sticky float

Bike will not run.  Gas pours out the bottom overflows.  Noticed the float gets stuck on the choke tube?  This can't be good.  Any thoughts?

Stuck Float.jpg

Bike will not run.  Gas pours out the bottom overflows.  Noticed the float gets stuck on the choke tube?  This can't be good.  Any thoughts?
595ba3c959fa1_StuckFloat.thumb.jpg.b7be0213c272532b918e9e3528fb7629.jpg

Yup, something isn't right. Please post a pic from above (bottom view of carb).

Could just be bent tube or float carriage.

This should be something easy to fix, because you can hold it in your hand and observe exactly what's going on.  If something is touching something else that it shouldn't, figure out if you can bend it a bit to fix the problem.  Just tilt the carburetor so that the float is hanging down and rotate it between the open and closed position.  Adjust until no part of it is close to rubbing where it shouldn't and you'll be all set.

That is, unless your needle isn't sealing, then you'll have to find a solution to that too.  Once you get float movement working, I would runs some fluid through the gas inlet tube and make sure that float needle seals with the tiniest bit of pressure.  You may as well get EVERYTHING right while you're in there.

What carbs are these? Off early 80s XR or XL ? Looking at last pic of top view, I see a  tang or tab near hinge on one side.( on right side, the tower on the one side looks taller also) It looks like it could be bent /adjusted to limit swing movement to avoid touching that brass tube. BUT not too much or it wont let floats down enough  to let fuel flow.

I believe this carb is from an XR600R, at least that's what someone wrote on it with a Sharpie.  I bent the tab to limit the movement of the float and it appeared to help on the bench.  I've installed the carb back on the back but left the air box boots off so i could spray starter fluid directly into the carb with the throttle open.  I definitely have spark but it will not give any indication of starting as i kick the crap out of it.