Two stroke vs four stroke technique!!!!

I just want to state that the techniques used on a four stroke is diffrent on a two stroke. Pls post techniques here that are specific with two strokes and or both four and two strokes. Also include what bike you ride and or race for the fun of it! Thanks and have fun while you learn! FB_IMG_1493031875507.jpg

• Like 1

Raced twostrokes for 20 years straight up to end of 13' . Was on yz250's for the last 7-7 years against 450s with alitte success in A class mx. Have 12' yz450 now but although haven't raced it yet have been on track. Tell ya it does everything easier and it's faster plain and simple. For racing its what I would choose now but just trail riding or bombing around 250 twostrokes all day :thumbsup: I had to do everything rite to not get pulled by 450s.  Would get good starts if short and flat but any deep loan or uphill start I'd get pulled.  Not so much in the B class tho did very well against them then. But you can win on either or

• Like 1

Raced twostrokes for 20 years straight up to end of 13' . Was on yz250's for the last 7-7 years against 450s with alitte success in A class mx. Have 12' yz450 now but although haven't raced it yet have been on track. Tell ya it does everything easier and it's faster plain and simple. For racing its what I would choose now but just trail riding or bombing around 250 twostrokes all day  I had to do everything rite to not get pulled by 450s.  Would get good starts if short and flat but any deep loan or uphill start I'd get pulled.  Not so much in the B class tho did very well against them then. But you can win on either or
@Motox367 I totally agree with two strokes being fun bikes to put around on and trail ride but i also have a question. Did you ever think about boring out your yz 250 to a bigger size to compete more with the 450s? And or know anyone who has? And also keep me updated on the diffrence you feel in the diffrent riding style on a mx track when you take out your 450. Im actually a yamaha guy my self. Just bought a 2017 yz125 and yz250 which we converted to a yz250x. Im thinking bout boring out my 125 to 144cc to compete against the 250 fs.

20 minutes ago, bendo401 said:

@Motox367 I totally agree with two strokes being fun bikes to put around on and trail ride but i also have a question. Did you ever think about boring out your yz 250 to a bigger size to compete more with the 450s? And or know anyone who has? And also keep me updated on the diffrence you feel in the diffrent riding style on a mx track when you take out your 450. Im actually a yamaha guy my self. Just bought a 2017 yz125 and yz250 which we converted to a yz250x. Im thinking bout boring out my 125 to 144cc to compete against the 250 fs.

I did think about that but didn't wanna sacrifice top end rev that's were I rode. Just hard to beat the long pull,torque and traction of a 450. Is the ultimate racing engine in my eyes now lol vetrace coming up in couple weeks thinking about making comeback.  Plan on coming back next year I'll be 40. Hopefully make some $$$$ but competition is fierce here so we'll see. You got two great bikes there :thumbsup: don't let anything i say deture you. Can win on both them I have:ride: I once ride my 05 none stock yz125. Had vforce is all. Im 6' 225 was 210 then lol.  Won +25and +30 classes that day every moto. Started last every time against 450s. Track was pretty flat with alot of jumps and corners.  That's were I'd get them. It can be done. Guys wear like WTF lol

I did think about that but didn't wanna sacrifice top end rev that's were I rode. Just hard to beat the long pull,torque and traction of a 450. Is the ultimate racing engine in my eyes now lol vetrace coming up in couple weeks thinking about making comeback.  Plan on coming back next year I'll be 40. Hopefully make some $$$$ but competition is fierce here so we'll see. You got two great bikes there :thumbsup: don't let anything i say deture you. Can win on both them I have:ride: I once ride my 05 none stock yz125. Had vforce is all. Im 6' 225 was 210 then lol.  Won +25and +30 classes that day every moto. Started last every time against 450s. Track was pretty flat with alot of jumps and corners.  That's were I'd get them. It can be done. Guys wear like WTF lol

Thats funny . Im not the best rider vuz i just started mx and im hsving a problem picking up my speed especially before jumps. I can go through ruts really smoothly but i am not used to gearing yet amd havent really figured out HOW to turn when your om the pipe third gear well. I usally shift down and keep revs up to stay on pipe and im getting better but i need practice. Im so dedicated iv actually lost over 50lbs to race and i hope i get to A class at least. Pro would be cool but id be happy A. I got start somewhere. Lol.

