Help limiting motorcycle speed, Rev Limter? MPH Limiter?

I was looking to buy a moped for emergency's, then, went to DMV to see what they said about them.  The only real limitation is that they say "anything OPERATED faster than 35mph is considered a motorcycle".  Since my 125 goes faster than 35mph and I know how i drive, i need a RPM limiter, and, or a MPH limiter.  Anyone ever use one or know where i can get one?

Thanks

49 minutes ago, sikpupy said:

I was looking to buy a moped for emergency's...

I have no idea how to solve your problem.  But I'm trying to envision what type of emergency would require a moped.  I'm coming up short.  "Oh my god, look at the sky!  It's a asteroid!  Hurry get the moped!"  

49 minutes ago, sikpupy said:

The only real limitation is that they say "anything OPERATED faster than 35mph is considered a motorcycle".  Since my 125 goes faster than 35mph and I know how i drive, i need a RPM limiter, and, or a MPH limiter.  Anyone ever use one or know where i can get one?

Thanks

So why not just ride it as a motorcycle?  

Even though I don't understand the problem, can you gear it so it won't exceed 35?  Or maybe wear a wrist brace?  Get a fat girl to ride on the back? 

Doc

P.S. I'm fully aware how unhelpful my post has been and I apologize.

I am on my own in this big cruel world.  If I work on my car and beaks a bolt that renders it useless until I get it replaced, well, then, "EMERGENCY"!!

I dont want to have to tag, insure, take motorcycle classes and all that other sheeeeeeit.

Re-gearing cost money.  Might as well get insurance if I go that route.

If I found a fat girl to ride on the back, I would just bang her out (meh, they dont scare me) and steal her car!  O_o

• Like 1

Honestly any electrical or mechanical solution is going to cost money.  At that point you have to wonder if it isn't cheaper just to buy a decent second hand moped.  I have disposable income so it's easy for me to say, but I'd just get a cycle endorsement,tags and insurance because that solution would give you the most flexibility.  But I understand that isn't necessarily an easy option for everyone.  So I get it, but I don't see an easy free solution....

Well besides the fat chick which I think is fricken genius.  They're very appreciative in bed to boot..  Crap gotta go.   The wife is hitting me again.

Best of luck to you.

Doc

Edited by Doc_d

You can't.  A simple google search proves it.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/motorcycles/motorcycles

A "motorized bicycle" or "moped" is:

A two or three-wheeled device, capable of no more than 30 mph on level ground, and equipped with:

- Fully operative pedals for human propulsion.
- A motor producing less than two gross brake horsepower and an automatic transmission.

- An electric motor, with or without pedals for human propulsion. (CVC §406(a))

Driver must have a motorcycle license (M1 or M2).

A "motorized bicycle" is also defined as a vehicle with pedals and an electric motor (not more than 1,000 watts) which cannot be driven at speeds of more than 20 mph on level ground even if assisted by human power. (CVC §406(b)).

If you operate a motorized bicycle which meets the definition of CVC §406(b), you:

- Must be 16 years of age or older.
- Must wear a properly fitted and fastened bicycle helmet.
- Are exempt from the motor vehicle financial responsibility, driver license, and moped plate requirements (CVC §12804.9).

A motorized bicycle is issued special license plates and identification cards, which requires a one-time $18 fee. No renewal is required.

• Like 1

The only requirements are as per below

Check to verify that:

You are titling a moped which meets the following as defined by Code:

• has 2 or 3 wheels

• has a motor size that is 50 cc's or less /1500 watts or less

• Vehicle will be operated on public highways at speeds of 35 mph or less.

NOTE:

Any moped operated at speeds exceeding 35 mph OR that has a motor displacement/input exceeding 50cc/1500

watts must be titled as a motorcycle. Additionally, operating a moped in excess of 35 mph requires the operator to

comply with all applicable motorcycle requirements and is a traffic infraction punishable by a fine

Edited by sikpupy

37 minutes ago, sikpupy said:

Check to verify that:

You are titling a moped which meets the following as defined by Code: §46.2-100:

• has 2 or 3 wheels

has a motor size that is 50 cc's or less /1500 watts or less

NOTE:

Any moped operated at speeds exceeding 35 mph OR that has a motor displacement/input exceeding 50cc/1500

watts must be titled as a motorcycle. Additionally, operating a moped in excess of 35 mph requires the operator to

comply with all applicable motorcycle requirements and is a traffic infraction punishable by a fine

