Sign in to follow this  

xr200r oil passageways?

does anyone know where the oil passageways are for the rocker-arm cover.....id like not to seize up a cam again.....and maybe i can see what i did wrong putting sealant on the rocker-arm cover.......thanks

They pass oil up the studs. Between that and the down pin.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, joethumper said:

does anyone know where the oil passageways are for the rocker-arm cover.....id like not to seize up a cam again.....and maybe i can see what i did wrong putting sealant on the rocker-arm cover.......thanks

Did you test your pump and the passage off the pump?

Did you install the little rubber plug in the lower half of the head right next to the cam bushing when you put the cyl head together...........?

Old School Al

• Like 1

Im sure many people have lost the little plug when bead blasting, using a parts washer or just blowing off the head. I always wondered what would happen if it was missing?

2 hours ago, Old School Al said:

Did you install the little rubber plug in the lower half of the head right next to the cam bushing when you put the cyl head together...........?

Old School Al

yes i installed it

4 hours ago, mtek said:

They pass oil up the studs. Between that and the down pin.

one of the outer rocker cover bolts stripped, the one forward of the decompressor......so i lock-tited it in......do you think i blocked something putting lock-tite on that bolt?

The oil goes from the oil pump into a passage in the right case, you can see it when the right cover is off.  The oil then flows to three places; the tranny, the head, and the crank.  Near the right rear head stud is an oil passage and a small metering orifice that is easily plugged by oil debris. The oil flows thru it and then up an annular cavity around the right rear stud to the the head. It goes past the base and head gaskets. In the head it goes some drilled passages to the right cam journal. There is a small rubber plug between the cam cover and the head that seals a passage to force the oil to the cam journal. Oil then flows inside the cam to lube the left journal and to fill the tray under the cam to splash lube the cam lobes and rockers. 

Common engine seizure is lack of lube oil to the right cam journal. A friend bought a twin shock XR200 and changed the oil, started the bike and while it was warming up the cam seizes. PO sold it just in time.

So make sure all of those passages are clean and clear for oil passage. I test all of the passages with compressed air as I assemble the engine.

Some advocate pouring oil into the tray under the cam before first start but that doesn't insure the oil passage is clear. Others suggest no oil in the cam tray and kicking the engine without a spark plug until oil comes up to the head, you can see it via the exhaust valve adjusting plug, at least 20 kicks.  

55 minutes ago, Chuck. said:

The oil goes from the oil pump into a passage in the right case, you can see it when the right cover is off.  The oil then flows to three places; the tranny, the head, and the crank.  Near the right rear head stud is an oil passage and a small metering orifice that is easily plugged by oil debris. The oil flows thru it and then up an annular cavity around the right rear stud to the the head. It goes past the base and head gaskets. In the head it goes some drilled passages to the right cam journal. There is a small rubber plug between the cam cover and the head that seals a passage to force the oil to the cam journal. Oil then flows inside the cam to lube the left journal and to fill the tray under the cam to splash lube the cam lobes and rockers. 

Common engine seizure is lack of lube oil to the right cam journal. A friend bought a twin shock XR200 and changed the oil, started the bike and while it was warming up the cam seizes. PO sold it just in time.

So make sure all of those passages are clean and clear for oil passage. I test all of the passages with compressed air as I assemble the engine.

Some advocate pouring oil into the tray under the cam before first start but that doesn't insure the oil passage is clear. Others suggest no oil in the cam tray and kicking the engine without a spark plug until oil comes up to the head, you can see it via the exhaust valve adjusting plug, at least 20 kicks.  

thanks chuck for taking the time and really doing a great job of explaining.......you are greatly appreciated !!!!!!!!!