Sign in to follow this  

yz450f yz450f as a beginner , should i keep pushing and learning with it or just buy a 250 4t !?

I start my motocross challenge with 2011 YZ450F . although i had many years experience with heavy cubic MC , from the first start i underestand it have so much power . and the first try MX track was scary and i decide to sell it . but as i am a stubborn person , i keep pushing and learning whit this bike . + mapping it as soft as possible and now i am getting better . last weekend i tried a rmz250 and was amazed how well i can drive it, but i didnt like it there was no power in it :D . now i need help : my friend suggest me to change to a 250 2 stroke : so how dose it feel to change from 450 4t to 250 2 stroke  !? it is getting even harder !? or should i just not give up and keep pushing and learning with a 450 !? or maybe i just go to 20 4 stroke !?

IMG_2017-07-04 18:14:39.jpg

This should be moved to the MX technics section. 

You didn't mention your height/weight/age but learning on a 450 isn't recommended. The 250 2-stroke idea isn't really ideal either for a beginner. I suggest you learn on a 125 2t or a 250F before you start pushing the 450. You could end up really injured if you don't learn the basics of throttle control, braking and cornering. Yes the 450 can jump anything but you can get messed up in a hurry on it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dklassen said:

This should be moved to the MX technics section. 

You didn't mention your height/weight/age but learning on a 450 isn't recommended. The 250 2-stroke idea isn't really ideal either for a beginner. I suggest you learn on a 125 2t or a 250F before you start pushing the 450. You could end up really injured if you don't learn the basics of throttle control, braking and cornering. Yes the 450 can jump anything but you can get messed up in a hurry on it.

Tanx for the comment , i am : 187.3 pound and 5.7 foot tall . yes i underestand even 2stock are harder to ride . it is a good idea just to buy a 250f beside this one and train on it !? i am not bad on throttle/clutch control and for braking i am improving,  but cornering is a big mess for me :( .

You mention you didn't like the lack of power, so scratch the idea of going to 250 4t. You answered your own question.

Look more into your bike setup so you can improve your cornering perhaps? Good luck

• Like 2

I admire you buying a 450 for your first dirt bike, that's kind of unheard of.  LoL. Anyway, I have to agree with Maiphut on this one.  If you are already used to the torque and power of the 450 and was let down by a 250 2 stroke, then I would just set up the 450 correctly for yourself.  They are a lot of bike to get thru the corners cleanly if you're inexperienced in dirt riding, but you already bought it, so might as well just get used to it.  Look into suspension tuning, like adjusting the clickers, setting up sag, and spring rates.  This will help a lot with cornering.

And I'll throw this out there too, being I just informed a good friend this weekend that didn't know.  Make sure you are bleeding your forks after every ride.  My buddy was complaining about his front end not feeling as good as it used to.  He was clueless on the bleeders.  I must have let out about 7 psi out of each fork leg.

Good luck, be careful, and have fun!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, High On Octane said:

I admire you buying a 450 for your first dirt bike, that's kind of unheard of.  LoL. Anyway, I have to agree with Maiphut on this one.  If you are already used to the torque and power of the 450 and was let down by a 250 2 stroke, then I would just set up the 450 correctly for yourself.  They are a lot of bike to get thru the corners cleanly if you're inexperienced in dirt riding, but you already bought it, so might as well just get used to it.  Look into suspension tuning, like adjusting the clickers, setting up sag, and spring rates.  This will help a lot with cornering.

And I'll throw this out there too, being I just informed a good friend this weekend that didn't know.  Make sure you are bleeding your forks after every ride.  My buddy was complaining about his front end not feeling as good as it used to.  He was clueless on the bleeders.  I must have let out about 7 psi out of each fork leg.

Good luck, be careful, and have fun!

