Sign in to follow this  

KE100, cheap bike to get back into things

Well ive been wanting a dual sport for a while now. Used to ride dirt bikes a lot as a kid. And then had a street bike out of high school but haven't ridden in 15 years?

Been watching for something like a Yamaha 250 but wife has been balking at prices.

Well she's been watching for me and found a 2000 KE100 for $750. Guy said he'd take $500.

Looked at it, rode it around and said I'd take it.

It's not the fastest, or the coolest or the most capable but it'll get the job done for me. And that job is to be fun.

20170703_203015.jpg.983ebef86b7bc98c4d398a4733835d32.jpg20170703_203009.jpg.98feab3d5e833bc5bd2d0f2b1cc609d6.jpg

• Like 2

I had a '72 in '72 as my first almost full size motorcycle. Lots of fun and got me addicted. 👍

• Like 1

Congrats, looks like fun! When I was a teenager my mom's friend had one of these, and he let me ride it up at our cabin. Once my friend and I doubled it 10 miles down a trail/road to a river and back up, like 2000' vertical one way. It was about 100 degrees, and that thing never gave up.

• Like 1

Took it to the store yesterday, longest trip.  Not far.

It didn't want to run without the choke.  Guess I'm gonna learn about the carb.

3 hours ago, Pyzik said:

Took it to the store yesterday, longest trip.  Not far.

It didn't want to run without the choke.  Guess I'm gonna learn about the carb.

Had the same problem with mine after a long winter. Carb was full of rust and water, a good cleaning fixed it. Guessed condensation with the enclosed side mounted carb for the rotary valve.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2017 at 11:33 AM, Flagstaff said:

Had the same problem with mine after a long winter. Carb was full of rust and water, a good cleaning fixed it. Guessed condensation with the enclosed side mounted carb for the rotary valve.

I started to take it apart yesterday.  Poked around but didn't want to get into it with the little time I had.  Hoping I can today or at least before the weekend. 

• Like 1

My view on your "new" DS bike:  I love small bikes.  They are light, maneuverable and a blast to ride.  I've had several.  Having said that, remember after a while,  that you may decide you'd rather have something with better, more modern suspension.  It won't beat you up so much when it gets REALLY rough.  So, take that carb apart and clean it, get some new DS tires and have fun with it.  Good luck!

• Like 1

My view on your "new" DS bike:  I love small bikes.  They are light, maneuverable and a blast to ride.  I've had several.  Having said that, remember after a while,  that you may decide you'd rather have something with better, more modern suspension.  It won't beat you up so much when it gets REALLY rough.  So, take that carb apart and clean it, get some new DS tires and have fun with it.  Good luck!

Thanks. It's been fun the short little outings I've had. I am hoping to get at the carb tomorrow. I keep saying that but kids and wife keep me busy. 😉

I almost asked about tires but have been looking around. There are some small cracks. It's probably due for some rubber

As for DS tires, I'll give you some here-say, but you can do your own research on them.  Pretty much everyone who buys them likes them. Shinko 244.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, motoxvet said:

As for DS tires, I'll give you some here-say, but you can do your own research on them.  Pretty much everyone who buys them likes them. Shinko 244.

Wow, those are pretty inexpensive.  I'll probably give them a shot. 

Congratulations on the KE.

Trail riding is about having fun, if you can't do that, there's little point.

I don't know of any KE videos to prove how capable a small, low powered bike can be, but here are some links for a Honda XL185 to keep you feeling good about your practical trail bike purchase. Also, the KE had a very long production run and spare parts are dirt cheap.

http://www.tractionerag.ca/nov2016/index.html?utm_source=Traction+eRag+November+2016&utm_campaign=November+2016+Traction+Release&utm_medium=email

• Like 2

Awesome, had one of those in my pre-driving youth, bullet proof, enjoy the heck out of it, so simple not much goes wrong. You got a lot of fun for cheap!