Solar Eclipse & Baumgartner

We've had our semi-annual trip to Baumgartner August 15-20 planned for a while but have recently realized that the solar eclipse on August 21 may effect the area as it's directly in the primary path of the eclipse. Have any locals heard of plans for big crowds in the area? We are worried that all the camp sites will be filled up when we arrive Tuesday night August 15. We may be able to switch to the week earlier if it looks like the area will be crowded. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I'm not sure about that area specific but I would for sure move to an earlier date. I live by Idaho Falls which is also in the direct path and hotels have been booked for months people are rent out there houses and yards for ridiculous amounts some guys are renting out fields for camping spots... I think you are going to hate it if you are trying to drive anywhere or go to a restaurant or anything a couple days before or after.

It will be a mad house.  

A few small towns have already declared a state of emergency for those dates because they are expecting more visitors than there are residents.

I would try and change the date.

• Like 1

Lunacy. Ban the moon.  

Seriously, freaks from everywhere are going to descend on Idaho? Damn, must be your turn because in Washington we've been plagued by these retards for decades. 

• Like 3

It might not be open, closed as of now with no mention of when it's opening.  Updates, call (208) 764-3202.

On 7/7/2017 at 4:26 PM, vdigz said:

It might not be open, closed as of now with no mention of when it's opening.  Updates, call (208) 764-3202.

There are other areas to camp other than Baum. You would need to go in north from Fairfield, over Couch Summit to Big Smoky then over Fleck Summit. Use Google maps to search on "Sawtooth Camp, Fairfield, ID" to get you in the area.

But with several road washouts, linking some trails is going to take some creativity. There are currently two closures on the road east out of Baum. One only a few miles up and another near the top of the road, near Big Smoky. There is a go-around on the lower one but it's crawling through rocks for a distance. 

Edited by IdaSpode
Additional info

Dang, that looks like a lot of damage to the road that was just repaired a couple years ago. If you're camping on the east end of Baum it looks like you can still drive to Big Hole?

16 hours ago, slcpunk said:

Dang, that looks like a lot of damage to the road that was just repaired a couple years ago. If you're camping on the east end of Baum it looks like you can still drive to Big Hole?

From the east, the road is closed at Bown's CG, which is just a couple of mile downstream from the Big Smoky junction, so no coming in that way to Big Hole. The other closure is further downstream, and as I mentioned above, there is only a rocky bypass section. It can be ridden but you can't "drive" it.

Are there any good swimming holes or river access near the Sawtooth camping spot. Also do you think that area will be affected by the Solar Eclipse crowd? one of our guys is pretty committed to the Aug 15-20. Any thoughts on maybe going up to near Stanley instead?

Near Stanley would be worse as the eclipse passes directly over it.  You would be driving through either Sun Valley or Arco, both of which are also eclipse destinations and will be traffic disasters.

Baumgarter might actually be the least bad place to be for mountain riding because it's not directly in the path, and it's not a very good spot for people who want to go to the path that morning because it's 10 miles of rough trails to get there.