Valve Clearance Help

Hi

I did my first valve clearance check on my 2016 KTM 500 EXC. All the valves are well within spec. But I have a few questions for you all.

1) Is there a trick for getting the breather hose off ? I was able to get the clip off but that hose was mated to the case cover. Can I get a screw driver in there ? Or what tricks are there for removing a breather hose that's completely stuck to the case ? In the end, I just moved the case around to get the feeler gauges.. Worst case, would it be possible to actually change shims while the case cover is still connected to the breather hose ?

2) Finding Top Dead Center (TDC). Most posts and videos I saw said to put it in 6th gear and turn the wheel. There's no way that's going to work. Way too much compression. I even tried putting the bike on the ground and pushing it in gear and all it did was skid the back wheel. In the end, I just used the kick starter.. which, was a PITA as the kick starter is on the other side of where the dots are for finding TDC. What do you do for finding TDC ? Those that own a 2017 version that don't have a kick starter, what are they doing ?

Otherwise, for my first valve check, pretty painless.. I was happy they were all in spec. Of course when I put the cover back on, the rubber gasket wasn't sealed and after running the engine for a while, it was spitting out oil.. Of course I had already put the tank and saddle back on. Grrrr.

J

Edited by shampoo
typo

1) the I used a medium sized flat head and slowly gently pushed all the way around till it popped off.

2) did you remove the spark plug before trying to find TDC. In my experience it helps a lot.

Finding TDC- I use the 6th gear-on-a-stand with the socket & long breaker to turn it slowly CCW. The valves should dip intake-exhaust- close, then dip deep intake-exhaust to line up the dots. At that point you should be able to remove the thick CU washer on the clutch case and install it flush to the case to hold the crank for valve checking or shim changes.

Removing the vent hose- helps to get a spray lube tube under under one side, lube it and work the hose around. Contact cleaner removes the lube when you replace it - to help it stay there. 

I used a torque wrench on the cap for a tight fit. 

A socket and long breaker (I assume bar)... What are you connecting the socket to ?

Thanks for the help so far.. I think removing the sparkplug is the option I shall try.. I'll try a small flat head screw driver and some contact cleaner..

Thanks !

Edited by shampoo