650l Top end

Ok guys I'm going to rebuild my top end on my 650l.  Should I use a wiseco 101mm or go with the 102mm?  Should I use a hotcam single stage or stay stock? 

get the cylinder measured and see what is needed ...going up just one size....  nothing is gained going up that extra mm beyond what is needed..it is not enough of an overbore to waste not being able to rebore when needed again years down the road..if you went from 100mm to 105 or 106mm  then yes there is something to be gained but that requires an oversized sleeve and the cases bored..

the OE cam actually works pretty decent....but an aftermarket or welded up cam can give you more power and at a higher rpm if chosen correctly..

B

• Like 2

I would stay away from the Hot Cam, I put one in my 93 Xr650L, and it DESTROYED my Rockers in one Day! now supposedly they work fine but you have to get the  Rockers Hardened or something, because the the Cam Lobes Facing is harder than the stock Rockers. 

just my 2 cents worth. hope it helps. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Windminion said:

I would stay away from the Hot Cam, I put one in my 93 Xr650L, and it DESTROYED my Rockers in one Day! now supposedly they work fine but you have to get the  Rockers Hardened or something, because the the Cam Lobes Facing is harder than the stock Rockers. 

just my 2 cents worth. hope it helps. 

:facepalm:   Completely WRONG. The HotCam  is completely compatible with the stock , unhardened rockers , just like the stock cam. A hard welded cam is only compatible with hardened / hard welded rockers and vice versa. Worn rockers or cams are guaranteed to chew each other up , so will improper valve clearances and  lack of oil . ESPECIALLY lack of oil. To eat a cam in one day, you obviously had no oil flow , but , yeah sure , it was the cam.    :lame:

• Like 1