How not to install your air filter

FAWK ME!

I'm pretty careful about this, but would be no way to tell unless you remove the seat or right side panel (pic is from right side).

20170702_163859.jpg.d99922e2d87777bec11bef9c211ecce9.jpg

Edited by basalt
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, basalt said:

FAWK ME!

I'm pretty careful about this, but would be no way to tell unless you remove the seat or right side panel (pic is from right side).

20170702_163859.jpg.d99922e2d87777bec11bef9c211ecce9.jpg

Yikes!

I'm heading out to the garage right now, pulling off the right side panel and checking! 

That'd really hurt my new 390!

What bike do you have?

'16 500RS - sounds like they may have redesigned it for 18

I will definitely be at least removing the seat to look when I clean the filter.

Yeah had that happen once to us too a few years ago. Now even when doing filter changes during a pit stop of a long 10 or 24 hour race I still remove the seat and run my fingers back there to check. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Krannie McKranface said:

This topic has been covered in numerous threads.

You must take the seat off and check for proper seating, everytime you change the filter.

Copy that.  Good to know.  

4 hours ago, Krannie McKranface said:

This topic has been covered in numerous threads.

You must take the seat off and check for proper seating, everytime you change the filter.

That and run your pinky all the way around filter to make sure it's seated.

• Like 2

Good post, educates new people who have just joined the Beta Club.              :ride:

I have done it before, when I took the dirty Air Filter off to put clean one on, I noticed dust and bits of dirt in the bottom right corner of the filter box manifold. ARRRRGGHH. Not happy at myself.

I was spewing I didnt take the seat off and check it was seated right, still paranoid about it now.

The only good thing is, when I pulled the barrel all was still real good.

Edited by Jabiru
  • Like 1

I have also had this happen once and now i'm super anal about it.  I also very lightly grease the inside of my airboot passed the filter JUST in case some debris does get by..

Despite some of the dust and sand that got by i didn't notice much wear anywhere on my engine when i did my top end.  Definitely a bit of a design flaw to say the least. 

I always run my fingers around the paremeter to feel that it's seated properly.  Haven't had any dust in the intake. 

Thanks for the reminder as well as the pic, to unfortunately, show what happens when the filter doesn't get seated correctly. 

I had made sure that my filter was seated correctly and had both taken the seat off and even the opposite panel to make sure that  it was all the way on.  I recall it being mentioned here and on the 2017 430 RR-S 24 hours at Glen Helen test where they had mentioned the air filter caution as well.  

22 hours ago, randysoo said:

OP. was there dust inside your air boot?

Yup. 

On 7/4/2017 at 1:27 AM, Jabiru said:

Good post, educates new people who have just joined the Beta Club.              :ride:

Also applies to the KTM club as well.

• Like 2

I always use an airboot cover (with a rag stuffed in the boot for insurance) for a wash, seat off. So, I start with a clean airbox and no seat. Always line up notches in cage with wings in airboot, seat filter, then attempt to rotate filter on airboot rim. If it doesn't move your good, latch arm, check circumference, ride. I don't use grease, just NoToil oil on the filter. There is a lot of force on the filter from the arm, it's always stuck to the rim very good.

• Like 3