High On Octane

Cased A 60' Tabletop - Video Now Added

70 posts in this topic

Welp    Spending a late night at the ER because I'm not getting any better. Xrays showed my sternum is completely broken, but luckily not displaced.  I guess it's bad enough that they chose to do a CT scan of both my chest and head.  Apparently I've been down playing my injuries and should have come in right away when it happened. 

At one point the doctor comes in to get the story.  She immediately recognized me from when I crashed into a mailbox on my drift trike last year.  I had a bruise on my inner left thigh the size of a football.  3 different nurses commented on how it was the worst contusion they'd ever seen.  One thing is for sure, when I crash, I crash epic.

Well, this hospital bill is going to bankrupt me.  If only I had known that throttling out would have saved my ass.  I freaking know it works too, I do it all the time while cornering.  Some things you have to learn the hard way I guess.  

Dang my guess was way off! You must be in a load of pain. Best of luck!
1 person likes this

4 hours ago, CMDR Oblivious said:

Hate to hear that. Riding dirt bikes is never a case of "if you crash". It is however a case of "when you crash" and how bad it is. Spend a few bucks on a local pro and get some basic lessons. Motorcycle control is substantially improved with correct body positioning and techniques. The sooner you build the habits, the safer (very relative riding MX) you will be.

That's a good idea.  I'm sure I can make something like that happen.  I think my problem was that I can clear everything on the intermediate track no problem. I don't normally ride there pro track, but it was empty and thought "what the heck". The more that I think about it, I probably should have clicked into 3rd as well.  But I had never hit that jump before, so it was my own stupid fault for trying it on my own.  And definitely should've throttled out.

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, CR250_182 said:

Dang my guess was way off! You must be in a load of pain. Best of luck!

Yeah, broken sternum, fractured #7 rib and other smaller fractures and bad concussion.  Every time they did a test they wanted to do more tests.  Xrays, blood work, CT scan of my head and chest, which led to an EKG that came back abnormal which led to more blood work.  But ultimately was released on "light duty work" w/ a script for Percs.  I was hoping to be out for 2 weeks, looks like it's going to be closer to 8 weeks.  Hope I heal up in time for my first hate scramble.  

Almost forgot, they also have me an aspirometer(?) because the notice me taking shallow breaths and were afraid I might develop pneumonia.  So they have me this thing to do breathing exercises.

Edited by High On Octane
Forgot a detail

Yeah, broken sternum, fractured #7 rib and other smaller fractures and bad concussion.  Every time they did a test they wanted to do more tests.  Xrays, blood work, CT scan of my head and chest, which led to an EKG that came back abnormal which led to more blood work.  But ultimately was released on "light duty work" w/ a script for Percs.  I was hoping to be out for 2 weeks, looks like it's going to be closer to 8 weeks.  Hope I heal up in time for my first hate scramble.  

Almost forgot, they also have me an aspirometer(?) because the notice me taking shallow breaths and were afraid I might develop pneumonia.  So they have me this thing to do breathing exercises.

Good luck!

Wow

I found out from my doctor that I passed out from not enough blood to brain. Turns out I have heart issues. Enjoy your youth, enjoy your life as you know it!

10 hours ago, High On Octane said:

2 hours ago, Rasta Papa said:

I found out from my doctor that I passed out from not enough blood to brain. Turns out I have heart issues. Enjoy your youth, enjoy your life as you know it!

Best of luck to both of you!

2 people like this

Damn that sucks - heal up soon!!

1 person likes this

Do not rush the recovery, both physical and mental..... 

2 people like this

Well, didn't you get the message?   You're the best at life.  You win!

Not exactly sure how I high-sided myself when my body wasn't even on the the bike anymore.  But, thanks for the all the wisdom you have shared.  With your advice, I now have enough confidence to hit any jump, anywhere, any time!

The bounce off the flat landing set you leaning to one side. More throttle might have saved it, but probably not. I've done that same thing a few times and you need to react quickly to bring it back. Heal up buddy, and now you know how much faster you need to hit that jump next time.
2 people like this

Well, I'm all kinds of jacked up still...  But, hey!  At least I made the latest crash reel on Moto Madness!  I don't know how to share Facebook videos and it doesn't look like it up on the YouTube channel yet.  But, I'll post it when they do.

If you don't mind me asking - how old are you?  I'm 47 and it takes me a LOT longer to heal up completely than when I was 27 (which of course my wife constantly reminds me :)).

Don't rush your recovery or get back on the bike too quickly; hopefully you are at least feeling a little bit better each day.

44 minutes ago, BLSJDS said:

If you don't mind me asking - how old are you?  I'm 47 and it takes me a LOT longer to heal up completely than when I was 27 (which of course my wife constantly reminds me :)).

Don't rush your recovery or get back on the bike too quickly; hopefully you are at least feeling a little bit better each day.

