I have a xr 200 r its ran like a champ for the past five years but started smoking about a year ago and burning oil ive heard there are tricks such as pouring coke or diesel down the heads and letting it soak in to help solve it smoking is there anything else or would this work thank you.

Try doing a top end on the bike, its worn out.  Cheap and easy on those.  Its an XR200, you didn't say what year but it has to be at least 15 years old.  Time for a rebuild.  Bore, piston and rings, valves and seals and possibly a cam chain.

Edited by cjjeepercreeper

It's a 96. I'm not mechanical inclined enough to do a rebuild that's why I was hoping to avoid it 

Either fix it or sell it. If it is as bad as you say, continued running will just cause more damage and make it more expensive to fix. Sadly, many guys with bikes like this never take care of them and beat them until they are scrap. Do not be one of them (unless it is already too late).

• Like 1

On 7/4/2017 at 2:36 PM, GOTWHEELS said:

You need a cheaper sport.

He didn't complain about cost, just commented on not wanting to have to get it done since he's not mechanically inclined. 

Stobjohn, those "tricks" you mentioned, are just redneck cover ups that just mask the issues. They're not fixes. 

Like a couple of you said already, probably time to get the top end rebuilt. Could be as simple as a hone and new rings. But be prepared for a fresh bore and piston kit. Cam chain be something good to replace. Valves and seals, valve seats, I wouldn't worry so much about that stuff right now since that's where you start adding to costs and isn't usually the problem.

Depending on what all's needed, you could be anywhere from  $200-400. Or more, but I won't speculate. 

I had my top end done on my '90 xr200r not long ago, just a fresh bore, and new piston kit. Runs great and doesn't smoke at all. Cost me $400 or a little over, but that included splitting cases and replacing my kick starter mechanism (that I provided), and a complete gasket/seal kit. Eventually will do the valves, port and polish, all the good stuff, when money is there for extras. 

Good luck with getting it freshened up. If you don't want to do it, I'll take it 😆

The trick of pouring Coke into the spark plug hole works.
Dissolves the carbon and lets the rings re-seal.
Coke, Pepsi, RC Cola... anything will do

4 hours ago, arthur6 said:

The trick of pouring Coke into the spark plug hole works.
Dissolves the carbon and lets the rings re-seal.
Coke, Pepsi, RC Cola... anything will do

Jolt with a shot of octane booster is the only way to go............!:thumbsup:

Old School Al

• Like 1

On 7/9/2017 at 9:08 PM, Old School Al said:

Jolt with a shot of octane booster is the only way to go............!:thumbsup:

Old School Al

lol, i miss those octane boost posts!