Rico area: What trail is this?

Gent's,

Looking to make a side trip down to the Rico/Dolores area in August during our annual moto trip to Colorado. Can any of you local guy's tell what trail this is and if so, how to access it?

Thanks much!!

Edited by BD100

Looks like Calico.  Upper part has been closed, last year and will be this year, too.  You can access most of it below the top.

Calico Trail, going from south to north.  The turn off that was passed in the first video is Johnny Bull Trail.

• Helpful 1

Don't know why everyone feels obligated to direct more traffic to a hotly contested area in an online forum. This is why TP has been overrun. Looks like this area will be next. G

• Helpful 1

2 hours ago, 2012 450 xc-w said:

Don't know why everyone feels obligated to direct more traffic to a hotly contested area in an online forum. This is why TP has been overrun. Looks like this area will be next. G

Good point.  But, fortunately it is out of the way enough that it still doesn't get much traffic other than folks from the surrounding area, its not a day trip for most, and camping is pretty limited..

Edited by cjjeepercreeper

5 hours ago, 2012 450 xc-w said:

Rico is a great area with amazing riding.

But Taylor Park is congested for reasons far beyond a little chatter on an obscure forum:

- it attracts a huge ATV crowd

- the Taylor singletrack system is much bigger

- It has huge amounts of camping and a two reservoirs that attract like flies.

- it is easily within friday afternoon drive distance from the front range population centers.

7 hours ago, 2012 450 xc-w said:

I rode there two weekends ago on a Saturday morning, starting around 10:30.  We rode Eagle Peak Trail and Stoner Mesa Trail.  We didn't see another motorcycle the whole time we were out.  The only other people we saw were two mountain bikers.  The area may be hotly contested, but using it isn't going to affect whether we lose it.  People should go enjoy it while they can.   If we do lose it, it will because of that foreign a-hole who owns Dunton.   

Taylor Park is overrun by all the ATV people, and the all the Denver Metro area people.  I live in Mancos and don't ride the Rico/West Dolores trails all the time because they are a long ways from anything and I've got good riding right from the house.  There are hardly any front range riders using them and they are never crowded.  The trails are also above the difficulty level that a lot of people enjoy riding.  That alone keeps people off of them.  

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, joetroop30 said:

The trails are also above the difficulty level that a lot of people enjoy riding.  That alone keeps people off of them.  

That's a big key right there.  Stoner Mesa is probably the only trail that is fairly easy, the rest are rooty, rocky and technical.  The last trail I ran there was last Sept. and it was Eagle Peak, I was pretty tired and having altitude issues ( I live at 6k) for some reason and didn't even finish it, and its not that long.

6 hours ago, joetroop30 said:

I rode there two weekends ago on a Saturday morning, starting around 10:30.  We rode Eagle Peak Trail and Stoner Mesa Trail.  We didn't see another motorcycle the whole time we were out.  The only other people we saw were two mountain bikers.  The area may be hotly contested, but using it isn't going to affect whether we lose it.  People should go enjoy it while they can.   If we do lose it, it will because of that foreign a-hole who owns Dunton.   

Taylor Park is overrun by all the ATV people, and the all the Denver Metro area people.  I live in Mancos and don't ride the Rico/West Dolores trails all the time because they are a long ways from anything and I've got good riding right from the house.  There are hardly any front range riders using them and they are never crowded.  The trails are also above the difficulty level that a lot of people enjoy riding.  That alone keeps people off of them.  

When Cottonwood Pass gets paved I think we'll be done. TP is going to be swamped by the Denver crowds. 

16 hours ago, 2012 450 xc-w said:

Lighten up Francis! I can assure you we're not the stereotypical out of town d-bags who'll show up and abuse your trail system, disobey the rules and pizz off the locals. I'm very aware of what's going on with the Rico Trails and the billionaire, Christoph Henkel. In fact, I spoke with Ranger Debbie Kill late last year when we were planning our trip. She filled me in on the status of the trails and also made mention the comment period. She made it sound as if closures were not forthcoming anytime soon. Although, this may have changed since.

So... relax, G. If we do decide to make the trip to Rico, we'll be minimal impact on your trail system. Promise!

Edited by BD100
  • Like 2

Honestly you could be the most respectful, polite rider there is and the people who are fighting to close those trails won't differentiate you from a d-bag rider.  All they see is the bike.  To them it's not enough to have hundreds of thousands of acres of wilderness area and thousands of miles of trails close by that are already closed to motorized usage.  Their type wants it all closed to motorized usage.  They are still going to sneer, glare and be a-holes if you see them on the trails, no matter what you're doing.  That's why I think we should all be out there enjoying the area anyway.  

I have absolutely zero respect for Backcountry Hunters and Anglers and Henkel.  I don't know what hunters BCHA represents, but as a hunter I've never met someone who shares their views.  Henkel thinks because he owns a small plot of land, and he can charge other rich snobs an astronomical fee for using it, that he also should own the national forest surrounding it.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, joetroop30 said:

Honestly you could be the most respectful, polite rider there is and the people who are fighting to close those trails won't differentiate you from a d-bag rider.  All they see is the bike.  To them it's not enough to have hundreds of thousands of acres of wilderness area and thousands of miles of trails close by that are already closed to motorized usage.  Their type wants it all closed to motorized usage.  They are still going to sneer, glare and be a-holes if you see them on the trails, no matter what you're doing.  That's why I think we should all be out there enjoying the area anyway.  

I have absolutely zero respect for Backcountry Hunters and Anglers and Henkel.  I don't know what hunters BCHA represents, but as a hunter I've never met someone who shares their views.  Henkel thinks because he owns a small plot of land, and he can charge other rich snobs an astronomical fee for using it, that he also should own the national forest surrounding it.  

Trout Unlimited is just like BCHA, harmless sounding name for a bunch of eco nazi &%$#@!.  And speaking of Henkel and his bunch, I am firmly convinced that the damage to Upper Calico was caused by horses, dirt bikes don't make that king of mess of things.  Horses trying to get through a mucky area will tear it up bad.

• Like 1

If you decide to go up and over Sockrider (which is the still on the 2nd video and frowned upon by the District ranger but technically legal) please only go south to north, as the northern aspect climb is not sustainable. Better to just stay off it entirely and take low trail tho. As far as crowds go I've been riding and clearing these trails for almost 10 years now and i have seen an increase in use from moto riders. we are by far the majority user on these trails so we are easy pickings for the anti access crowd when it comes to user impacts on the trail. We have the most impact because there are more of us using these trails than MTN bikers, hikers or horses. Just like the most popular hiking only trails around Telluride are  far more hammered than any trail in the rico system because they get hundreds of people a day on them. 

Current conditions in Rico still won't allow for big loops due to snow but I think we are really close. 

On 7/6/2017 at 8:38 AM, cjjeepercreeper said:

Trout Unlimited is just like BCHA, harmless sounding name for a bunch of eco nazi &%$#@!.  And speaking of Henkel and his bunch, I am firmly convinced that the damage to Upper Calico was caused by horses, dirt bikes don't make that king of mess of things.  Horses trying to get through a mucky area will tear it up bad.

I've never seen a horse up there anywhere except for the FS trail crew about 5 years ago. The problem is the trail alignment, it pretty much follows the fall line and once water gets in there it just runs and runs rutting it all out.There have been many requests by the local moto guys to help reroute it out of the wetlands area and get it off the ridge so maintenance is greatly reduced. Shockingly they don't seem to want to work with us on that. 

• Like 1