Tires

Ok sorry up front for butting into the pro forum with a tech question but gettig nowhere on others and those in the know are probably here anyway.

I ordered some new Dunlop MX3S tires from Rocky recently but they sent me MX3SF. Does anyone know the difference between  the MX3S and the MX3SF ?  Last time I used a dunlop with an F at the end it wasnt a good tire. Cant remember what model that was. It was a few years ago.

Anyway dont want to mount this tire till I get an answer and as usual the Dunlop site gives a discription for the two versions that is basically the same

Edited by lowmass

I think @earldog is right. The Dunlop documentation calls out the 'F' for front e.g.:

"If the conditions vary from hard-packed to loose loam, you’ll likely will want an intermediate terrain tire like Dunlop’s MX3SF front & MX3S rear or a combination of hard track front & intermediate rear (MX52F & MX3S)."

12 hours ago, earldog said:

Could it be F is for front? What size?

Im not sure. Dunlop site lists both MX3S and MX3SF. And the last front MX3S front I had didnt have the F on it.

12 hours ago, yzernie said:

Google is your friend.

So far no joy found on all knowing goog

10 hours ago, Chaconne said:

I think @earldog is right. The Dunlop documentation calls out the 'F' for front e.g.:

"If the conditions vary from hard-packed to loose loam, you’ll likely will want an intermediate terrain tire like Dunlop’s MX3SF front & MX3S rear or a combination of hard track front & intermediate rear (MX52F & MX3S)."

Thats only half the story

from the Dunflop site,,,

"If the conditions vary from hard-packed to loose loam, you’ll likely will want a versatile tire like Dunlop’s MX3S."

As usual their description gives little. At best from these words I would assume the MX3SF would be used over the MX3S IF there is a bit more hard pack???

Anyway I have used and really like the MX3S, doesnt last long but great tire, BUT I know nothing bout this "F" version and cant seem to find any good info

12 minutes ago, lowmass said:

Im not sure. Dunlop site lists both MX3S and MX3SF. And the last front MX3S front I had didnt have the F on it.

So far no joy found on all knowing goog

Thats only half the story

from the Dunflop site,,,

"If the conditions vary from hard-packed to loose loam, you’ll likely will want a versatile tire like Dunlop’s MX3S."

As usual their description gives little. At best from these words I would assume the MX3SF would be used over the MX3S IF there is a bit more hard pack???

Anyway I have used and really like the MX3S, doesnt last long but great tire, BUT I know nothing bout this "F" version and cant seem to find any good info

Not sure I follow you. Isn't it hard-packed to loose loom MX3SF(front) and MX3S(rear) or a combination of with a hard-track front being the 52 so MX52F(front) and MX3S(rear). Maybe I am missing something. The way I read it the MX3S(rear) could be used with either the F's (52F or 3SF). No doubt they should be clearer.

Edited by Chaconne

Both descriptions have exact same qualifying words (If the conditions vary from hard-packed to loose loam).

Only difference is they call the mx3s a "versatile" tire and they call the mx3sf an "intermediate" tire. And other descriptions call them both "soft-intermediate" tires

Then go on to qualify the mx52f as a "hard track" tire. BTW I tryed that tire. Did not like it at all.

Just seems as though the wording is unclear like it was designed to make any tire the "right" tire ?

Edited by lowmass
  • Like 1

Image1499097602.425621.jpg

For all the enduro riders out there... I'm about to buy some new shoes for my 300 and was thinking about Goldentyre's because I loved the fatty front I had on my old bike. BUT GOD DAMN! Over 200 bucks for a regular front and 110/100x18 rear... I just can't bring myself to do it, they are DOT and I know they are tough but shit... not gonna happen Dunlop it is lol

• Like 5

I have the Bridgestone x30 battlecross on the front and the x40 on the rear now. Pretty good all around tires that wear well, BUT the x30 on the front does not work well in the loose dryer preped stuff. Its wash city there. The Dunlop MX3S worked  much better but wore out quick, especially if you end up on some hard dirt where the knobs will shear off.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MountAiryTrailRiders said:

Image1499097602.425621.jpg

For all the enduro riders out there... I'm about to buy some new shoes for my 300 and was thinking about Goldentyre's because I loved the fatty front I had on my old bike. BUT GOD DAMN! Over 200 bucks for a regular front and 110/100x18 rear... I just can't bring myself to do it, they are DOT and I know they are tough but shit... not gonna happen Dunlop it is lol

1 hour ago, KTMRider4Life said:

I've ran dunlops a few times over the years and always hated them. Michelin's for me, though I think I'd like to try the Goldentyre.

I'm running the Goldentyre GT333 on the rear for the summer. Very good tire for off road in combination with the rear Tubliss system. Stiff sidewall with a softer, gummy crown for grip in the rocks, logs etc. I'll be getting the Golden Fatty up front as well once my Bridgestone X30 is too worn which will be in another 2 rides or so.

If your looking for a great Goldentyre hookup sales guy, I know one and it wont break the bank! The rear I'm running was under $100 and that included shipping. He get's them direct from Goldentyre. 

0617171538.jpg.6c66386057dacdc2cf24ffc64751f780.jpg

Edited by Mongo134
  • Like 4

I'm running the Goldentyre GT333 on the rear for the summer. Very good tire for off road in combination with the rear Tubliss system. Stiff sidewall with a softer, gummy crown for grip in the rocks, logs etc. I'll be getting the Golden Fatty up front as well once my Bridgestone X30 is too worn which will be in another 2 rides or so.

If your looking for a great Goldentyre hookup sales guy, I know one and it wont break the bank! The rear I'm running was under $100 and that included shipping. He get's them direct from Goldentyre. 

0617171538.jpg.6c66386057dacdc2cf24ffc64751f780.jpg

Aka jeff bolt guy ??

4 hours ago, lowmass said:

Both descriptions have exact same qualifying words (If the conditions vary from hard-packed to loose loam).

Only difference is they call the mx3s a "versatile" tire and they call the mx3sf an "intermediate" tire. And other descriptions call them both "soft-intermediate" tires

Then go on to qualify the mx52f as a "hard track" tire. BTW I tryed that tire. Did not like it at all.

Just seems as though the wording is unclear like it was designed to make any tire the "right" tire ;)

These guys can't answer a thing.

i think you have the wrong tire based on the description and would think the S being the straight up racing compound verses the SF includes intermediate so i imagine that might be a touch more durable compound for like a practice time? The real 3 in no way shape or form would have intermediate anywhere near it. 

• Like 1