Fork seals and bushing replacement

Just wondering how hard it is to do your own fork seals/bushings? Im up for the challenge (I think) as long as it isnt gonna be a massive pain in the a**. Anybody do their own seals and bushing or is it worth it to take it to a shop.

1 hour ago, fourfiftee said:

Just wondering how hard it is to do your own fork seals/bushings? Im up for the challenge (I think) as long as it isnt gonna be a massive pain in the a**. Anybody do their own seals and bushing or is it worth it to take it to a shop.

I've always done my own, probably a dozen or so.

Check your manual and figure out how to make any specialty tools that may be required. Seal drivers are easy, plastic pipe. I have a collection of various primitive tools I've hacked up to do the job.

If you're handy it's never worth it to take anything to the shop.

• Like 3

I've always done my own, mostly all open chamber (easy ones) though. Not much to them once you've seen their insides. 

If you have any doubts, a YouTube search can yield good "how to" info. 

I've always done my own, probably a dozen or so.
Check your manual and figure out how to make any specialty tools that may be required. Seal drivers are easy, plastic pipe. I have a collection of various primitive tools I've hacked up to do the job.

I agree. It's not very difficult, and you'll benefit from the familiarity you gain with your suspension. Another benefit is that you can keep about a $40 parts inventory so you can do quick repairs to avoid missing a ride. Once you've done it, you're only two small nuts and a set of calipers away from doing revalves.

Good luck!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, fourfiftee said:

What make, model & year of bike ?

and where are you located in Canada?    (if near the Quebec/Ontario border I can suggest a suspension shop if required)

A couple good videos on servicing forks

https://youtu.be/vrafDhaHbKc
https://youtu.be/rGjUpxEMrT0

Same guy has good videos on the shock as well. Check out his youtube channel.

Specifics to your bike may be different but a shop manual should have all the details.

I'm relatively new to dirt bikes and have been doing my own service on my forks since day one - IMO not hard at all.

I'd rather not count on the cheap labor the shops hire to give a hoot about my bike.

Edited by GoneDirtBikeN
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, mlatour said:

What make, model & year of bike ?

and where are you located in Canada?    (if near the Quebec/Ontario border I can suggest a suspension shop if required)

09yz450f, Only a 20hr drive to Ontario ;).

22 minutes ago, GoneDirtBikeN said:

I'd rather not count on the cheap labor the shops hire to give a hoot about my bike.

Thanks for the videos, I agree 100% with the the cheap crappy job shops tend to due. And also seeing the majority of people are saying they do their own, including yourself, I think this should be a walk in the park :). thanks guys

The TBT Racing how-to videos on YouTube are just about the best way to learn online,

he demonstrates KYB 'SSS' type forks, the same as your YZ450F. 

• Like 2

Not hard, do it yourself. Just remember if you are doing it because of leaks, one side usually has less fluid if the leak is substantial. You might want to add or replace fluid to the proper level. A minor leak may not require that.

5 minutes ago, kdxyardsale said:

Not hard, do it yourself. Just remember if you are doing it because of leaks, one side usually has less fluid if the leak is substantial. You might want to add or replace fluid to the proper level. A minor leak may not require that.

Yea got a leak, just appeared and started oozing a lot........ Also Anyone got any fork seal kits they would recommend? Looked at the pivot works fork rebuild kit  https://fortnine.ca/en/pivot-works-fork-rebuild-kit or could buy a fork seal kit and a bushings kit seperate if a different brand is better.

If you want to avoid headaches, use only genuine OEM seals and bushings.

The few dollars saved on aftermarket stuff is quickly forgotten when you have to tear back into the forks sooner than anticipated.

I think Honda only sells the fork tube seals and bushings kits, the other parts you can contact suspension shops like Factory Connection.

ICS and lower cartridge/rod seals are about 15$ each. The OEM brand is NOK

Many of us have 'been there-done that' with Pivot Works, All Balls etc. 

here's a chance to learn from OUR mistakes rather than your own!

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

You can for sure do it yourself. I didn't d mine for the first time ever on my yz250, and it was pretty easy. As long as you have the service manual and the time to do it ( don't rush yourself) you'll be fine. Oh ya and as long as you have you tube to help out. There were a couple of you tube videos a watched for very helpful tips during the process. Best advice I can give you is prepare yourself before even starting, make sure you have all the oem parts and space to do the project. Set up a table if need be. And read the manual step by step. Good luck
  • Like 2

anyone read this topic still? 😅. had a question before I ordered the parts, yes its taken me this long lol. If my forks have a 48mm ring at the top (so id buy a 48mm ring wrench) would I buy a 48mm fork seal driver ? Cant find much help in the owners manual lol. 

• Like 1

Top cap hex size perhaps a coincidence,

but yes KYB 'SSS' type forks have 48mm diameter tubes so require a 48mm seal driver.

That size driver can also be used for 47mm seals, like Showa TC47 forks found on many Honda CRF's.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

On 7/3/2017 at 5:19 PM, mlatour said:

The TBT Racing how-to videos on YouTube are just about the best way to learn online,

he demonstrates KYB 'SSS' type forks, the same as your YZ450F. 

I had Travis do my forks and shock a few months ago on my CRF 450R(for my lard ass 255 lbs.),super nice guy.Thanks for posting the YouTube link mlatour,didn't even know he had any videos on there.:thumbsup:

• Like 1