How is the 17 250FX or 18 if someone has one?

I had a 15 250FX and don't feel I gave the bike a fair shot. I liked it and then rode a new 16 350xcf which was light weight and more cc's so had to try one and now riding a TX300 two stroke. Tired of messing with the jetting though and thinking about going back to a 250F and right now my choices would be 250FX or 250XCF.  So just looking for some input from anyone who has the 17's, I know they got all the upgrades as the F did in 17 but just wanting to make sure it's still a good reliable bike.  I'm 52 and now riding Super Senior A when I do race but mainly trail ride these days and 215lbs in street clothes. I know the bike will have plenty of power so not worried about that. 

Thanks

Have about 5 hours on my '17, so far loving it. Same weight class as you, HS. Suspension is a bit stiff, but slowly getting it dialled in somewhat.

Was too tall for me, so went with a Devol pull rod and low GYTR seat. Can get both feet tippy-toes down now haha.

Can feel a bit of a gap between 3rd and 4th gear, but once the speed kicks up a but on the flowing trails, it's awesome.

Sold my YZ450, thinking I would get a 450FX to replace it, but this 250 is such a gas, I think I may just save the cash...

Image 7.jpg

• Like 2

21 hours ago, GRamg said:

Have about 5 hours on my '17, so far loving it. Same weight class as you, HS. Suspension is a bit stiff, but slowly getting it dialled in somewhat.

Was too tall for me, so went with a Devol pull rod and low GYTR seat. Can get both feet tippy-toes down now haha.

Can feel a bit of a gap between 3rd and 4th gear, but once the speed kicks up a but on the flowing trails, it's awesome.

Sold my YZ450, thinking I would get a 450FX to replace it, but this 250 is such a gas, I think I may just save the cash...

Image 7.jpg

What happened to your barkbuster?

Nothing? It's angled down so the flag covers my fingers for going through the bush. It's a smaller flag than I cared for, but all the

shop had in stock at the time. Run my levers fairly downward, centre of the bar lines up with the lever.

Pic might make it look strange, was almost ground level with the  camera lol.

It does look strange, like it is low in line with the clutch lever. Correct placement is flat level with the ground when the bike is upright, otherwise they have no strength and will fold under with any real impact. 

• Like 1

Really? I've laid it over half a dozen times, hasn't moved??

Didn't see any point in buying to to protect my hands, then have it rotated up to like you're saying, and having my fingers exposed...

Figured I'd use the "protection" aspect of them :ride:

Image 3.jpg

Edited by GRamg

It does look strange, like it is low in line with the clutch lever. Correct placement is flat level with the ground when the bike is upright, otherwise they have no strength and will fold under with any real impact. 

Agreed. I was always curious why some folks pointed there hand guards way down like that. Seems like they would just fold down on the first tree you hit.

Not going to lie, it looks goofy as well. This is how I roll, pretty flat with the ground like you mentioned. Solid hand protection for banging off tress. IMG_1499301834.037576.thumb.jpg.e02a1eaa99409816262842f5f112eba6.jpg

• Like 3

But if you guys look at the size of the flag/guard, both of yours are significantly larger than mine. If I rolled mine upwards, my finger tips/knuckles are exposed.

For these particular guards, trust me, they're in position to bounce off trees and such, and keep the digits intact… :-)

Thanks to the couple people who actually responded to the thread title with comments on the 17 or 18 FX models and how they like them and how they are doing.

Didn't realize this thread would turn into a hand guard discussion/position. Who cares where you run them if you like them that way then run them that way. :thumbsup:

• Like 5

My fingers hurt just looking at those pictures.

Somebody is asking to get introduced to Mr. Pain.

The 17/18 models outside of a bit more power (maybe 2hp) are going to 'feel' exactly like your previous 15 model.

At your weight, I can't understand why you consider a 250f outside of it being just a fun factor. The 350 would be a better choice in terms of power.

All things being equal, the KTM 250xcf for outright competition is hard to beat. 20+lbs lighter and considerably faster. All the internet talk about the lack of bottom-end on the KTM can be summed up in no less than a gearing change. The 250xcf is geared tall, as was my 350xcf. A tooth in the front and she's has as much torque as you'll need.

But with the 250FX you'll have a big stator, ability to run a kickstarter, a wider more versatile 6spd, and of course Yamahas proven track record of reliability.

*And in the first picture, the handguards serve no functional purpose. Could be the angle of the camera, but the look to be on a very steep decline...and they look dumb!

Edited by Monk
  • Like 2

Not sure how your thread got derailed OP, sorry bout that. It's a great bike, tons of fun in many different types of terrain.

You'd get a kick out of it I'm sure. And to the rest of ay's, you guys set up your bikes how you like them, I'll do the same, and enjoy the ride!

Thanks for the constructive criticism Monk!

To  answer your original question.  I think the bike will be even more reliable.  I went from a 14 -17 f model.  The power difference was only slightly noticeable.  But since then they've updated the pistons cranks cases.  So it's safe to say that reliability has only improved.

First, let me apologize for the derail. Second, is the 18 lowered in the rear like some do with a different length susp link?

Thanks for the additional comments on the FX. Now I just have to decide which way I want to go. I'm not sure if the 18 has a different link to lower the rear or not might need to look into that but the 15 wasn't an issue for me.

As for the 350 or 250XCF I had a 16 350XCF and it was a nice bike but I felt like it was a bit to much at times in the stuff we ride so if I do end up with another KTM I would probably try the 250XCF model this time around. For now though the FX has my interest I just wish the bike was a bit lighter weight wise but it's not a big deal.

My 2 cents.  Since you mention weight.  I race the mx model offroad.  I do revalve and have an 18 in rear but most would revalve anyway.  I like the tighter trans offroad I don't feel I need all the extra's on the fx.  I don't want the weight of the starter.  My efi's have started perfectly every time.  I don't want the kickstand.  So if weight is really you concern you should seriously consider the F....it's a awesome weapon. 

18 has no major changes..deals are coming out on 17's.  I'd get the 17...

Thanks for the additional info. and I hear you on the MX model because I don't really need the extra's either but I don't think I will own another thumper without estart. I know the EFI models have helped but just don't think I want to go that route again.  I need to ride my buddies 17 and see what it feels like. I liked my 15 and really didn't notice the weight when riding it. 

Although I have no basis for comparison, the 17 is an absolutely amazing bike.

Even stepping down from a 450f I have never felt like the bike didn't have enough grunt for whatever I throw at it(50% trail, 50% track.) As a bigger rider at 6'2, 210lbs, novice/intermediate range, sometimes I've expected the bike to struggle, but it never has.

The bike just feels so damn planted and stable(once you adjust things to your liking), the confidence is never ending. I had the option of a 15 or 17 when I got it back in January, but I'm glad I went with the 17.

• Like 1