DRZ400S Front Sprocket Rattle

Good Day,

I have a 2014 DRZ400s with 4500km.  Original chain and sprockets.  During riding, at any speed really and in any gear, you can hear a "rattle" like sound coming from the what seems to be the front sprocket cover area.  You can really hear it prominently if you lean over tot he left and listen a bit lower down.  When you decelerate the sound goes away; but always there during constant speed riding.  If I look down it does seem that the chain is doing some jumping.  Chain rollers seem to look fine.  Chain is adjusted as per the manual.  Here is the key....If I over tighten the chain to where there is just 1/2 inch slack at the most the noise goes away.

I also have the chain jumping when the bike is on a stand and just turing over slowly in first gear.  From what I read this is normal...is that correct>

Any ideas? Should i replace both sprockets and chain? 

Cheers

Chargerman

Take the cover off to make sure the front sprocket nut is tight.

At the 3 O'Clock position on the rear sprocket, try to pull the chain away from the teeth. If you pull it away and more than 1/2 off the sprocket tooth at that location then the chain is worn out.

Always replace chain and sprockets as a set.

• Like 1

Thanks.

Any other ideas out there?

It is not banging against the cover.

Alignment maybe?

Chargerman

Thanks.
Any other ideas out there?
It is not banging against the cover.
Alignment maybe?

Chargerman

Are you saying that you checked the nut and it's not the issue? Or are you just looking for a different answer?

It is likely that the nut is loose. Your the 3rd poster this week complaining of the same noise. The other two both ended up having loose countershaft nuts. It is a common problem.

Bent the washer back flat. Checked it. Not loose.   Loosened and torqued back to 80lbs. 

• Like 1

So after looking at everything, adjusting the whole bike, switching out with a buddy's chain and sprockets....the culprit was the upper chain roller.  The roller was vibrating and knocking left to right between the frame and the bracket.  There is no damage to it...it is like brand new...but the axle bolt just a shade too long it seems.  A very thin washer put in to take-up the extra slack but still allow it to turn, and a little hard grease along the axle bolt.  Voila. Quiet.

• Like 2