WP Fork Bumper Help

I recently picked up a 2007 250 XC and I have been going over everything. The fork seals were leaking, so I got a kit, bushings and seals, to rebuild the forks. While loosening the top cap I noticed that the top bumper (I don't know the correct term) was deteriorated in a bad way. What's the correct term for the bumper, and does anyone know where I can pick one up. I've looked on a couple sites and parts phish, but nothing. Thanks

This isn't for the shock, it's on the forks.  I can't find anything on the schematics, and none of the videos show this set up on the open chamber forks. I'm almost starting to think its something aftermarket, like oversized preloads and the bumper has no effect. Should I re-install?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Droptyne

1 hour ago, Droptyne said:

This isn't for the shock, it's on the forks.  I can't find anything on the schematics, and none of the videos show this set up on the open chamber forks. I'm almost starting to think its something aftermarket, like oversized preloads and the bumper has no effect. Should I re-install?

image.jpg

image.jpg

That looks out of place...

Here is the microfiche for a 2007 KTM 250XC front fork:  http://50.249.93.75/munnracing/catalog/showpart_2007.cfm?componentid=19937&engine_number=083631G&chassis_number= 6375G0&model=250 XC

It looks like someone thought installing a shock bumper in the fork was a good idea.  Never heard of it before and that is where the preload spacers should be.

The preloads are in there as well, but the "cup" that the bumper is sitting in makes them completely useless.  You may be right, that someone put the shock bumper in the fork (which is why the discentigrated). I'm not going to reinstall those pieces, and definitely glad that I'm taking the time to go over this bike

11 hours ago, E-TECH said:

That is not a WP fork, that is a KYB fork.

Wow, just did some searching, you're right! Great (not really). How can I figure out what they came off of

Edited by Droptyne

Ok, so from what I've been able to find from searching microfiches, these look like forks that were used on older (up to 2004) WRs, despite the WP stickers on the upper tubes....URGH!!! Anyways, how do these forks compare to the OC WP forks that were originally on the KTM.

1 hour ago, Droptyne said:

Ok, so from what I've been able to find from searching microfiches, these look like forks that were used on older (up to 2004) WRs, despite the WP stickers on the upper tubes....URGH!!! Anyways, how do these forks compare to the OC WP forks that were originally on the KTM.

IDK but the suspension on my 07 250 xcf w  was excellent.

2 hours ago, Droptyne said:

You probably got shafted on the forks if they are in fact early WR250F forks.

Here in Aus a very well known Yamaha enduro racer (Geoff Ballard) used to swap TTR RWU forks onto the early WR250F.

Anything can be fixed tho.

• Like 1

Yeah, those look like KYB 46u or maybe 48u forks.  Both are relatively crap versus stock WP units.  I'd be on the lookout for a set of WP takeoffs like what came on your bike.  Those forks will be out of production nearly 15 years now and parts aren't going to get easier to find.

12 hours ago, bikedude987 said:

Yeah, those look like KYB 46u or maybe 48u forks.  Both are relatively crap versus stock WP units.  I'd be on the lookout for a set of WP takeoffs like what came on your bike.  Those forks will be out of production nearly 15 years now and parts aren't going to get easier to find.

Surely if its bolted to a 2007 KTM they are 48s.

If I were the OP I'd look for a nice set of WP CCs to make rebuilt and re valved

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BushPig said:

Surely if its bolted to a 2007 KTM they are 48s.

If I were the OP I'd look for a nice set of WP CCs to make rebuilt and re valved

This is the route that I plan on taking. However, til I find a good set of CC WP forks, I will rebuild these (just seals and bushings) so I can get back on the trails.

Here's a pic of the bike with the "WP" forks.

IMG_20170624_205411427.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Droptyne said:

This is the route that I plan on taking. However, til I find a good set of CC WP forks, I will rebuild these (just seals and bushings) so I can get back on the trails.

Here's a pic of the bike with the "WP" forks.

IMG_20170624_205411427.jpg

Not to cause any additional upset, but that is an older shock as well.  Not what came on the 2006 models.  Shock looks 1998-2000ish.

shock looks like 03/05 to me?   t clamp is cast...bike may be a xcw, the xc had billet clamp in 07.

those KYB forks are not that bad, rebuild and ride.

the stock 07 xc fork had some sucky valving anyway.

Edited by E-TECH
  • Like 1