Tanx for your suggestion and advice i will go through them and will see how it will help me , i just need to learn how to bleed the fork and adjusting different things . just to let you know : i have tried rmz250 which is a 4 stroke . i am totally a noob in dirt bike and underestand to have one need a lot of maintnance done by myself , which is fun :D;) 

one thing which helped me was ECU re-mapping this 450 to be able to use the power better : 

Fuel Injection (FI)
+2 +2 +2

+3 +3 +2

+3 +3 +2
Ignition (IG)
-5 -5 -6
-5 -6 -6
-7 -6 -5

I am a rookie on a 450, only because I couldn't pass the deal on it. Keep a finger (or 2) on the clutch all the time. Get some classes or videos in body position and basic techniques. After being properly sprung and sag set (major help in turning). Other setup issues like bar position (in line with forks) fork height in clamps will help.
Most importantly, keep a finger or 2 on clutch ready to use at the 1st smell of whiskey!!!!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Red800rider said:

I am a rookie on a 450, only because I couldn't pass the deal on it. Keep a finger (or 2) on the clutch all the time. Get some classes or videos in body position and basic techniques. After being properly sprung and sag set (major help in turning). Other setup issues like bar position (in line with forks) fork height in clamps will help.
Most importantly, keep a finger or 2 on clutch ready to use at the 1st smell of whiskey!!!!!

tanx for your advice i already used some video to learn clutch technique . but for body positioning and other thing watching isnt enough and i cant get them 100% right . I ride in woods and deep sand mostly and i am alone usualy and no one is riding with me to see my technique and correcting me :))) . 

7 hours ago, aminem said:

tanx for your advice i already used some video to learn clutch technique . but for body positioning and other thing watching isnt enough and i cant get them 100% right . I ride in woods and deep sand mostly and i am alone usualy and no one is riding with me to see my technique and correcting me :))) . 

So. I'm confused. I thought you were talking about riding track. In deep sand the 250 4-stroke will feel slow-- im talking the dunes. Everywhere else the 250 4 stroke would be better. You'll be faster and learn to ride quicker on a 250. Then move to a 450.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, aminem said:

I ride bush and sand. I find keeping the power on as much as I can keeping the front lighter helps in sand. Tires for sand help. Lowest tire pressure possible help. If I'm going through a very loose sandy corner I will have my butt planted and towards the rear of the seat, power on as much as I can. Practice practice, you'll get the feel for it 😉 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Maiphut said:

I ride bush and sand. I find keeping the power on as much as I can keeping the front lighter helps in sand. Tires for sand help. Lowest tire pressure possible help. If I'm going through a very loose sandy corner I will have my butt planted and towards the rear of the seat, power on as much as I can. Practice practice, you'll get the feel for it 😉 

tanx bro am going today , will try to do some deep sand as well :D

I feel like a 250F is probably the most rider-friendly full-size bike out there, between 125 / 250 2 strokes and 250 / 450 4 strokes. I can understand how it might feel a bit slow in sand out in the open, but honestly in most cases you would likely be a faster better rider on a 250F compared to the other 3. As you learn on that bike, you can get more and more aggressive with it. That is in corners, jumps etc just everywhere. Plus, I would bet that you will make less mistakes on a 250F than any other bike. So basically, I think a 250F is your best bet. Easy to ride, but still enough power to do what you need to do. And as you get better, the bike gets faster (you learn how to keep the momentum up etc). Just my opinion. Good luck.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ah665 said:

I feel like a 250F is probably the most rider-friendly full-size bike out there, between 125 / 250 2 strokes and 250 / 450 4 strokes. I can understand how it might feel a bit slow in sand out in the open, but honestly in most cases you would likely be a faster better rider on a 250F compared to the other 3. As you learn on that bike, you can get more and more aggressive with it. That is in corners, jumps etc just everywhere. Plus, I would bet that you will make less mistakes on a 250F than any other bike. So basically, I think a 250F is your best bet. Easy to ride, but still enough power to do what you need to do. And as you get better, the bike gets faster (you learn how to keep the momentum up etc). Just my opinion. Good luck.

thank you, i am looking for a 250 or 350 4t right now . i have tried my friend 250 4t and i was convinced that thats the way to go 

• Like 1

On 7/6/2017 at 8:54 PM, Red800rider said:

have you done any changes in your ECU maps ???

i have tried a new map which is more advance than my previous one  and i feel a little better now :D .

