Michigan singletrack

I have to make a trip to Indiana and considered taking my bike since this might be my best opportunity to hit some of the famous Michigan trails. I wondered where I could find challenging, tight singletrack and if I'd find anything further south than north in Michigan? Thank you in advance for any help.

I'm surprised no one has jumped on this.  Michigan trails are great because there are so many of them. 3,000 - 4,000 miles worth.  We don't have mountains or epic terrain here.  But if you want to ride for days on end, then you're in the right place.  There is zero riding in the southern half of the lower peninsula.  All the riding is in the upper half of the Lower Peninsula and the Upper Peninsula.  

There is an organizatio in Michigan called the MCCCT that builds and maintains interconnecting trails all over Michigan.  You'll see DNR sanctioned trails below in the links I proved, but almost all of them are interconnected by MCCCT trails.

We have a lot of sand and a lot of ORV trails in Michigan.  They can be fun but the motorcycle only single track is the most fun in my opinion.  I haven't ridden them yet but I always hear good things about Evart and Tomahawk.  But again the best thing about Michigan is the length of the trail.  So don't limit yourself to a particular trail.  Find a connector and ride it down to another trail system.  Riding in Michigan is like being out into a room with 100 gallons of Ice Cream.  As much as you love it you'll never come close to eating it all.  You'll eat so much you're sick, swear you'll never eat ice cream again, and be back eating it the next day.

Here are some resources to help you plan your trip.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10365_15070-38330--,00.html

https://www.vvmapping.com/trails/trailInfoMI.html

http://www.cycleconservationclub.org/index.html

If your timing works out, come ride the 6 days of Michigan Juky 22  - 29.  I've not done it yet but we have people come from all over the country to ride it.

http://www.cycleconservationclub.org/PDF/Events/2017_SDM_Ride_Info.jpg

Doc

Edited by Doc_d

There are several in the Muskegon area. Cedar Creek isn't too tight but has plenty of hilly turns and berms. Holton Loop is wooped and real tight. Connected to some nicely groomed fast snowmobile trails too. Horseshoe Lake is another tight single track. All three within 10-15 miles of each other. If you go another 30 to 45 minutes out you can ride M20 motorsports trail which is one of my favorites. White Cloud loop is not too far but I am not too familiar with that one.

Thank you very much for the replies. That gives me some general websites and specific trail names to work with. I hope that I can make this trip work. If anyone has any more specific trail recommendations for tighter trails further south in Michigan, that's what I get excited about! Thanks again.

I was thinking the Little O Trail when I wrote M20 motorsports as a favorite. Both are near Muskegon area too. Wherever you go though you are bound to have fun. MI dnr website has a mile long list of trails to check out.

Doc_d provided some really good information.  Here's my 2 cents:

MCCCT is not an organization, it is an acronym for Michigan Cross Country Cycle Trail.  You can find in on maps for the MI DNR, VVMapping or the Avenza Mapping Site.  Personally, I use the Avenza Mapping software on my iPhone (works with any smartphone); all of the MI Dnr ORV maps are available in the map store and it works very well.  No need for a  Garmin or other GPS unit.

For single track there are a lot of choices, I like North Missaukee Trail.  I've also heard Evart can be challenging.  Both are close to other trials.  If you head over to the West Branch/Rose City area the trails are more open but there are many choices that connect up.  You could be in the area for a few days and not ride the same trail.