whole new power valve adjuster, Any Help would be appreciated.

Do you mean the 8mm bolt which is inside the two sided threaded adjuster in the clutch cover? (the one under the big alloy cover nut) Bob.

Do you mean the 8mm bolt which is inside the two sided threaded adjuster in the clutch cover? (the one under the big alloy cover nut) Bob.

Yeah I've taken it out now gonna order a new one

If it is that bolt there is a torque setting for it. You need to put the bike in gear and hold down the rear brake to achieve this or you will never tighten it.

If it is that bolt there is a torque setting for it. You need to put the bike in gear and hold down the rear brake to achieve this or you will never tighten it.

Alright, that 8mm bolt in the center had come loose will it have affected any part of the power valve or when I put the new power governer in everything will be fine?

Sorry, I don't know what you mean when you refer to the 'new power governer'. Do you mean you have a new centrifugal timer?

Sorry, I don't know what you mean when you refer to the 'new power governer'. Do you mean you have a new centrifugal timer?

IMG_1017.PNG The 8mm bolt that goes into that was rattling round when I tried to tighten it up the head of the bolt snapped off, since it was lose will anything need adjusting before I put the new one in.

Hi, as long as you haven't had the clutch cover off - the gear end of the timer runs in a bearing in the crankcase while the other end towards the clutch cover runs in a bearing held in by a circlip. This bearing is bad for wearing out and becoming sloppy. Between the bearing and the end of the timer are a plain washer and 2 saucer shaped washers. They can't go anywhere with the timer mounted on its gear and the other end in the clutch case adjuster. You need a washer 52 x 12 x 3 and an M5 x 12 bolt to mount together to lock it in place. It is a strange bolt to come loose - is the washer still there? Take it someone has been mucking about with the pv. Bob.

Hi, as long as you haven't had the clutch cover off - the gear end of the timer runs in a bearing in the crankcase while the other end towards the clutch cover runs in a bearing held in by a circlip. This bearing is bad for wearing out and becoming sloppy. Between the bearing and the end of the timer are a plain washer and 2 saucer shaped washers. They can't go anywhere with the timer mounted on its gear and the other end in the clutch case adjuster. You need a washer 52 x 12 x 3 and an M5 x 12 bolt to mount together to lock it in place. It is a strange bolt to come loose - is the washer still there? Take it someone has been mucking about with the pv. Bob.

Already taken the clutch cover off and yeah I think someone messed Around with it when I left it out overnight I've still got the washer, but the bolt is snapped inside it so I can't tighten it up so I've had to order a new one

Ah right. While you have the timer out, check the clutch cover end to make sure the 4 ball bearings are in their respective ramps. They can 'jump' ramps, stopping the control lever sliding up the timer shaft fully. I presume you have the plain washer and the 2 saucer ones - you have to mount them in the correct order. Worth checking the bearing and the o ring in the clutch cover. Very cheap if you need to replace. Also, can you remember if the lock bolt at 4 o'clock locked up the 2 sided adjuster? Basically the lock bolt squeezes rubber o ring string into the threads of the adjuster, locking it. Obviously the lock bolt cannot contact the adjuster or it would ruin the threads. KTM sell the o ring string but you could use any pieces of o ring cut up I would imagine. It takes around 23mm of the rubber to achieve a good lock. It is really simple to poke the old stuff out and renew when you have the timer and the 2 sided adjuster bolt out. There is no way that the correct length 8mm centre bolt, when used with the correct thickness of washer, cannot lock up the timer to the adjuster. Your control lever should not be worn at the end where it runs up the timer shaft (they can wear a semi circle in the end, making for sloppy adjustment. It's up to you how far you want to go. Bob.

Ah right. While you have the timer out, check the clutch cover end to make sure the 4 ball bearings are in their respective ramps. They can 'jump' ramps, stopping the control lever sliding up the timer shaft fully. I presume you have the plain washer and the 2 saucer ones - you have to mount them in the correct order. Worth checking the bearing and the o ring in the clutch cover. Very cheap if you need to replace. Also, can you remember if the lock bolt at 4 o'clock locked up the 2 sided adjuster? Basically the lock bolt squeezes rubber o ring string into the threads of the adjuster, locking it. Obviously the lock bolt cannot contact the adjuster or it would ruin the threads. KTM sell the o ring string but you could use any pieces of o ring cut up I would imagine. It takes around 23mm of the rubber to achieve a good lock. It is really simple to poke the old stuff out and renew when you have the timer and the 2 sided adjuster bolt out. There is no way that the correct length 8mm centre bolt, when used with the correct thickness of washer, cannot lock up the timer to the adjuster. Your control lever should not be worn at the end where it runs up the timer shaft (they can wear a semi circle in the end, making for sloppy adjustment. It's up to you how far you want to go. Bob.

Yeah I have all the washers the bolt at 4'o clock seemed to lock it fine but I'll check it anyway, Cheers for the help Much appreciated
  • Like 1