CarlosAragon

Gear oil for my Beta 300RR 2017

3 hours ago, shrubitup said:

My Mobil rotella equivalent does make finding neutral very easy on my Beta 300. I only experience clutch drag when the motor is cold.

the kid said with the factory fill on his 2020 it was so buttery smooth that he was never 100% sure he completed a shift.w/rot.15-40 t4 it now has just enough drag that hes more confident the gear is fully engaged because of feel.of course thats rider preference.

• Like 1

i better add that its a 2 stroke and he changes the oil approx. every 5 hrs. its cheap and easy

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shrubitup said:

Been doing this 14 years. I stick with name brand, lowest price. Never an oil related failure other than Amsoil in a KX100 (don't use Amsoil!! :banana:). I like the 15W40 because it's great quality at low price and I don't need to go to specialty retailers or buy enough of it online to get free shipping etc. Also in NW Washington and this grade works great.

I don't know if you're on a two or four stroke bike but on the two stroke, Beta lists 30 hour change intervals. I notice a decrease in performance at 20 hours using 15W40. I guess I could buy motorcycle specific oil and run it ten hours longer but it still won't cost less because the "non motorcycle" oil is only $1 a quart when on sale and using rebate from Mobil.

Where in the heck do you find that deal/rebate?

On 9/10/2020 at 8:59 AM, G-Berm said:

The rotella improves clutch drag on the beta?  Did you notice clutch drag and then switch to rotella and it improved?  Or are you just thinking it helps based on previous experience.  

I’ve been trying to improve my drag with changing oil brands, but nothing has helped so far.

Rotella T6 immensely improved the clutch action on my yz, I will run it in the rr as well. 

• Like 1

I use Maxima MTL 85wt.  Prior to that I used Rotella T4.  My Rekluse would slip, but with the Maxima it doesn’t slip.  I change oil every 10 hours.  I also run Maxima MTL 85 in my KTM 350 with a Rekluse.

Not when you are going up hill.  It disengages at a lower idle speed and as the engine increases speed it engages.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Rgksr said:

Not when you are going up hill.  It disengages at a lower idle speed and as the engine increases speed it engages.

My buddy runs a rekluse in his CRF450R, but he's still getting it dialed in. How do you apply the Vagisil, with a swab or just jam a finger up in your casserole? 

• Haha 4

On 9/9/2020 at 11:35 PM, GP said:

For years we have run the Rotella T6 5W-40W in Betas and GGs.  Change every two rides, or before and after every race.  One of the biggest pluses to me was the low clutch drag for in gear hare scramble starts.  GG motors I have pulled down looked excellent inside.  No need to tear the 400 hr Beta down yet. Running the new 15-40W T6 in my YZ250FX.  15-50W Mobil 1 also works well.  My neighbor buys into the bullshit of high $$ MC oil because he can leave it in the bike longer.  With no filter on  2stoke, a small one and very limited capacity on a much hotter running 4stroke, why would you keep oil (and the debris it has accumulated) in a motor for 20-30 hrs?   

So you like the 5W-40W for HS starts. Any issues in warmer weather or towards the end of the HS?

I do mostly Sprint Enduros with a few HS. I picked up some 5W-40W Valvoline synthetic today for a killer price, essentially the same as Rotella. Figured it would be great for any late season rides this fall and early spring.

Guys, don't buy into the BS for expensive oils. Beta Boano runs Rotella and so do lots of fast high level enduro teams. Rekluse recommended it until they started selling their own oil. 

• Helpful 1

1 hour ago, dave074 said:

So you like the 5W-40W for HS starts. Any issues in warmer weather or towards the end of the HS?

I do mostly Sprint Enduros with a few HS. I picked up some 5W-40W Valvoline synthetic today for a killer price, essentially the same as Rotella. Figured it would be great for any late season rides this fall and early spring.

Guys, don't buy into the BS for expensive oils. Beta Boano runs Rotella and so do lots of fast high level enduro teams. Rekluse recommended it until they started selling their own oil. 

That's all I have run for over ten years in 2stroke trans, over 400 hrs on the Beta alone with it.  NO problems.  Ran it in the FX all spring and got it a lot hotter than the Beta is some techy stuff and again no problems.  Will run it again when cold.  Not a big deal, anything similar will work fine.  If Mobil 1 15-50 W is on sale I'll buy that too for the FX.

If anyone has a pre '17 Beta 2stroke update the shift detent star and roller arm spring to the newer parts for improved shifting rather than chasing it with oil.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GP said:

If anyone has a pre '17 Beta 2stroke update the shift detent star and roller arm spring to the newer parts for improved shifting rather than chasing it with oil.

can you list the part numbers for this upgrade? My ‘16 300RE is rough to shift.

https://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/americanbetaconsumer/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=betamc&a=204&b=8&c=0&d=2018 RR 2T ENDURO 300 RACING GEAR SHIFT CONTROL

Edited by djl2014

On 9/15/2020 at 11:36 AM, HeavyRotationClassic said:

My buddy runs a rekluse in his CRF450R, but he's still getting it dialed in. How do you apply the Vagisil, with a swab or just jam a finger up in your casserole? 

I run a rekluse. Vagisil is way too expensive. I just use some Rotella T4, T6 causes chaffing. I apply liberally in the groin and buttocks areas. No issues whatsoever. Not sure about slipping on climbs when stopped because I never have to stop on even the hardest climbs, that was not the case when I used Motul. Just sayin'.

• Helpful 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Piney Woods said:

Vagisil is so much easier to carry.

Put the 'Tella in my hydration pack for those unplanned intimate moments.

• Haha 3

Máxima is top quality and Moto specific across their product line. I’ve used it for 20+ years In my bikes and plan to use their products in my new (to me) 2018 Beta 300 RR.

On 9/10/2020 at 12:30 PM, Emily_FC said:

So I’ve seen that some go with T4, some go with t6...any explanation on why you’d go with one over the other?

T-6 is a Group IV synthetic (stabilized dino; Mobil lawsuit), T-4 is a Group III standard dino. I think the Group IV is worth the price difference.

Anything that says 100% Ester is a Group V synthetic (turbine oil). I run this exclusively for 2t oil.

On 9/10/2020 at 12:41 PM, shrubitup said:

Been doing this 14 years. I stick with name brand, lowest price

Grade over group, group over brand. :cheers: