New noise coming from engine:(

Before anyone says anything, this isn't one of those "I'm new to DRZs and the engine is noisy" posts. I know what a normal DRZ should sound like and I have already put in the MCCT and done the locktite fixes. A few months ago someone pulled out in front of me causing me to rear end her. The bike only suffered a bent fender and a few other small cosmetic damages. Tires wheels and forks are fine so I don't know why the engine would have an issue from that. Well anyway due to my condition I haven't ridden since, until a couple days ago, I missed it so much so I putted around the yard in first gear. Well now I'm noticing a new sound, can't hear it at idle but when revving it's quite noticeable. Hoped it'd be a loose screw somewhere vibrating but I haven't found anything. Can anyone diagnose this? Here's the video 

8 minutes ago, cowpie said:

i dont think its anything, just alittle knock maybe .. put some fresh hi test in it and go run the cobwebs out of it and see if it helps ..

You sure? You can hear the noise I'm talking about right? Kinda a buzzy vibration type sound? I just don't wanna run the heck out of it and end up with an engine rebuild, not that I'll be able to run the heck out of it for a while

I can hear it, but can't really help with it. I would guess it's coming somewhere out of top end. Perhaps you could find a source of noise with https://www.harborfreight.com/mechanics-stethoscope-69913.html

Then it would be easier to guess. 

Or, if you can't ride, but can work on the bike, perhaps it even could use some care, then I would take off the top end and probably find the problem. Also could replace rings and other easy parts if needed.

Again, I'm not sure 'bout the source of it, just guessing. 

I heard the same detonating sound that Cowpie heard while you were revving it.

It's your bike so nobody knows it better than you. I would look it over for loose bolts. It's probably something simple. I though my bike was about to grenade once and it turned out to be the glass vibrating in the mirror.

• Like 1

I think I've pinpointed the location to being somewhere near the bottom end of the engine. The skid plate it's tight but I'll take that off and see if anything is going on behind it

• Like 2

Get some adheisive backed rubber strips and put on the skid plate where it touches the frame . I started doing that 20 years ago to end those dang noises . Even tight most skids will have a rattle at certain rpms.

• Like 2

Just to let y'all know, I figured it out. It's the aftermarket skid plate. Never did that before my accident so must have somehow gotten slightly bent. Guess I'll put some kind of padding on the part that's hitting.

• Like 1

Cool!

Good that you didn't follow my thoughts :D. And good to learn a thing like this it could come handy in the future :).

3 minutes ago, Yanka said:

Cool!

Good that you didn't follow my thoughts :D. And good to learn a thing like this it could come handy in the future :).

Haha yeah, if removing the skid plate didn't work then I probably would have been taking the engine apart next 

15 minutes ago, Bm1997 said:

Just to let y'all know, I figured it out. It's the aftermarket skid plate. Never did that before my accident so must have somehow gotten slightly bent. Guess I'll put some kind of padding on the part that's hitting.

Sometimes, we're hyper-sensitive after a get-off too. :)