Best do it all tire from hard pack to thick mud

I know you guys probably get very tired of people asking for what tires tires to get, so sorry but here i go anyways.

Im pretty much looking for a do it all tire that will last. Not need to be replaced after several rides.

I mostly ride trails and single track, with the occasional track day. The terrain where i live changes alot. When its dry out the trails are as hard pack as you can get. With alot of rocks, and sharp rocks. But the second it gets a bit wet it all just turns in to a sloppy mess. Thick, thin, slimy clay and mud. Its a nightmare.

I was originally looking at some desert tires. Hard terrain tires with a harder compound to handle all the rocks, and not fall apart after a few rides. But i worry that desert tires wouldn't handle the mud very well? Then i was looking at softer tires that would handle the mud better, but being soft would get destroyed on the hard sharp rocks. So im kind of stuck??
What tire would be a good choice for me? Ones that don't excel in anything, but also doesn't suck in anything. Something that will last and not need to be replaced right away, but also not be useless when it gets wet and muddy. Tires that i can go from the hardest and rockiest of trails, to the muddiest of mud trails. A good do it all tire that will last and not chunk or wear down after a few rides (preferably last an entire season of weekend riding).

Thanks

I've tried and compared quite a few MX tires on my YZ but only started

riding trails last summer since buying a second bike so can't say I have much trail/off-road tire experience but,

my current Maxxis IT's have proven to handle just about any condition very well (although not the best at anything) and most importantly are very predictable.

Each ride I encounter:  dirt, sand, gravel, mud, pavement (even some snow late last fall), they also wear very well.

The downside is that they'd be rather heavy for motocross use but if your are only recreational MX riding perhaps not an issue.

Everyone has a favorite tire, depends on rider preference, brand loyalty, type of terrain and trade-offs you are willing to make versus 

other criterias: better in some soils versus others, stickier/better traction or long wearing etc.

By the way, in general hard terrain tires have a SOFTER compounds, which allows the knobs to flex and prevents them from tearing off or cracking,

the downside to a soft rubber compound in soft soils is that they flex rather than scoop, reason soft terrain tires have a hard compound.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, mlatour said:

By the way, in general hard terrain tires have a SOFTER compounds, which allows the knobs to flex and prevents them from tearing off or cracking,

the downside to a soft rubber compound in soft soils is that they flex rather than scoop, reason soft terrain tires have a hard compound.

Oh really haha, by bad. I always thought hard tires had hard compound rubber, to wear better. And soft tires were soft compound to flex and grab better.

28 minutes ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

No such tire.  Figure out where most of your riding is done and go from there.

+1

When you get really fed up of being stuck in mud or plowing thru sand you'll get soft terrain tires,

then when your new tire's knobs chunk, tear or round off in 3 rides you'll perhaps have a change of mind!

There is always the same handful of tires than come up as being good overall choices though.

Edited by mlatour

The IRC VE-33 rear in the 5.1x18" size with Tubliss is reasonably good in just about everything I think. Big knobs spaced wide apart so it'll hook over roots and self clean in mud and not roll on hard. It's soft rubber yet tough and durable. Old tire but a great one. Cheap too!

Closest thing I've found in the Kenda K270.  Performs best on dry, hard conditions.  Does well enough in deep sand and intermediate conditions.  In terms of wear it is excellent.  It lasts easily twice as long in the worst conditions than any other MX tire.  On intermediate terrain it'll literally last forever.

Mud is going to require a mud tire.  Nothing that works well in mud is going to last on any hard or intermediate surface.

Dunlap mx52 
20170628_112106.jpg.26e6887546bd281a3a6e8ab2125a2c65.jpg

I second that! I've been riding muddy, to sandy, to loam, to hard pack with that tire and it's amazing. I say it's better in softer environment then hard pack, but still pretty good. I ride mostly MX and some trails.
  • Like 1

The MX52 is not great on hardpack and doesn't last very long unless you keep it in soft to intermediate terrain.

Its a good front tire but the rear doesn't get the job done for me.

32 minutes ago, downonmonday said:

I second that! I've been riding muddy, to sandy, to loam, to hard pack with that tire and it's amazing. I say it's better in softer environment then hard pack, but still pretty good. I ride mostly MX and some trails.

Yes works good I'm liking the front on 450 works good. 

There are different types of mud. I found the mx52 rear clogs/packs badly in sticky clay. Turns into a 10kg slick donut. Spinning won't clear it. Front even worse.

Even the Bridgestone x30 will pack/clog well before the VE-33 so I cannot image the x40 in the mud I ride in.

The stuff here is rocks, even the dirt is gravel based. Our mud is never bottomless, which is why i like the x40. It's knob pattern and soft carcass works well in rocks, and it's tolerable in the little true mud we have here.

How bout the new Michelins? Maybe the intermediate Starcross would work.

Another vote for the IRC VE-33. A great all around tire that is tough as nails but will hook up in all conditions.

I use to run the IRC ve-33 strictly until I tried the M5B. If you like destroying your buddies with roost, making it through almost any mud bog and climbing all the hills your buddies failed on, go with the M5B.

That said the VE-33 is a great do it all choice as well