Headlight shroud question

Does anyone know if I can replace the headlight shroud on my 2000 DRZ with the more modern style used currently? I'm not sure if the headlight itself is a different size or shape. They don't share the same PNs but that doesn't convince me of anything... 

Edit: I know the older model light will bolt up to current model fork brackets as I have already done so

Are you talking about the number plate or the actual light itself? I run a 4x6 LED and really like it

Awesome thanks for the help! Newer style is much more aggressive looking I feel. How's the light output on the LED?

The 4x6 LED is far better than stock or most replacement bulbs.  Bit of fab work for mounting needed.

6 minutes ago, 38super said:

The 4x6 LED is far better than stock or most replacement bulbs.  Bit of fab work for mounting needed.

I used zipties ;) Its been on for like 400 miles now with no issues

Whatever you do don't mount the OEM S/SM headlight as-is :) It's crazy heavy. Bunch of metal and glass. It's basically a '70s car headlight :) I'd find something lighter - KLX or KTM knockoff headlights for instance. I'm going for a white KTM-inspired EBay Special and a Cyclops LED bulb. Got them ordered and on the way.

• Like 3

I have the 4x6 led with brackets and the 2009 mask available. The mask isn't absolutely perfect but not bad either. It had holes in it when I got it for blinkers I think. I covered them with new graphic. You can see them if you're looking for them, but again not bad. Small amount of fade, prolly could compound it to brighten it up lil more. The LED is perfect though. It only has a few rides on it. I liked the LED, plenty bright, also has low and high beam. Plugs right in. The only reason I changed it I saw a 16' KTM and spent the $$ on the conversion. Anyway $45 + shipping if interested. Thx, Ken. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Ondastreet said:

I have the 4x6 led with brackets and the 2009 mask available. The mask isn't absolutely perfect but not bad either. It had holes in it when I got it for blinkers I think. I covered them with new graphic. You can see them if you're looking for them, but again not bad. Small amount of fade, prolly could compound it to brighten it up lil more. The LED is perfect though. It only has a few rides on it. I liked the LED, plenty bright, also has low and high beam. Plugs right in. The only reason I changed it I saw a 16' KTM and spent the $$ on the conversion. Anyway $45 + shipping if interested. Thx, Ken. 

Nice bracket, does it sit flush at the front of the shroud? I have that light and it sits back in the shroud a bit. Would look cleaner if it was flush.

And why do we call it 4x6 if it's 3x5? Am I missing something?

18 minutes ago, HansLanda said:

Nice bracket, does it sit flush at the front of the shroud? I have that light and it sits back in the shroud a bit. Would look cleaner if it was flush.

And why do we call it 4x6 if it's 3x5? Am I missing something?

Thx I modded some L brackets I had laying around. I sits back a touch but looks natural. I had it as a tight fit so it was as flush as possible. Mine is 4x6 lol. Tight fit in mask but goes in nicely. 

3 minutes ago, Ondastreet said:

Thx I modded some L brackets I had laying around. I sits back a touch but looks natural. I had it as a tight fit so it was as flush as possible. Mine is 4x6 lol. Tight fit in mask but goes in nicely. 

Oh right 4x6 inches, haha. Forgot. There are 3x5 LEDs so I was missing the point.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2017 at 4:36 AM, Anthon Berg said:

Whatever you do don't mount the OEM S/SM headlight as-is :) It's crazy heavy. Bunch of metal and glass. It's basically a '70s car headlight :) I'd find something lighter - KLX or KTM knockoff headlights for instance. I'm going for a white KTM-inspired EBay Special and a Cyclops LED bulb. Got them ordered and on the way.

@Anthon Berg I've got the ebay ktm headlight and cyclops in the mail. Any tips on installing that combo, and any issues with the heat of the cyclops?

On 7/6/2018 at 11:48 PM, Bhodel112 said:

@Anthon Berg I've got the ebay ktm headlight and cyclops in the mail. Any tips on installing that combo, and any issues with the heat of the cyclops?

Apologies for the belated reply :)

Did you get it pieced together? When I ordered mine, I ordered an H4 bulb and a KTM headlight, which takes a BA20D bulb, so I had to do some light fabrication. This is unnecessary if you get a headlight and bulb that match. I wanted the KTM headlight style. Nowadays I'd get the Cyclops BA20D bulb that they have started making.

To make the H4/BA20D hybrid I  ended up using ... Sugru. First study and take pictures of how the crappy original bulb sits in the new headlight's reflector, from the front. To get a feel for how it throws light out. Notice the little metal shield on the incandescent bulb filament which stops light. IIRC the shield is on the top of the filament as mounted. Has to do with high/low beam as I recall? Take pics! So you don't have to go back and reassemble once you notice you don't remember how the bulb sat before like I did :)

Now pull out everything that is removable from inside the headlight - everything that's supposed to be removable. Bulb and plastic base. Now drop the H4 LED bulb in headlight to check fit and alignment. The H4 bulb will actually sit surprisingly tight in the stripped BA20D mount in the headlight. Take note of the shield on the bulb. It's supposed to be oriented the same way as the shield on the old incandescent bulb's filament. (Up?) When you're satisfied that the new bulb is positioned to throw a similar beam, then split the Cyclops bulb from its base by screwing it out. And glue the base in. I used Sugru.

This is actually easier to do than to explain :)

And even easier if you get a matching bulb and headlight ... Still worth the mod though.

Mounting the headlight is done with the included rubber straps. Tied to the forks. You have to stretch them a little but they hold very well. I removed all the old headlight mounting hardware I could. If I remember right then the mounts hold both the blinkers and the headlight. So part of that remains on. I might grind it down later.

No issues with heat, but I feel kind of not super comfy with having the fan and electronics somewhat exposed. But folks say it's OK.

Thanks for getting back! I found instructions on some other forum for how to use part of the old materials with some heavy dremmeling and everything worked out well. It seemed like I had to drop the forks to remove the stock headlight mounts, which I was not prepared to do. So instead, this was a full ziptie job on my end(A LOT), but its tight for now. I also ziptied cables/wires as far away from that fan since it runs hot and no pinching or burning issues to note. So happy I made the switch.

20180710_225824.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bhodel112 said:

Thanks for getting back! I found instructions on some other forum for how to use part of the old materials with some heavy dremmeling and everything worked out well. It seemed like I had to drop the forks to remove the stock headlight mounts, which I was not prepared to do. So instead, this was a full ziptie job on my end(A LOT), but its tight for now. I also ziptied cables/wires as far away from that fan since it runs hot and no pinching or burning issues to note. So happy I made the switch.

20180710_225824.jpg

Looking good! Very good!

Here’s mine. More of a utilitarian look! Still, I really like the the ’90s RM replica fender I picked up. Copied from a really nice DRZ from a couple British guys’ trip around the planet. Can’t recall the name / website. Fender goes well with the chinese-KTM lantern :)

C13B58C1-55A3-4BC4-A6B6-D148259A00A9.jpeg

DFD441AA-CACE-419E-A609-CF5FA8B4629D.jpeg