Heyo, in the market of looking for a smaller bore bike to save some hours on my 450.

currently looking at an really nice 04yz125 and a fully done up rm125, full rebuild and such. both bikes come with fmf exhausts and minimal extras. 

i hear the rm turns better and screams better ontop, but the yz has a better low to mid range. i'll be riding the bike in the top end all day long. 

what's better? 

Ill chime in. I owned a 2005 YZ125 and a 2003 YZ125. I loved them both. I loved the way they felt and the power. My '05 was the best I ever had in regards to a 125. I raced my 250 and 450 Beginner MX classes on it and placed Top 3 every weekend racing it. I put about 60 hours on the top end before ever replacing the piston and the compression was still good. Fast forward 3 years to today. I currently have a 2002 RM 250 and its probably the best bike I have ever owned, and I have rode it 5 times. I have owned a '15 YZ250 that was good, then now I have a '15 TC250 that is a little better IMO, and now I have my RM250. 

My RM250 is confidence inspiring to me. I can come into a corner as fast as I want to and know it'll stick. I've always been told if the bike is an extension of your body, then that's when you'll be the fastest. Everyone has a different preference. Both are good choices, but if it were me, I'd choose RM125.

Witch ever ones in better shape for the money.  Both great bikes I'd take either one over the rest. And I raced Kawasakis when on 125s lol but also had a 05yz125 few years ago was awesome bike with just a vforce reed cage 

Edited by Motox367