Old enough to know better, young enough to still think I can do thangs like in my 20's.  Hahaha  I'll be 39 on October 29th.  My own personal problem is that all thru my 20's I kicked boxed and even did pro MMA for a year or so.  I've always been very athletic, with the exception of the last 8 years or so, I haven't been very active due to knee problems from dirt bike and bmx crashes in my teens.  Good news is that I am feeling a little better every day.  Yesterday was the first day that I didn't take any Percocet until bedtime.  Tho, yesterday I finally got a sneeze worked up that I couldn't get to go away, and it felt like my chest exploded.

But, for the most part, my chest just has constant pressure and not so much pain unless I move wrong or over-exert myself.  Which I've been trying very hard not to do.  Coughing while smoking my herb doesn't hurt so much now and I can take fairly deep breathes without anything hurting.  I think the biggest nuisance currently, is my broken rib, because I keep getting major Charlie-horses around the break.  And because it's basically right in my armpit, the only thing I can do is stretch my right arm over my head, and my left arm across my chest.  I look goofy AF, but at least it relieves the discomfort.  Also, for what ever reason, every time I take a left turn in my pickup too fast, I feel like my torso is being ripped in 2.  It actually really sucks driving, because my little ol' pickup doesn't have power steering.

As far as the Moto Madness edit, looks like they may have only released it on Facebook.  If you're on FB and Like Moto Madness Youtube, look for the video titled "Ride Dirtbikes...  It will be fun!!!"  

1 person likes this

here's my worst one yet, skip to 16:50

the real question is, after the recovery are you gonna clear that tabletop?
4 people like this

42 minutes ago, ScrewMx_Hd said:

That's my intentions.  I don't give up that easy.  Even if it did almost kill me.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Of course, if my wife was reading this, she'd be slapping the heck outta me right now.  

3rd gear, scrub, pin throttle if all else fails.  I think I got it.

Then again I could get my friend that knows how to rip to ride ahead of me and try my hardest to keep up.

Once again, don't mention any of this to my wife.  :ride:

Edited by High On Octane
2 people like this

Well, it's officially been 5 weeks today since the crash.  Freaking jonesing big time to ride.  The healing process is going great except for my rib, that S.O.B. is still bothering me.  Sternum on the other hand is feeling great.  No real discomfort or pain from there unless I sneeze.  Been thinking about working out on the elliptical machine in the fitness room here at my apts, but have been having a hard time waking up in the morning.

Anyway, been slowly getting myself back into regular activities.  Last weekend, I got back on my drift trike and thrashed for a few hours and felt pretty good.  My family will be here for the week visiting this week, so will likely borrow my boss's kayaks and take the kids kayaking in the reservoir at Cherry Creek state park where they are staying at.  Should be great exercise for getting my core back up to par.  And no real current there, so shouldn't be any worries of overdoing it and can take it easy.

Next weekend, we're taking the RV to the track for the weekend for some trail riding, and the get my kids and my mom on the boss's quad.  I still would like to do the hare scramble on September 17, so will be a race of taking it easy at first, and slowly push myself a little harder each weekend.  So, will definitely need to start working out.

2 people like this

Here's a Quik edit I put together of my drift trike shenanigans from last weekend.  Thankful I didn't crash, because I have a history of sending it hard on my trike and wrecking at 30-40mph.  Haha

Sorry you took a digger and hope you heal up well.  The older we get, the harder it is.  I've been learning a few new tracks recently and in the process learning some of the new bigger jumps on each of the tracks.  (FYI - I'm 46 and have been riding for about 10 years, 5 years on tracks - I maybe ride once or twice a month).  I come up short on tables all the time when learning the new jumps until I land them (just go a little farther and farther each time) - the jumps are anywhere from 55-80 ft.  I try to pull up on the bars and/or panic rev the crap out of my bike to let the rear wheel/suspension take the brunt of the landing then set the front down second.  I do have an after market suspension (Factory Connection) and it saves a ton on the hard hits.  Sometimes there just isn't much you can do.  I've swapped hard too a few times.   Heal up.  Remember, always keep the front wheel pointed in the direction you are going.  You can save it when the back wheel steps out (as long as you are on the gas), but if the front wheel is pointed in the wrong direction of travel, you're screwed.

1 person likes this

On 7/22/2017 at 4:50 PM, ScrewMx_Hd said:

If you all just skipped to 16:50, go back and watch it all!   Great vid thanks for posting!  I enjoyed it!  You're flying through those woods!!  

Was cause of the crash trying to clear that jump for the kids!?  lol  and daaang you hopped up quit and shut the camera off instantly!!  was that the end of the race then?  

2 people like this

If you all just skipped to 16:50, go back and watch it all!   Great vid thanks for posting!  I enjoyed it!  You're flying through those woods!!  
Was cause of the crash trying to clear that jump for the kids!?  lol  and daaang you hopped up quit and shut the camera off instantly!!  was that the end of the race then?  

Don't really know what i was thinking. I Put my hands up to fix the camera but cut out the rest of the video cause it was all just me trying to kick the bike over, finally started and let the clutch out and heard a metal crunch IMG_0778.PNG