Clean the screen

Noticed low oil flow to the head. Changed oil and filter, but no big increase. I read about the screen inside the right crankcase cover at the bottom edge. I took the cover off, took about 30 minutes, and man was it worth the effort. Wow! The built-up crud in the screen was overwhelming; really makes a case for not using RTV ! From now on, it is the correct paper gasket with maybe a spray coat of Super Copper. I cleaned the screen with alcohol and a fine wire brush. What a difference. Great oil flow to the head now !!

Screen compared.JPG

Edited by HomerDodd

1 hour ago, HomerDodd said:

Noticed low oil flow to the head. Changed oil and filter, but no big increase. I read about the screen inside the right crankcase cover at the bottom edge. I took the cover off, took about 30 minutes, and man was it worth the effort. Wow! The built-up crud in the screen was overwhelming; really makes a case for not using RTV ! From now on, it is the correct paper gasket with maybe a spray coat of Super Copper. I cleaned the screen with alcohol and a fine wire brush. What a difference. Great oil flow to the head now !!

Screen compared.JPG

whats RTV?.....whats Super Copper?......and whats that black stringy stuff on the before pic?......what bike is this from?

Edited by joethumper
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, joethumper said:

whats RTV?.....whats Super Copper?......and whats that black stringy stuff on the before pic?......what bike is this from?

Joe:  it appears to be RTV (silicon gasket sealer) from previous owner repairs. Instead of using a correct gasket, he must have applied too much RTV, and the excess squeezed out and broke off into the crankcase. The screen picked it up before it got to the oil pump & passages. I never used that much during my repairs of the valve cover, etc.  Super Copper is a spray sealant that is not as thick and stringy. It is great sealant for paper gaskets, when sprayed lightly on each side of the gasket.

super copper.jpeg

8 hours ago, HomerDodd said:

Joe:  it appears to be RTV (silicon gasket sealer) from previous owner repairs. Instead of using a correct gasket, he must have applied too much RTV, and the excess squeezed out and broke off into the crankcase. The screen picked it up before it got to the oil pump & passages. I never used that much during my repairs of the valve cover, etc.  Super Copper is a spray sealant that is not as thick and stringy. It is great sealant for paper gaskets, when sprayed lightly on each side of the gasket.

super copper.jpeg

thanks for the explanations......so what bike did this come from?

3 hours ago, joethumper said:

thanks for the explanations......so what bike did this come from?

My 1985 XR200.  Great bike, even for its age, but good oil flow to the head is essential for these RFVC engines. I only use Rotella 15w40 4T synthetic, or Mobil 1 10w40 4T synthetic.

i bet your relieved......i seized up my camshaft......just rebuilt the motor and i have no clue what im doing but i have a shop manual and clymers for reference......

i used gasket sealer on the rocker cover......probably put some where i shouldnt of but i tried to be careful.....now im waiting to call my motor guy to see if he can get the collar off the cam.....

xrbroke 005.JPG

xrbroke 007.JPG

1 hour ago, joethumper said:

i bet your relieved......i seized up my camshaft......just rebuilt the motor and i have no clue what im doing but i have a shop manual and clymers for reference......

i used gasket sealer on the rocker cover......probably put some where i shouldnt of but i tried to be careful.....now im waiting to call my motor guy to see if he can get the collar off the cam.....

xrbroke 005.JPG

xrbroke 007.JPG

Try to avoid the RTV, and use the copper spray if necessary. After seeing the crud on my oil screen, I will be very cautious as to using RTV again.

RTV is only ok is VERY thin coat (no more than a sheet of paper) I've seen crazy stuff come out of engines, that's definitely in the top 5!! lol..

• Like 1

Wow! I'm new to the TT forum. I'm working on an 87 xr80r that has been in storage for over 25 years. The bike is gorgeous, except for some oxidation on the rims from age-old critter crap. I picked up a Clymer manual for it, to aid me in bringing this bike back to life to use as a pit bike. Anyway, I replaced the points. Getting the original gasket off the side cover was a friggin' nightmare! I thought, I'm not going to mess with the other side cover to get at the oil filter screen. Cause that would mean dealing with the other side cover gasket. But, since I was snooping around the TT site, and I ran across the picture you have illustrating all the crap that could potentially be in my oil screen, you're damn right I'm gonna change that oil screen! It would be a shame to seize this bike up just because I was too lazy to deal with an original, petrified side cover gasket! Thanks for the reality check!

• Like 1