DRZ400 E kickstart install emergency

Hi Guys,

I have a ride coming up and thought I would install a kickstart onto my DRZ400e.  The kit I bought says it is for a DRZ400e.  Everything was going fine and all the parts seem like a perfect fit until I tried to install the part that is the clutch basket and clutch springs.  That part won't drop all the way down and seat.  It is hitting into the gear that is in between the gear for the kickstart and the gear on the backside of the clutch basket.  I believe it is called the kickstart idler gear.  It almost acts like the idler gear is just slightly too large.  The teeth on the idler gear and the back of the clutch basket are meshing enough that they keep each other from moving when I drop the baskets on, but I can't get the basket to seat all the way.  Are their two versions of that idler gear that are different dimensions?

No, you need to wiggle the gears slightly. Most people hit the plastic oil pump gear, do not realize it, force the clutch one, breaking the gear teeth for the oil p[ump then no longer have any oil flow-Yikes!

• Like 1

I felt for that first.  When the part is binding I can still rotate the plastic gear so I know it isn't that.   

With the basket out I can rotate the metal idler gear freely and once I drop the basket on the idler gear no longer moves and I can feel it hitting.  I have tried wiggling it a bunch.  

Ya!!!!

Success.  Its amazing what taking a break and beer can do before messing with something.  You were right.  It was a combo of jiggling and the plastic gear.  Thanks.

• Like 2

I hope you put the retainer bar on correctly. Often installed up side down.  Interferes with the clutch and makes a lot of noise when the motor starts.