Recess in sealing surface. How to fix?

I bought this 99 kx250 as a project. There is a major recess in the sealing surface where the cylinder mates with the case. Im almost certain it will not seal. How can i fix it?

20170702_204959.jpg

20170702_205010.jpg

Fortunately, that is a non-critical spot. If you want to do it right, a place like Engine Dynamics can weld and machine it like new. You can also simply epoxy it and then carefully machine it flat.

Me? I'd pony up the cash for a pro to make it like new

4 minutes ago, nate9521 said:

I bought this 99 kx250 as a project. There is a major recess in the sealing surface where the cylinder mates with the case. Im almost certain it will not seal. How can i fix it?

20170702_204959.jpg

20170702_205010.jpg

Can see someone was in there with a grinder or dremell.  Best way to fix is to take it to welding shop have them fill it but over fill. Then you grind file back flat :thumbsup:

That looks like amateur hour splitting cases to me I don't know why anyone would Dremel that side that's not even the right side to Dremel for big bores clearance etc . But ya don't even think about trying to put that jug on without getting those welded up it will never seal .

• Like 2

I found my PE175 has the exact same looking marks on its cases too when I pulled it town. I had always assumed that it had been from an engine failure at some stage. Maybe like a rod breaking and smashing that spot??

Mine wasn't quite as bad as that though.