1989 XR250R Front Brake Switch Help

Hello,

I have a 1989 XR250R that I am going to convert to a dual sport. I ordered the Tusk lighting kit and the drum brake switch. 

However, I do not know how to install the front brake light switch. What part would I need and how would I install? 

Sorry I am a noob.

Thanks

I don't think it has a front brake switch, unless they changed the kit, it just assumes that you will be using the brakes simultaneously... and there really shouldn't be a situation where you are using the front without the rear unless you're doing stopies/endos....

For drum brakes the switch is round and fits into the leaver perch behind cable adjuster this pic I just took is of my 83 xl250r has drum brakes my finger is pointing at the brake switch in the purch  hope it helps  :)

xl 001.JPG

2 hours ago, Undercover Poe said:

Pick up a perch and lever from a NX or XL or any other street legal bike that has the switch and use that

Yep, there's one on ebay for $27 right now (search XR250L front brake).

Or, use a hydraulic brake switch for $8 - $10.

• Like 1

Just now, DaveCR said:

Yep, there's one on ebay for $27 right now (search XR250L front brake).

Or, use a hydraulic brake switch for $8 - $10.

Only problem with a hydraulic switch is  where do you put it on DRUM brakes????:rolleyes:

• Like 1

Or get ANY nissin maser cylinder front brake light switch for like $3. I have a handful if youre in SoCal. I dont even see a brand new best kind one for less than $10. 

How do you plan on getting direct current?

Grr. I just forgot...R...is there two holes (one threaded) under your master cylinder? Either way thats just a master cylinder switch, or Id get the front hydraulic line switch. Front brakes are 70%

Edited by notoriousE-R-I-C

2 minutes ago, vicxr400 said:

Only problem with a hydraulic switch is  where do you put it on DRUM brakes????:rolleyes:

1989 US models have a front disc.

Just now, DaveCR said:

1989 US models have a front disc.

Did you read the starting post?????? he states DRUM brakes not disk??:banghead:

• Like 1

He knows. He is saying get a hydraulic line switch for the front disk. 

It obviously isn't a hydraulic switch for the rear but there is a switcg. Hes saying use that or this. What Im saying is you use your fronts 70% you use your rear 30% best and first bet would be to get a FRONT, either hydraulic line switch or the master switch which its an R it might not have it but its an enduro. I had and right now have two Rs where the master has switches. So go spend $5 or if youre near San Diego Ill just give you one. I bet you could walk to the vack of a Honda and say psssst can I get one of these? Boom, under the table

Vic said exactly the right ish

That man knows what hes talking about

• Like 1

All good hope you got what you were looking for in all our dribble??? ha ha good luck with it all