Type of Use (Woods, Enduro, Deep sand and a beginner on track  )

Fuel Injection (FI)
+2 +2   0

+2 +3 +1

+2 +3 +2
Ignition (IG)
-2  -1  -1
-2  -2  -1
-3  -2  -1

****** My old map as a suggestion for the beginners  *******

Fuel Injection (FI) (this was the old version i had and you can see the detail in the post above this one )
+2 +2 +2

+3 +3 +2

+3 +3 +2
Ignition (IG)
-5 -5 -6
-5 -6 -6
-7 -6 -5

Mine is carbureted 06. Full exhaust upgrade and jetted.
I understand some (if not all) FI models have a "bite" just off idle so good move taming your map. STILL develop the habit of 1 or 2 fingers covering clutch. (I cover front brake also unless twisted WFO). Ride on, no substitute for seat time. 2 weeks without riding is my limit as far as keeping sharp, I still have to take a little extra time to get up to speed after 2 weeks off.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Red800rider said:

Mine is carbureted 06. Full exhaust upgrade and jetted.
I understand some (if not all) FI models have a "bite" just off idle so good move taming your map. STILL develop the habit of 1 or 2 fingers covering clutch. (I cover front brake also unless twisted WFO). Ride on, no substitute for seat time. 2 weeks without riding is my limit as far as keeping sharp, I still have to take a little extra time to get up to speed after 2 weeks off.

good , i am doing the same . i just love the power of 450 . but am going to ger a 350 or 250 to have them beside this one :D🙂 

I made a post similar to this one In November

I don't know how far I would of gotten without the power tuner.The 450 is a beast and what has kept me in check is applying solid training techniques at the track, Also I am lucky to have a job that lets me ride once a week .I think i would have progressed faster on a light bike and still plan on getting one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hybridrace said:

I made a post similar to this one In November

I don't know how far I would of gotten without the power tuner.The 450 is a beast and what has kept me in check is applying solid training techniques at the track, Also I am lucky to have a job that lets me ride once a week .I think i would have progressed faster on a light bike and still plan on getting one.

I know how it feels to ride this bike , which map you currently have !? how you tunned your bike in order to get more comfi !? 

On 7/17/2017 at 1:37 AM, aminem said:

I know how it feels to ride this bike , which map you currently have !? how you tunned your bike in order to get more comfi !? 

I am running linear torque for hard pack conditions, this was designed for the 2017 model but works well for me on my 13.

Fuel Injection (FI)

+2+2 +2

+2 +1 +1

+2+1+1

Ignition (IG)
-3 -3 -3
-2 -2 -2
-3 -2 -2

I got the bike used, so the suspension was all off, so i went back and set everything to stock as recommended in the manual. Then I set sag. Its a nite and day difference ridding with correct sag. I cant understate how much that matters.

7 hours ago, hybridrace said:

I am running linear torque for hard pack conditions, this was designed for the 2017 model but works well for me on my 13.

Fuel Injection (FI)

+2+2 +2

+2 +1 +1

+2+1+1

Ignition (IG)
-3 -3 -3
-2 -2 -2
-3 -2 -2

I got the bike used, so the suspension was all off, so i went back and set everything to stock as recommended in the manual. Then I set sag. Its a nite and day difference ridding with correct sag. I cant understate how much that matters.

Tanx for the map and technical detail :) . 

here is the map i am using right now 

Fuel Injection (FI)
+2 +2   0

+2 +3 +1

+2 +3 +2
Ignition (IG)
-2  -1  -1
-2  -2  -1
-3  -2  -1

I will try your mapp to underestand if they are completly different or working in a same range .