I posted the code for where your location your profile says you live at.  :prof: 

The code # you posted before you edited it out was "Code §46.2-100:"  This means you live in Virginia.  :rolleyes:

Which one is it????   :excuseme:

Besides that your post states 50cc's or less and you have a 125cc motorcycle.....   :bonk:  125cc is greater then 50cc.   :doh:

:busted:

Just a side point but if you read the law to the letter it says "operated" at speeds more than 35mph, it says nothing about how fast it is capable of. However you are limited to 50cc. Maybe you can buy a sticker kit for a 50 and stick them all over the bike ?

2 hours ago, slideleft said:

what you doing in the northeast section ?

I think he's actually from Virginia even though he's pretending to be from California.

He is in northern Virginia.

He will never get a 125 plated as a moped. Law is under 50cc or less AND no faster than 35 mph. Google Kreidler. Awesome sub 50cc bikesd89f3210e540dc177ec3d255432589b6--vintagb1fe1207ba48360fb2a38b731e0f06bb.jpg

• Like 1

Here for work, and, thinking 95% of moving here.

Ahh, I did a word search on code § 46.2-100 and found the 50cc I missed,  I hate doing things at 1am, lol.

Oh well, can always put a turbo on it, plenty of room for that!!

Edited by sikpupy

6 minutes ago, sikpupy said:

Here for work, and, thinking 95% of moving here,  The codes do not say anything specific about using a 125 as a moped.  It says:

""Motorcycle" means every motor vehicle designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground and is capable of traveling at speeds in excess of 35 miles per hour. "

Unless I am wrong, a moped can go faster than 35mph also, so, with that theory, it just depends on what DMV says on the title/registration.  As long as I dont go over 35mph, I should be good.

Try again...   http://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title46.2/chapter1/section46.2-100/

"Moped" means every vehicle that travels on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground that (i) has a seat that is no less than 24 inches in height, measured from the middle of the seat perpendicular to the ground; (ii) has a gasoline, electric, or hybrid motor that (a) displaces 50 cubic centimeters or less or (b) has an input of 1500 watts or less; (iii) is power-driven, with or without pedals that allow propulsion by human power; and (iv) is not operated at speeds in excess of 35 miles per hour. For purposes of this title, a moped shall be a motorcycle when operated at speeds in excess of 35 miles per hour. For purposes of Chapter 8 (§ 46.2-800 et seq.), a moped shall be a vehicle while operated on a highway.

What you posted earlier stated this clearly also....   :rolleyes:    See the part I made bold for you so you can read it.   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

9 hours ago, sikpupy said:

Check to verify that:

You are titling a moped which meets the following as defined by Code :

• has 2 or 3 wheels

has a motor size that is 50 cc's or less /1500 watts or less

NOTE:

Please reread the post above, I reread the whole thing a few minutes ago, thanks.

Edited by sikpupy

23 minutes ago, sikpupy said:

Please reread the post above, I reread the whole thing a few minutes ago, thanks.

What is there to reread???  Anything over 50cc's has to be registered as a motorcycle not a moped, it states that clearly.   :smirk:

Read the link in the post you wanted reread.   :rolleyes:

A 125 can't be registered as a moped no matter what it's top speed is, it has to be registered as a "motorcycle" and comply with all applicable motorcycle requirements.   :prof:

"Motorcycle" means every motor vehicle designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground and is capable of traveling at speeds in excess of 35 miles per hour. "Motorcycle" does not include any "autocycle," "electric personal assistive mobility device," "electric power-assisted bicycle," "farm tractor," "golf cart," "moped," "motorized skateboard or foot-scooter," "utility vehicle," or "wheelchair or wheelchair conveyance" as defined in this section.

Your 125 was designed to exceed 35mph and it's 75cc's too large.  It's quite clear.  :doh:

It's a big cruel world....   :p

• Like 1

I had selective reading last night while watching sailing videos, googling "rpm limiter", reading the code and making this post.  I just wasnt paying attention...........at all.  Oddly enough, I CAN chew bubblegum and walk at the same time......  :excuseme:

Edited by sikpupy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, sikpupy said:

I CAN chew bubblegum and walk at the same time......  :excuseme:

I think video proof is necessary.   ;)