Cr125 cylinders 95 and 97 questions

Hey all, I have a 97 cr125 runs great.. I just bought a 95 cr125 with the top end out of it, someone has put a cast iron sleeve it it, and it is standard bore...

My questions

I've read on here a lot of people say sleeved cylinders are junk and your bike never runs right?.. well since I'm this far, and its a cast iron sleeve, should I just get a cheap bore job and see what happens?

If I do bore it out, is it okay to use the rings that are made for the plated cylinder?

Why does the 95 cylinder and the 97 cylinder have different part numbers? Plated with something different?

And I know they changed the front fork between the 95 and 97. Anyone know what sizes they are?

The manual I have is for 92-97 cr125r and the manual doesn't specify what size forks.. I think 43mm and 46?

And if the forks are different sizes do I put the same amount of fork oil in both bikes? (What my manual says). Lol that might be a dumb question but if one bike has bigger forks wouldn't it need more fluid? Maybe

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,

Lucas

Cylinders on 125 Honda CRs differ only slightly from 92-97. Choose whatever you can find. It will fit your bike without any issues. All that differs are some port heights but that's just minimal. You won't be able to tell the difference.

I'd definitely stay away from spending money on a sleeved cylinder. Do yourself a favour and get hold of a stock 92-97 cylinder, Have its bore measured and put a new piston in there with 0,05mm of play.

As for the forks, just browse the internet and try to find out which years forks you have mounted there. Then go to that manual and look for the oil level. Maybe posting a picture of your parts in here would lead to more replies....it's always easier to help when we know what we are talking about.

Edited by nino

14 hours ago, nino said:

Cylinders on 125 Honda CRs differ only slightly from 92-97. Choose whatever you can find. It will fit your bike without any issues. All that differs are some port heights but that's just minimal. You won't be able to tell the difference.

I'd definitely stay away from spending money on a sleeved cylinder. Do yourself a favour and get hold of a stock 92-97 cylinder, Have its bore measured and put a new piston in there with 0,05mm of play.

As for the forks, just browse the internet and try to find out which years forks you have mounted there. Then go to that manual and look for the oil level. Maybe posting a picture of your parts in here would lead to more replies....it's always easier to help when we know what we are talking about.

I found one on eBay for $375. You can still see the hoan marks.. I'll probably end up getting it just didn't plan on spending this much $ on this bike! Lol that's how it always goes though

Regarding the fork, the Race-Tech website has alot of info on stock springs and oil levels. To be sure of getting the best suspension advice, you could ask directly in the suspension forum. There are so many experts on the suspension forum, I'm sure you will get your answer and more...

• Like 1