1981 Honda XL500S Exhaust

Any recommendations for replacement exhaust? Old Supertrapp with no packing is just too loud. No way to remove core for repack without major surgery as far as I can tell.

Maybe that's different than mine but my supertrapp doesn't have packing in it. The disks on the end are the baffle and more can be added to change power and noise level. Maybe that's different

I agree super traps Are made quieter by adding disks

On 7/11/2017 at 10:45 PM, ickfinger said:

I agree super traps Are made quieter by adding disks

Actually they are made quieter by removing discs.

That style was a quieter Supertrapp believe it or not. I had one like it on my XR200r and I replaced it 'cause of weight savings. Looks as if you have a reasonable amount of discs for noise levels-don't add more-it will breathe better with more but adding more discs will make it louder. I did not run that style long enough to repack it but on Supertrapps I have re packed you take off the end cap and gently pry off that end of the muffler and the core w/packing slides out so you can replace it.

Getting a stock muffler for these Hondas is now almost impossible especially one in good condition.

If there are rivets holding core in you can drill them out and replace them. Supertrapp is still around....you could try contacting them...I wish you luck.