If you can make to the B class you're doing good :thumbsup: A class is very big jump so is novice to amature.  Take your time make them move you up. Enjoy the glory while you can. I've seen sooo many mx racers do good in novice class then get smoked in B class and quit racing.  You gotta want it and keep pushing forward put the time in. Just have fun the first years are the best and winning money back changes everything. You start really pushing it leads to injury.  Rememberthe faster you get the harder you crash

If you can make to the B class you're doing good  A class is very big jump so is novice to amature.  Take your time make them move you up. Enjoy the glory while you can. I've seen sooo many mx racers do good in novice class then get smoked in B class and quit racing.  You gotta want it and keep pushing forward put the time in. Just have fun the first years are the best and winning money back changes everything. You start really pushing it leads to injury.  Rememberthe faster you get the harder you crash

Thanks and i will remember that! I actually attended gary semics mx school here a couple weeks ago. I learned a LOT. Its really fun and i cant wait to race a lot.
  • Like 1

Just now, bendo401 said:

Thanks and i will remember that! I actually attended gary semics mx school here a couple weeks ago. I learned a LOT. Its really fun and i cant wait to race a lot.

Yes it is and very addicting.  I sacrificed alot to go racing when younger but was definitely worth it. Watch the faster guys even befreind one could help you a ton. Don't be afraid to get down in there on the start and mix it up. But also stay safe. Race to race again iz what I tell kids around here. Goodluck and keep me posted.  It's fun to help and watch kidz/adults progress in racing.  

Yes it is and very addicting.  I sacrificed alot to go racing when younger but was definitely worth it. Watch the faster guys even befreind one could help you a ton. Don't be afraid to get down in there on the start and mix it up. But also stay safe. Race to race again iz what I tell kids around here. Goodluck and keep me posted.  It's fun to help and watch kidz/adults progress in racing.  
@Motox367 I actually have a question about riding a 2 stroke. I had a little pw50 when i was young but until now this is my first 2 stroke. What type of things can i do diffrently in corners, starts, jumps and things like that to keep momentum and speed? We actually also just bought a 1979 pw 60 which i should say is the third 2 stroke ive had to be used as a pitbike for the ama vintage motorcycle days next weekend.20170702_073030.jpg20170702_073014.jpg
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, bendo401 said:

@Motox367 I actually have a question about riding a 2 stroke. I had a little pw50 when i was young but until now this is my first 2 stroke. What type of things can i do diffrently in corners, starts, jumps and things like that to keep momentum and speed? We actually also just bought a 1979 pw 60 which i should say is the third 2 stroke ive had to be used as a pitbike for the ama vintage motorcycle days next weekend.20170702_073030.jpg20170702_073014.jpg

Wow that is sweet.  You gotta look ahead,attack, get on the gas, learn to keep your momentum and use that clutch 

Edited by Motox367

[mention=495328]Motox367[/mention] I actually have a question about riding a 2 stroke. I had a little pw50 when i was young but until now this is my first 2 stroke. What type of things can i do diffrently in corners, starts, jumps and things like that to keep momentum and speed? We actually also just bought a 1979 pw 60 which i should say is the third 2 stroke ive had to be used as a pitbike for the ama vintage motorcycle days next weekend.20170702_073030.jpg.5fbd331fe64a94ca0dba6c0fec2d4ed6.jpg20170702_073014.jpg.33af927e16ef925ea7cd0f9df5b0544c.jpg

The biggest difference between 2 and 4 strokes is clutch and throttle technique.

On my cr250f, I can really get lazy on it.. railing corners isn't needed as well. I can go on the inside, blip the clutch, and most of the time make the double or table tops no problem.

My cr125 is a total different beast. Having to be WIDE open all the time, feathering the clutch, railing everything! You just have to ride it like this to get over everything!

As you probably know, both of my bikes will make about the same HP and torque. The 4 stroke will make it more instantly at lower throttle (not to mention a more linear throttle response).

2 strokes will make their max Hp and torque at very high RPM's! (My cr125 will make about 37-40 HP at about 11,000!). You have to keep it in that power if you wanna make everything lol.

Hope this helps.
  • Like 1

The biggest difference between 2 and 4 strokes is clutch and throttle technique.

On my cr250f, I can really get lazy on it.. railing corners isn't needed as well. I can go on the inside, blip the clutch, and most of the time make the double or table tops no problem.

My cr125 is a total different beast. Having to be WIDE open all the time, feathering the clutch, railing everything! You just have to ride it like this to get over everything!

