300 or 250 2 stroke

I'm currently on a ktm 09 exc 450 and am very keen to move to 2 stroke but don't know what would suit me best. I ride my local Enduro series and mainly stick to technical sandy/rocky trails, some woods and mud (South Africa). Iv been told before that 300's are actually easier to ride in the sense that you can rely on torque and the bottom end more (like my 450) in technical sections, whereas a 250 requires you to move through gears quickly and keep it in the top end more. Keeping in mind Iv been on a 450 4t for a while and have become comfortable with the amount of power, I feel going for a 300 might be a better transition. On the other hand the last 2t I had was a kx 85 when I was growing up, in that case would going for a 250 for now be better. I'm 22 1,8m 90kg and not one really for speed, much prefer trail and technical riding.

Thanks!!

My understanding is that the 250 and 300 basically make exactly the same power and are dead even in a drag race.  The difference is how and where they make the power.   The 300 makes more low end and the 250 makes more top end power.  So it's really personal preference.  If it was me, I'd probably opt for the 300, especially now that they have a counter balancer (250s were always smoother). But that's because my riding style leans more towards lugging the bike through the gnarly stuff rather than keeping it up on the pipe and riding very aggressively. 

Based on your description it sounds like you ride more like me.  If that's the case the 300 is probably the better option.  I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.  I love my 4 stroke Enduro bike, but it simply cannot compare to a 2-stroke Enduro bike when it comes to the ability to lug the bike down low without it stalling and the ability to get that front wheel up with a blip of the throttle without picking up gobs of speed.

Doc

• Like 1

I'd say coming off a 450 the 300 would be more tourqe for ya. 250 more rev and racey for say. But neither will have raw power or straight line speed as 450

• Like 1

If I can ask you guys something else.. In terms of improving my technique would the 250 not be more suitable? Iv been riding for a while but only really started taking it a bit more seriously now. Would going for the 250 which seems a bit harder to ride not help improve my riding overall instead of going for the easier option and not a having anything to move up to. Rather master the 250 then move up to the 300 once my technique has improved.

Thanks for the quick replys!

I don't think it would be that much diferance with the two. Bigger diferance will be from fourstroke to twostroke I would think anyway 

• Like 2

If your worried about improving your technique at the same time as swapping over to 2 stroke why not try a 200? It is more alike to a 300 but just less power. This will give you time to improve your ability before upgrading to the biggest capacity 2 stroke.

As a rule of thumb for me, a 125 and 250 are similar in that you need to rev the shit out of them to get in the meat of the power and a 200 and 300 are similar in that they will use their torque to plod you around but still open up nicely on top.

The question is are you a rever or not really?