Riding Washington: Conconully

For the summer I am going to ride a new area every Saturday in Washington in search of new venues for the Ride For A Warrior Dice Ride and Raffles until the next event on Sept 15 and 16 near Ellensburg.

This weekend is was Conconully. Conconully allows all ohv's to ride in the city and out to the trail systems. The trail systems are great for UTV's,Quad's and dual sport bikes. There is very little single track but what there is is awesome! They have a fantastic state park with air conditioned cabin rentals on the lake,50c showers and all the other facilities you would expect from a well maintained state park. Down town is across the street from the park. There is also other lodging  available in and near the town.

Next Saturday will be the Wenas green dot system near Naches. I will be staging from Barbeque Flats.

Recommendations of other areas would be appreciated.

Russ

imageproxy.php?img=&key=b3312acf975e3c54

Bar.jpg

Cabin.jpg

Gas Station.jpg

Husky.jpg

Lake.jpg

Two_track.jpg

Vince.jpg

City Entrance.jpg

Edited by Russ Henry
Needed to add
  • Like 11

This looks like a great duel sport area. Looking at a map i see there are a series of forest service roads that would take you south towards Twisp and Winthrop. Looks like it would be a 40 plus mile ride on forest service roads to Winthrop. Having hunted in the hills north between twisp and winthrop,i know what a cool area this is. Another great thing is that you could stop for lunch in winthrop. Three finger jacks has decent food and a cold beverage both alcoholic and non alcoholic,  if you choose. Jacks has a family area, so if you have a child who has his/her endorsement but is not 21 then you can sit in the family area. There is a gas station not far from jacks that might be a chevron for those who might have fuel issues. If i remember right that gas station might have ethanol free fuel.

Great easy forest service ride that the significant other would enjoy. There are some dead end roads that lead to some peaks that have very scenic views of the methow valley. Wild life is abundant in the area. Mostly coyotes and deer. This is a very popular deer hunting area, so the forest will be full of hunters from the middle of October, to about November first. Plus as you move towards November you have a chance for snow, there are some years like last that this area gets a fare amount of snow during the winter.

Setting up a 2 day ride that had a duel sport option and a trail option would be a lot of fun. It would give people a choice and something different each day to ride if they choose to.    

• Like 1

For the summer I am going to ride a new area every Saturday in Washington in search of new venues for the Ride For A Warrior Dice Ride and Raffles until the next event on Sept 15 and 16 near Ellensburg.
This weekend is was Conconully. Conconully allows all ohv's to ride in the city and out to the trail systems. The trail systems are great for UTV's,Quad's and dual sport bikes. There is very little single track but what there is is awesome! They have a fantastic state park with air conditioned cabin rentals on the lake,50c showers and all the other facilities you would expect from a well maintained state park. Down town is across the street from the park. There is also other lodging  available in and near the town.
Next Saturday will be the Wenas green dot system near Naches. I will be staging from Barbeque Flats.
Recommendations of other areas would be appreciated.
Russ
> <a href=https://www.thumpertalk.com/uploads/monthly_2017_07/Bar.jpg.71a6685b89203bdbe0bd0d471b535a7a.jpg' alt='Bar.jpg.71a6685b89203bdbe0bd0d471b535a7a.jpg'>
Cabin.jpg.9c64a32d7e379af5de86a12f7f303328.jpg
595ae0fe699c9_GasStation.jpg.795086feee8f13691d16a4adab8bbc71.jpg
Husky.jpg.c66c4acb3af6cf837201805ad8ecd9bd.jpg
Lake.jpg.55ddd50f50be4a13168ed7c02c2996e6.jpg
Two_track.jpg.7c8a1b1a168815a3f83ff926e1d3daef.jpg
Vince.jpg.c059a2a28524013fa41f576dfdd40ab3.jpg
595ae6270af28_CityEntrance.jpg.7662f12675c7223c96c65e79a54d6bd0.jpg

Conconully is a place close to my heart. Buried my granddad there last year in a relatively unnoticeable cemetery. It was a place he treasured as my great grandfather had driven cattle over the pass from there. Both of those men were complex, and in many ways I strive to be not like them, but they sure were tough!

3 hours ago, Wonderspoon said:

You in for sure? I don't usually do big group rides but I think I can make this one.

Yeah. Normally I don't like big groups either but I have a ton of vacation to use and wanted to possibly expand my contacts out there for an eventful move. Otherwise 3-4 riders is max I want to be in

3 hours ago, Heb said:

This looks like a great duel sport area. Looking at a map i see there are a series of forest service roads that would take you south towards Twisp and Winthrop. Looks like it would be a 40 plus mile ride on forest service roads to Winthrop. Having hunted in the hills north between twisp and winthrop,i know what a cool area this is. Another great thing is that you could stop for lunch in winthrop. Three finger jacks has decent food and a cold beverage both alcoholic and non alcoholic,  if you choose. Jacks has a family area, so if you have a child who has his/her endorsement but is not 21 then you can sit in the family area. There is a gas station not far from jacks that might be a chevron for those who might have fuel issues. If i remember right that gas station might have ethanol free fuel.