As you probably know, both of my bikes will make about the same HP and torque. The 4 stroke will make it more instantly at lower throttle (not to mention a more linear throttle response).

2 strokes will make their max Hp and torque at very high RPM's! (My cr125 will make about 37-40 HP at about 11,000!). You have to keep it in that power if you wanna make everything lol.

Hope this helps.

Thanks i appreciate it. Using a 2 stroke is so diffrent since ive never had to open a throttle wide open before and bc of this i am likr scared to hold all open. I can get on the pipe pretty well but i dont think im holding open all the way and thats my problem. Thanks a lot for the tips i appreciate it.
  • Like 1

My dad kicked down his old bike to me when I was 18, I'm now 34 years old.  It's a 1989 Yamaha YZ250WR (very first year of the WR or the bike that is now the YZ250X).  Anyway, rode that Bike till 2013 when I bought a brand new Honda CRF450R.

I've raced both bikes in local GP races, hit the practice tracks, and did plenty of trail rides.  I'm for sure faster racing the 450 and on the practice tracks for moto.  I don't feel like I'm faster or slower on the two stroke vs. the four stroke, it's just that I'm faster or slower at different things.  I feel like I can hit tighter sections faster on the two stroke, but there's something to be said for the pure power of the four stroke on open straights and monster hills.  My throttle and clutch control on the two stroke is better too, but the my old two stroke is an offroad bike.  I've ridden regular YZ250's and although I get used to the hit, it's not as easy to ride and manage as a bike that's designed to be an offroad bike.

Since then I've sold the Honda.  A little too much money on the maintenance.  Seriously considering either the KTM or Husky 300cc for my next bike.

IMG_20170303_1336087.jpg.36af95bd40460965a825c9312662026b.jpgIMG_20140319_143013.jpg.52d3f375f4b0445ba873d9b28c562b51.jpg

• Like 2

My dad kicked down his old bike to me when I was 18, I'm now 34 years old.  It's a 1989 Yamaha YZ250WR (very first year of the WR or the bike that is now the YZ250X).  Anyway, rode that Bike till 2013 when I bought a brand new Honda CRF450R.
I've raced both bikes in local GP races, hit the practice tracks, and did plenty of trail rides.  I'm for sure faster racing the 450 and on the practice tracks for moto.  I don't feel like I'm faster or slower on the two stroke vs. the four stroke, it's just that I'm faster or slower at different things.  I feel like I can hit tighter sections faster on the two stroke, but there's something to be said for the pure power of the four stroke on open straights and monster hills.  My throttle and clutch control on the two stroke is better too, but the my old two stroke is an offroad bike.  I've ridden regular YZ250's and although I get used to the hit, it's not as easy to ride and manage as a bike that's designed to be an offroad bike.
Since then I've sold the Honda.  A little too much money on the maintenance.  Seriously considering either the KTM or Husky 300cc for my next bike.
IMG_20170303_1336087.jpg.36af95bd40460965a825c9312662026b.jpgIMG_20140319_143013.jpg.52d3f375f4b0445ba873d9b28c562b51.jpg

They lool great and sound awsome. I tried to go trail riding on my yz125 but my suspension was so stiff i couldnt handle it easily. I want to try and see what a 450 or 250 four stroke is like but sadly i dont know many with one lol.

30 minutes ago, Animatrix86 said:

Wow is that a recent pic of the 89? If so you've kept good care of it :thumbsup:

They lool great and sound awsome. I tried to go trail riding on my yz125 but my suspension was so stiff i couldnt handle it easily. I want to try and see what a 450 or 250 four stroke is like but sadly i dont know many with one lol.

Keep an eye out. Sometimes local dealers will do demo days in your area. I've participated in two Yamaha days and one KTM. Very cool being able to check out the different bikes. Most race bikes will have stiffer settings while offroad and enduro bikes have the suspension set up a little softer.

Keep an eye out. Sometimes local dealers will do demo days in your area. I've participated in two Yamaha days and one KTM. Very cool being able to check out the different bikes. Most race bikes will have stiffer settings while offroad and enduro bikes have the suspension set up a little softer.

Thanks i will make sure to look out.

Wow is that a recent pic of the 89? If so you've kept good care of it :thumbsup:

I finally had the time and money to fix it up this year. It was literally the only bike I had to get me through my 20's....so I wasn't exactly nice to it. It's had a few top ends in it's life and the bottom end finally went last year. Did a full rebuild on the motor, figured it was time for new plastics and graphics as well.