Dune Flag Mount

Come August, I'm going to the Silver Lake Sand Dunes.  I've never taken my bike before, but I thought it might be kind of fun.  So I was looking around for a dune flag mount, and I found nothing for the Beta.  From what I was reading on the interweb, the axle mounts pretty much suck.  I found a company that makes a flag mount that mounts to the exhaust, but unfortunately, they don't make one for the Beta.  So, I made one.  As best as I could do, I pretty much copied the design from HRF motorsports.  I used a quick connect air coupler and the flag will screw into that top piece.

I don't know if if I will take it to the dunes or not, but at least now I can :)

The picture of the orange one is the one that I copied.  The black one is mine.

KTM250-450-11-4T.jpg

20170701_144257.jpg

20170701_174152.jpg

• Like 1

IMHO, When riding in dune sand, be  sure to:

- NOT lubricate your chain

- Use a filter skin over your air filter

- Make sure your filter is seated 100% by removing your seat and physically checking the difficult/right side seating of the filter, and GREASE THE RIM of the filter.

- Filter  your gas if you are gassing up near the sand area (gas tanks are commonly filled with sand

- After your ride inspect the intake air boot for any sand

- over-grease the wheel bearing seals and axles, to act as a shield

Thanks for those tips.  I appreciate it.  I ride in the michigan sand, but never a 100% sand-filled dune.  Most of our trails have sand at one point or another.  I never lube the chain (I have an o ring chain).  I knew about the filter skins.  I want to start using them all the time anyways just to make it easier.  I just saw the post about removing the seat to check the air filter.  Man.  I never knew this.  I'll be doing that every time from now on.  I always grease the rim already.  I have an in-line fuel filter that I installed when I bought the bike new.  And I'll add some grease around the axles and seals.  That's a great idea.  Thanks Krannie.

• Like 1

I quit running whip mounts years ago after snapping too many flags. I simply zip tie them to chest protector or backpack. Have not lost one since. You just have to position it so it doesn't hit you in the back of your head.

Chris, not sure if you've run Silver lake but they have a minimum flag height that makes you need to run a fairly heavy flag, you need to hit a cross bar on the way in. Not sure your method would work there. We normally used an axle mount but would mount a eyelet to guide the flag post on the rear fender. But that was 8 years ago, can only assume the DNR rules have gotten worse.