Great easy forest service ride that the significant other would enjoy. There are some dead end roads that lead to some peaks that have very scenic views of the methow valley. Wild life is abundant in the area. Mostly coyotes and deer. This is a very popular deer hunting area, so the forest will be full of hunters from the middle of October, to about November first. Plus as you move towards November you have a chance for snow, there are some years like last that this area gets a fare amount of snow during the winter.

Setting up a 2 day ride that had a duel sport option and a trail option would be a lot of fun. It would give people a choice and something different each day to ride if they choose to.    

I really liked the snowmobile trails/un maintained forest service roads. I am sure there is more single track. I had a blast exploring and it was so cool to ride into town eat,gas up and go again the come back to the park,shower and relax!  The town has only had one official OHV event.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Engstrom said:

Yeah. Normally I don't like big groups either but I have a ton of vacation to use and wanted to possibly expand my contacts out there for an eventful move. Otherwise 3-4 riders is max I want to be in

That place looks like it has great potential for one of my charity rides. They are having a ATV jamboree starting July 17th. Looks like all ohv's can ride in and out of town.

Have you ever been to the jamboree?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wonderspoon said:

Conconully is a place close to my heart. Buried my granddad there last year in a relatively unnoticeable cemetery. It was a place he treasured as my great grandfather had driven cattle over the pass from there. Both of those men were complex, and in many ways I strive to be not like them, but they sure were tough!

Funny you mention cattle. There were black angus grazing all over the place

If you are in town before or after the ride let me know. I can play guide around some of the other trails. I have not ever done the cranky gulch/Wallace ride but it looks fun. I just have a hard time sticking to other people's schedules. I'm pretty task oriented when riding and big groups usually come with big bs sessions.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Russ Henry said:

That place looks like it has great potential for one of my charity rides. They are having a ATV jamboree starting July 17th. Looks like all ohv's can ride in and out of town.

Have you ever been to the jamboree?

I'd be there. Get In Touch with Pantra. Also make sure you check out bates Gould riding system and the radar dome while over there. If it works out I could guide you as I am over there every 4-6 weeks.

53 minutes ago, Wonderspoon said:

If you are in town before or after the ride let me know. I can play guide around some of the other trails. I have not ever done the cranky gulch/Wallace ride but it looks fun. I just have a hard time sticking to other people's schedules. I'm pretty task oriented when riding and big groups usually come with big bs sessions.

Definately have to send you a message. You see that new "pour" house in dt Colville? It's the perfect place to stop now after riding Batey Bould

Russ, an area you have not explored is the Divide Ridge Area. A very large off road and snopark. I've been there a couple times and barely scratched the surface. The area is starts at rim rock lake and hwy 12, goes east to the town of Tampico. Legendary 4x4 area  

A great map for this area and others in the neighboring areas is the "Yakima county recreation guide". Think I bought it at whistling jacks. 

Of note, something I'd missed is a long single track trail called the Gray Rock Trail. Starts at a recreational site known as Tree Phones. Norsepeak mentioned this to me last we met. I anticipate riding the area a fair bit during my motocation I am presently on and ending July 16. 

Comments on this Gray Rock Trail appreciated  

Edited by TigerTanker
  • Like 3

I'd be there. Get In Touch with Pantra. Also make sure you check out bates Gould riding system and the radar dome while over there. If it works out I could guide you as I am over there every 4-6 weeks.

Batey wouldn't be a great place for an event IMO. It's under some scrutiny and frankly, most of the trails are on the hard side for a big event. If you staged out of the LPO side of the system, I think that would work way better as the variety of trail difficulty is greater and the amenities for are far better (as in they exist)

10 hours ago, TigerTanker said:

Russ, an area you have not explored is the Divide Ridge Area. A very large off road and snopark. I've been there a couple times and barely scratched the surface. The area is starts at rim rock lake and hwy 12, goes east to the town of Tampico. Legendary 4x4 area  

A great map for this area and others in the neighboring areas is the "Yakima county recreation guide". Think I bought it at whistling jacks. 

Of note, something I'd missed is a long single track trail called the Gray Rock Trail. Starts at a recreational site known as Tree Phones. Norsepeak mentioned this to me last we met. I anticipate riding the area a fair bit during my motocation I am presently on and ending July 16. 

Comments on this Gray Rock Trail appreciated  

I have the map and been drooling overt the possibilities of that area. We need to talk. Call me when you can

On 7/6/2017 at 0:25 PM, Wonderspoon said:

Batey wouldn't be a great place for an event IMO. It's under some scrutiny and frankly, most of the trails are on the hard side for a big event. If you staged out of the LPO side of the system, I think that would work way better as the variety of trail difficulty is greater and the amenities for are far better (as in they exist)

folks bitchen about Batey?  What about?