CRF 450r rode with big hole in air filter

Hi all. 

It's my first time posting here. Had a bit of a problem were my 450 back fired into the air filter by the looks of it.

It was ridden after and only saw the damage when I went to clean it after. 

Any advice? Was going to take the carb and rubbers off to the head ect and give them a clean out, I suppose the damage is already done to the valves if it's got in. 

Thanks in advance 

received_1613340542017574.jpeg

Good shout. 

No backfire screen didn't come with the bike. It's never had a problem till now, going to have to invest in one by the looks of it. Don't want it to happen again. :-/

I have a screen for an 06 not using, what year is your bike, PM me.  But in reality just buy the twin air that's got flame resistant foam on the inside (one with black foam inside) and you should be fine

• Like 1

Nobody believes me when I tell them to leave the screen. I have seen 3 bikes catch fire with 2 sustaining pretty serious damage.

• Like 2

NoToil Super-Flo kit, comes with screenless cage, and flame resistant filter. Get a couple extra filters and you're good to go.  First purchase I make for a new bike.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, matte said:

NoToil Super-Flo kit, comes with screenless cage, and flame resistant filter. Get a couple extra filters and you're good to go.  First purchase I make for a new bike.

Why ? - it doesnt make any difference. its all in your mind thinking that youre making .000009 more HP

• Like 2

3 hours ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

Why ? - it doesnt make any difference. its all in your mind thinking that youre making .000009 more HP

Hey Captain Strawman of the Interwebs, please show me where I said it has anything to do with horsepower! :rolleyes: 

I like the NoToil filters because they're well made, much cheaper and easier to work with than the overdesigned OEM filters, maintenance is easier because I just throw the filters in the washing machine, and I like the cage because it's easy to clean and there's no fine wire mesh to get sticky and clogged with filter oil. I ran OEM filters for quite a while before I switched, this is just better in every way.

• Like 1

Thanks guys striped it yesterday give it all a clean out. Seems to be running fine. Taking it down to Taupo nz burm buster on the weekend (with a fire extinguisher) will know for sure then. :-)

24 minutes ago, matte said:

there's no fine wire mesh to get sticky and clogged with filter oil.

Poor Mr CrankyPants doesnt wike cweaning widdle iddy biddy mesh filter - poor widdle baby  :moon:

• Like 1

I personally hate NoToil,  the only place the oil seems to stick is on the garage floor.  The flimsy plastic frame of theirs makes me wonder how it will hold up.  And the cleaning, well I guess if you call that mess clean!  Ill stick with twin air flame retardant,  Good old low flash point solvent and Belray filter oil.  Been working for me.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ramjetV8 said:

I personally hate NoToil,  the only place the oil seems to stick is on the garage floor.  The flimsy plastic frame of theirs makes me wonder how it will hold up.  And the cleaning, well I guess if you call that mess clean!  Ill stick with twin air flame retardant,  Good old low flash point solvent and Belray filter oil.  Been working for me.

I've been using NT since around 2006, always works great for me, I use the aerosol oil (the red stuff), perfect seal without using any grease, inner boot is always spotless, good engine life. For cleaning I just throw a bunch of filters in the wash with a full scoop of OxyClean and one of Tide, filters come out like brand new, couldn't be easier, but if you've found something that works for you, no reason not to stick with it.