Sign in to follow this  

4st efi below 0C cold start

I live in Western Australia its a warm place most of the time however. On the weekend I was at a race in it was very cold bikes covered in ice tents covered in ice COLD. Anyway my 2016 350rr is normally a good starter really good but it didn't want to fire up. My battery is new and turned the bike over well I could hear it fire but no go. I ended up jump starting the bike off my car. So whats the secret of really cold starts ? Is this a common issue? And yes the valves are in spec the bike runs fine and starts fine normally as it did today at 10c ambient. 

MM 

Do you have a LA battery or a Li battery?

With LA, there is not much you can do but find 'more amps' by piggy backing another battery.

For Li, you 'warm up' the battery, by trying to start the bike for 3 seconds at a time, with a 10 sec wait in between. Do this several times, and the Li cells will get hot, and become more effcient.

• Like 1

I ran mine all winter in the snow and once prepped never had an issue starting.  I did alot to make sure it ran good in the snow, but the single biggest thing for starting was changing the oil from 10w40 to 5w40 or even 0w40 in the coldest months.  Most of the winter I ran Shell Rotella T6 0w40.  The other thing was keeping the battery warm.  I made a quick disconnect for mine so I could keep it in the truck until ready but I have a lithium in it.  I also carry a small jump pack with me.

0114171228a_zpso8oqnrbm.jpg

0403172212a_zpscp8577vs.jpg

• Like 1

I live in Western Australia its a warm place most of the time however. On the weekend I was at a race in it was very cold bikes covered in ice tents covered in ice COLD. Anyway my 2016 350rr is normally a good starter really good but it didn't want to fire up. My battery is new and turned the bike over well I could hear it fire but no go. I ended up jump starting the bike off my car. So whats the secret of really cold starts ? Is this a common issue? And yes the valves are in spec the bike runs fine and starts fine normally as it did today at 10c ambient. 

MM 

Check your spark plug cap, just try to push it down firmly & see if it goes in a little further. Water/moisture can enter & cause hard starting when cold.