I got coolant in with the piston and cylinder

I made the genius mistake of getting about a 1/2 cup of coolant in the cylinder and on the piston. What do I do? Do I have to take the entire top end off, or is there an easier way to fix it? The gaskets are good. No leakage. I'm just a moron. 

Ive swamped a bike and me and a few buddys take out the spark plug, put it on our shoulders while one pushed the kickstart arm and pushes the water out

Flip it upside down and remove the spark plug. Kick it over to get as much coolant out as possible.

I would pour a little premix in the spark plug hole, maybe 3 ounces. Replace plug, cycle the oil a few kicks, then ride the hell out of it. Get it nice and hot to burn off all the coolant. The sooner the better!

31 minutes ago, Ayeecole said:

Drain the oil if it's a two stroke.

It is a two stroke and I'd already drained the oil because I was doing some clutch work. 

2 minutes ago, mikeylikesit said:

Flip it upside down and remove the spark plug. Kick it over to get as much coolant out as possible.

I would pour a little premix in the spark plug hole, maybe 3 ounces. Replace plug, cycle the oil a few kicks, then ride the hell out of it. Get it nice and hot to burn off all the coolant. The sooner the better!

Damn. I can't ride it at the moment due to a bad clutch pushrod. I'm waiting on a new one and won't be getting it for 4 days or so.

Upside down good idea or just tak pipe off kick over it push out. Spray wd40 or equivalent in kick over and repeat. Will displace all the moisture 

17 minutes ago, Motox367 said:

Upside down good idea or just tak pipe off kick over it push out. Spray wd40 or equivalent in kick over and repeat. Will displace all the moisture 

Can I just spray the oil directly into the spark plug hole? Also, I won't be able to do anything until tomorrow morning, about 10 more hours. Is that enough time to cause any serious damage? 

7 hours ago, road-rash3000 said:

Can I just spray the oil directly into the spark plug hole? Also, I won't be able to do anything until tomorrow morning, about 10 more hours. Is that enough time to cause any serious damage? 

Hopefully not . I'd spray there and take reed cage off and pipe . Spray from reed cage side when piston is up

8 hours ago, road-rash3000 said:

Damn. I can't ride it at the moment due to a bad clutch pushrod.

Since the coolant should have rust inhibitors, it's not as bad as water.

• Like 1

No need to turn it upside down if you can make the engine turn fast enough. Make sure the spark plug is removed, run as fast as you can with the bike beside you in neutral and click second gear. It will clear right out. 

6 hours ago, Motox367 said:

Hopefully not . I'd spray there and take reed cage off and pipe . Spray from reed cage side when piston is up

I did all of that, and I think I got it pretty cleared out, but ran into another problem. I removed the reed valve assembly, and when I did so, the gasket between the assembly and cylinder fell apart. I can't find a place to buy one. It's the only part out of the assembly that seemingly can't be bought by itself. It's a '98 YZ250. Does anybody know where/how to get one, or would Yamabond work for it?

19 minutes ago, road-rash3000 said:

I did all of that, and I think I got it pretty cleared out, but ran into another problem. I removed the reed valve assembly, and when I did so, the gasket between the assembly and cylinder fell apart. I can't find a place to buy one. It's the only part out of the assembly that seemingly can't be bought by itself. It's a '98 YZ250. Does anybody know where/how to get one, or would Yamabond work for it?

If you have all of the gasket could use yamabond and put pieces back on get you threw until get new one of next rebiuld. You'll be good to go. Maybe I shouldn't have told you to do that sry just I good way to get it to crank bearings is all. But yes I'd fix up old gasket use thin layer of yamabond at broken spots both sides 

I looked at the online parts fiche and it doesn't show a gasket on the cylinder fiche slide or intake fiche slide or with carb. Maybe there originally wasn't one???

Edited by johnk408

35 minutes ago, johnk408 said:

I looked at the online parts fiche and it doesn't show a gasket on the cylinder fiche slide or intake fiche slide or with carb. Maybe there originally wasn't one???

Hm, you're right. I was looking at the diagram wrong. I'm feeling conflicted now... I feel that there really should be some sort of gasket there, but those diagrams, as far as I know, don't contain massive errors, like missing a gasket. 

Unless there's rubber bumped out on the side that mates the case then needs gasket 

18 minutes ago, Motox367 said:

Unless there's rubber bumped out on the side that mates the case then needs gasket 

Okay. Earlier you said I could jury-rig it with Yamabond until my next rebuild. I'm assuming top end rebuild kits come with the gasket in question? I'm asking because I've never actually rebuilt one myself before 

6 minutes ago, road-rash3000 said:

Okay. Earlier you said I could jury-rig it with Yamabond until my next rebuild. I'm assuming top end rebuild kits come with the gasket in question? I'm asking because I've never actually rebuilt one myself before 

Yes I was just saying that some bikes don't use gasket it's built into the cage. But most and yours do :thumbsup: don't have to go crazy with the yamabond either lol 

2 hours ago, Motox367 said:

Yes I was just saying that some bikes don't use gasket it's built into the cage. But most and yours do :thumbsup: don't have to go crazy with the yamabond either lol 

Haha, I won't. Thanks for the help! I appreciate it.

• Like 1